Official Trade Speculation/Proposal Thread III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Reinhart almost made it last year, and did make it this year. He outplayed more than half of our defensemen.... probably everyone not named Visnovsky, to be honest. Anyone saying that this kid isn't ready, is either not paying attention, or they're stuck in the thought process of every player having to play in the AHL before they're ready.

He's ready right now, and he has been ready for quite awhile. This much will be evident early next season.

I'll start by admitting I read more about him than I see. I think he'll make it evident he should be, get assigned to Bridgeport anyway, and be next year's deHaan when we're screwed before we realized we didn't have to be. I don't think his talent level will be the most motivating factor, though.

Since the song remains the same - "what offal will we sign to neglectfully address the goalie/top-4 defenseman/top-6 forward problem to limp far enough over the cap floor to avoid getting penalized," I think if they find a way to do it without Reinhart, he'll start on the Bridge. If they need his cap hit "Nino-desperately," he'll start on the big club.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
The isles will force this year's first rounder to play for them even if he isn't ready and put ten million dollars of bonuses into his deal. Problem solved. Give me a hard question next time.

Also, Reinhart's contract is a hit of $3,244,167M. He makes the roster next year. GUARANTEED. His play won't have anything to do with it.

The new CBA has a bonus cushion. Bonuses don't count against a team's cap hit - only if the attained bonus $ exceeds 7.5% of the salary cap max - then the money is added to the team's cap for the following year.

With next year's cap projected to be $71.1M, a team can have ~$5.333M in bonuses that don't affect their cap situation. In the Islanders' case, Nelson/Strome/Reinhart's bonuses add up to $5.125M for next year. That money will not be part of the money needed to spend to the floor, and it won't even affect the cap hit for the year after that (I doubt all of the bonuses would be attained anyway).

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I completely understand your lack of faith APS, but, how the heck are we getting to the floor without signing anyone?. The only thing that comes to mind is...Sign Doug Weight and Snow to player contracts valued at 6mil each and just not pay them. Charles will ask them to "take one for the team". Or maybe he can hire his fat son to a 12mil a year contract as a goalie.

Simple. Trade picks & prospects for actual players. Knowing Wanger, this will mean trading for a 39 year old has been with a bloated contract that has 1 or 2 years left ala Rolston & TT. A real owner and GM would however trade non-cost assets like picks or prospects making peanuts for an overpaid but good player that the other team needs to move to fit under the cap. I can dream...

If Tavares is done for much of next season then I don't know what they do. Wang is probably ecstatic at the concept of Tavares' $5 million now counting towards the cap floor requirement while being covered by insurance. For him it is a win/win, but for Garf this is an absolute nightmare. Wang won't let him spend for any help and the second best center on the club is an unrefined prospect named Strome.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
The new CBA has a bonus cushion. Bonuses don't count against a team's cap hit - only if the attained bonus $ exceeds 7.5% of the salary cap max - then the money is added to the team's cap for the following year.

With next year's cap projected to be $71.1M, a team can have ~$5.333M in bonuses that don't affect their cap situation. In the Islanders' case, Nelson/Strome/Reinhart's bonuses add up to $5.125M for next year. That money will not be part of the money needed to spend to the floor, and it won't even affect the cap hit for the year after that (I doubt all of the bonuses would be attained anyway).

No wonder wang didn't like this cba! In all seriousness, if the nyi get ekland, won't he mess up things?

scott99

May 13, 2005
I'm wondering with all the rumors about Toronto wanting to get rid of Kadri, with the Tavares injury, why don't we see if we can do a Vanek and Poulin to Toronto for Kadri and Reimer.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
No wonder wang didn't like this cba! In all seriousness, if the nyi get ekland, won't he mess up things?

If Ekblad (or whoever the Isles draft) makes the team along with Nelson, Strome, and Reinhart, then yes, it's possible that there would be a minor cap penalty in 2015-2016. But only if the majority of the bonuses are achieved - although I'm not really sure what the bonuses are or the likelihood of the conditions being met.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I'm wondering with all the rumors about Toronto wanting to get rid of Kadri, with the Tavares injury, why don't we see if we can do a Vanek and Poulin to Toronto for Kadri and Reimer.

An UFA and a weak backup goalie for a top six centerman who's under control for 3+ years (I believe) and a goalie who was a starter for his team last year in the playoffs and is a RFA too?

You're better than this Scott.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
If Ekblad (or whoever the Isles draft) makes the team along with Nelson, Strome, and Reinhart, then yes, it's possible that there would be a minor cap penalty in 2015-2016. But only if the majority of the bonuses are achieved - although I'm not really sure what the bonuses are or the likelihood of the conditions being met.

