Official Trade Speculation/Proposal Thread III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
It's also possible Vanek gets hurt making the trade a total disaster. Desperation also works both ways. While playoff teams may be desperate to acquire key pieces for their runs, they also know that Snow will be desperate to move these players and recover some type of assets.

It's a matter of who blinks first and I believe that the market for Vanek is fairly limited and shrewd GMs will not overpay for a rental particularly knowing that Snow simply cannot allow him to walk away at the end of the year and get nothing for him.

Austria should be a quick out so hoping he performs well and avoids any contact and unnatural motion.....

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
To get a guy like Subban, it's going to cost more than AMac and a C level prospect like ANess. Maybe add pieces we get from a Vanek trade like Vey/Pearson.... and even then I don't think Boston bites with AMac being a UFA rental.

Like I said, I have no clue of Subbans real value, maybe send a higher draft choice and a better prospect to Boston from our d core for him. But with Boston being interested in AMac I thought it might be an option.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
It's also possible Vanek gets hurt making the trade a total disaster. Desperation also works both ways. While playoff teams may be desperate to acquire key pieces for their runs, they also know that Snow will be desperate to move these players and recover some type of assets.

It's a matter of who blinks first and I believe that the market for Vanek is fairly limited and shrewd GMs will not overpay for a rental particularly knowing that Snow simply cannot allow him to walk away at the end of the year and get nothing for him.

As long as there are 2 teams that are serious about adding Vanek, we are guaranteed to get a good return. Especially if those teams end up being Anaheim and LA. I'm pretty sure each team will add a little extra since it won't just be about adding Vanek - it will be about keep Vanek away from your biggest rival.

Both of these teams could be serious players.

MikeT98213

Dec 18, 2002
Visit site
As long as there are 2 teams that are serious about adding Vanek, we are guaranteed to get a good return. Especially if those teams end up being Anaheim and LA. I'm pretty sure each team will add a little extra since it won't just be about adding Vanek - it will be about keep Vanek away from your biggest rival.

Both of these teams could be serious players.

True but remember that there are other top 6 forwards available...not any of Vanek's calibre but less costly in terms of players/picks/prospects. One of these teams can opt for Moulson and the other could trade for someone like Cammaleri at a far lower price than the cost for Vanek.

This upcoming deadline is probably the most important of Snow's tenure as GM. Has has to come out of it with a reasonable number of quality assets.

bmg97

Jul 8, 2011
Islanders trade Vanek to Rangers for Callahan and the Islanders lock him up multi year.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Like I said, I have no clue of Subbans real value, maybe send a higher draft choice and a better prospect to Boston from our d core for him. But with Boston being interested in AMac I thought it might be an option.

I think it's a possibility

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
Islanders trade Vanek to Rangers for Callahan and the Islanders lock him up multi year.

Well....i just puked in my mouth a little bit thinking about signing a 3rd line winger for first line money. I know i know, its the intangables right? Wont have to look far to see how drury and his intangables worked out for the rags at 7 million per.

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
I would love Callahan with the Isles. Perfect PK, grinding guy. Perfect. Not for Vanek though obviously.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Why would we want Callahan?

Why wouldn't we want him?

Leadership & direction on the ice, ability to slot in on any line and perform a role for each, never takes a night off, is not a giant puss like the majority of the top 6.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Why wouldn't we want him?

Leadership & direction on the ice, ability to slot in on any line and perform a role for each, never takes a night off, is not a giant puss like the majority of the top 6.

I think he's pretty overrated. I'd give him 4.5 million, but not 6 or 7. He's not going to be worth whatever contract he signs, and I really don't know how much of a leader he is.

Paulinho

No Man's Sky
Jun 8, 2003
Earth
I don't think Callahan is overrated but I know one thing, guys that play the way he does have a short life span.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
It's rumored between 6.5 and 7 million. Even if he wanted 6 he's not worth even close to that.

He is going for Dustin Brown money. Callahan is a comparable player minus the fighting. Brown is over paid. Some team that wants a leader and is willing to factor that in will over pay for Callahan.

Last edited by a moderator:

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
He is going for Dustin Brown money. Callahan is a comparable player minus the fighting. Brown is over paid. Some team that wants a leader and is willing to factor that in will over pay for Callahan.

I think Callahan is the type of player you overpay for. Even though his body will deteriorate faster because of the style of play, his example will cause others to play better for years.

He's exactly what this team needs, he's a nose to the grindstone leader and just as importantly is a defensively responsible forward that you can put out there to help protect a lead, something our current forwards are not capable of. If he's available on July 1, he should be our second priority behind a goaltender.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Last Night I Had The Strangest Dream

Last Night I Had The Strangest Dream

(With all due respect to songwriter Ed Mccurdy)

Last night I had the strangest dream
I ever dreamed before
I dreamed the world had all agreed
To put an end to war (Islander misery)

I dreamed I saw a mighty room
The room was filled with (competent) men
And the paper they were signing said
They'd never fight (suffer again as Isles fans)

----------

And I dreamed the following:

After the Olympic break we traded A-Mac to Boston for Malcolm Subban

Vanek changed his mind and signed the original deal offered by the team. He announced at the press conference that he changed his mind because his wife wanted to live in Great Neck instead of Minneapolis.