It isn't out of the realm of possibility for the isles first round pick to make the team and the other three will be on the opening night roster. Trouble could be ahead. But you are right...it comes down to the bonus structure and no one knows those specific details.

scott99

May 13, 2005
It isn't out of the realm of possibility for the isles first round pick to make the team and the other three will be on the opening night roster. Trouble could be ahead. But you are right...it comes down to the bonus structure and no one knows those specific details.

IF the Isles don't get Ekblad, I'd assume they'd draft a center, especially if Tavares' injury is bad and he misses the start of 2014-15. IF they get Ekblad, I would assume him and Reinhart will play a major part in the Isles D corp next season.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

For a team looking for another top center to also be looking to trade Kadri, should tell you all you need to know about him. The kid has a ten cent brain, I don't want him anywhere near this team.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Give me S. Reinhart if we win the lottery. Give me Bennett if we don't. Either way, I don't want another defenseman, and Ekblad isn't the type of prospect to make me change that opinion.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Ekblad is NHL ready..just like larsson and mackinnon...He's a big effing kid too with the weight/size to go with his frame, unlike Reinhart.

I just wish this bad dream was next year so we get McDavid..but looks like Buffalo will get our much deserved McDavid..

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
i really hope snow doesnt hang on to vanek with the rationale that we need to surround our kids with vets, now that JT is out...

if he does......

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
For a team looking for another top center to also be looking to trade Kadri, should tell you all you need to know about him. The kid has a ten cent brain, I don't want him anywhere near this team.

I agree. The leafs have been trying to acquire an elite #1 center for several years. They draft Kadri 7th overall, then when he is only 23 put him on the trade block?

That makes me very leery. Are the past rumors about Kadri's work ethic valid? What does Toronto's front office see that they don't like?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
i really hope snow doesnt hang on to vanek with the rationale that we need to surround our kids with vets, now that JT is out...

if he does......

I do not think JT's injury has any effect on Vanek. Isles will look to their young nhlers like Okposo/Grabs/CC along with older vets like Lubo/Carkner to provide leadership during the final 20 games.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I agree. The leafs have been trying to acquire an elite #1 center for several years. They draft Kadri 7th overall, then when he is only 23 put him on the trade block?

That makes me very leery. Are the past rumors about Kadri's work ethic valid? What does Toronto's front office see that they don't like?

Agreed, something is fishy with Kadri in Toronto. I would rather roll with our young guys who we've developed and know pretty much everything about. Snow drafted centers for a reason, this is when we see the results.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
From a poster on LHH:

Here's some audio of Staple talking about it on tsn radio

http://iphone.tsn.ca/tsnpodcasts/feb20th_staple.mp3

Main points:
-In sell mode before this happened. Vanek and probably AMac will be traded.
-Probably see Strome at 1C
-Another blow to a bad season
-Chance for guys who have had uninspired seasons to show they deserve to be back next year
-Isles looking for similar package as what they gave up for Vanek, aka a first and probably 2 younger players, maybe one NHL ready.
-He wasn’t sure they would have moved AMac, but so many teams have inquired they will for sure. He thinks a first is possible, or a second + a pick or a prospect.
-Potentially lands us 3 first rounders, but of course it’s a weak draft. Still, might be able to turn those into a goalie or top winger.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Give me S. Reinhart if we win the lottery. Give me Bennett if we don't. Either way, I don't want another defenseman, and Ekblad isn't the type of prospect to make me change that opinion.
Now I know you have some kind of vested interest in Reinhart. Ekblad is just the kind of D-man we need. Huge right shot D-man and not even fully grown yet. The only way I could see you not wanting him is he would possibly push Reinhart down to BP. You always take the best player on the board regardless of position and he is the best player.

Last edited:

scott99

May 13, 2005
Now I know you have some kind of vested interest in Reinhart. Ekblad is just the kind of D-man we need. Huge right shot D-man and not even fully grown yet. The only way I could see you not wanting him is he would possibly push Reinhart down to BP. You always take the best player on the board regardless of position and he is the best player.

Ekblad is a better Dman prospect than ANY Dman prospect we have, period. It would make our future defense insanely good. Ekblad, Reinhart, Pulock, Pelech, Pokka, Hamonic would be a VERY tough defense to play against.

I will give Sam Reinhart credit though, he was the consensus #1 pick coming into this year, and has done nothing to lower his rating, been incredibly productive, 1.83 ppg average, hell even Strome didn't have that kinda season