Brock Nelson scored in six consecutive games and the team announced he was staying at center the rest of the season

Frans Nielsen was traded at the deadline to Nashville for Roman Josi (it’s MY dream dammit . . .)

Ryan Strome was brought up to fill Frans’ position and scored at a half a point per game average for the rest of the season

Josh Bailey and Vis were sent to St. Louis for Chris Stewart and Ian Cole

At the draft we traded the #4 overall pick to Anaheim for Fredrik Andersson and their 1st (30th overall after winning the Cup and resigning Hiller)

After his junior season ended Griffin Reinhart was brought up for the final five games of the season and immediately made an impact, ending with 3 points and a plus-5. TSN announcers took note and immediately speculated that Toronto would offer either Kulemin and a 2nd or Clarkson straight up for him and that it might happen. TSN ratings take a nosedive a week later when Canadian viewers couldn’t stop laughing hard enough to turn the TV set back on. (Again, it’s MY dream dammit . . .)

In free agency Marion Gaborik agrees to a one year, $1,000,000 contract with the Isles to, in his own words ‘prove himself to his new team’. We also signed Nikita Nikitin to add size to the back end.

The start of the 2014-15 NHL season sees the Isles set an NHL record with 15 consecutive wins before once again struggling in November (not even in my dreams can we play better in November – LOL!). Then December 1st comes around and the team posts a 38-5-12 the rest of the season to win the regular season #1 seed, then coasts to a Moses Malone style 4-4-4-4 playoff run to win the Stanley Cup!

And giving Buffalo the 30th overall pick in the 2015 Draft :p:

The 2014-15 Stanley Cup Champion NY Islanders!!

Andersson / Nabakov

CDH – Hamonic
Reinhart – Josi
Cole – Nikitin
Hickey/Donovan

Vanek / JT / Okposo
Lee / Nelson / Stewart
Grabs / Strome / Gaborik
MM / CC / C-Mac

----------

Unfortunately I woke up this morning and found out NONE of this has happened yet.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I think he's pretty overrated. I'd give him 4.5 million, but not 6 or 7. He's not going to be worth whatever contract he signs, and I really don't know how much of a leader he is.
On a character level, this club and it's overabundance of "men" who play like rich, delicate girls needs a shot of someone like Cali.

On a financial level, we may even need him to make it to the cap. Imagine getting no UFAs of value, just like last summer. For the cost of 3 PMBs, I would rather have Cali instead. We have to make the floor somehow, and he is an honest player who plays with heart every game, and would 100% help fill that need for someone who can pick the kids up when they are down (momentum swings that killed us this year).

On a PR level, signing the Ranger's heart and soul, when we are moving to Brooklyn would be an absolute coup. We would steal some fans and their season tix.

I think Callahan is the type of player you overpay for. Even though his body will deteriorate faster because of the style of play, his example will cause others to play better for years.

He's exactly what this team needs, he's a nose to the grindstone leader and just as importantly is a defensively responsible forward that you can put out there to help protect a lead, something our current forwards are not capable of. If he's available on July 1, he should be our second priority behind a goaltender.

Exactly, though I would put goaltending, defense, and him in the same "get it done" category.

scott99

May 13, 2005
The only realistic part is him staying cause his wife liked Great Neck. It's an awesome town, I've lived there since 2006. Would love to see Vanek as a neighbor !

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
The only realistic part is him staying cause his wife liked Great Neck. It's an awesome town, I've lived there since 2006. Would love to see Vanek as a neighbor !

A fellow Great Necker? I knew I liked you for a reason Scotty. I grew up in GN and my brother took over the family house. GN South Rebels Rule! Screw North! :)

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland

No one has a problem with Callahan the player. We absolutely could use him. The problem is giving him $7M per year which is probably what it would take for him to choose us. At that money, I'd rather just offer up our top-5 pick+ for ROR and hand him a mega contract. Maybe not as much heart as Cally, but does everything else plus being better offensively, more versatile, and younger.

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
No one has a problem with Callahan the player. We absolutely could use him. The problem is giving him $7M per year which is probably what it would take for him to choose us. At that money, I'd rather just offer up our top-5 pick+ for ROR and hand him a mega contract. Maybe not as much heart as Cally, but does everything else plus being better offensively, more versatile, and younger.

Why trade a top 5 pick? A guy like Bennett may develop into a much better player than O'Reilly. There are so many recent top 5 picks that I would love to have on the team such as Landeskog, Ryan Johansen, Evander Kane, etc. Wouldn't it be better to have Callahan and Bennett or Ritchie or Reinhart?

You make a good point about the salary and age and if we could get ROR for Vanek, I would love that. However, I wouldn't give up our pick this year especially with no pick next year no second last year or next year. Eventually it catches up with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad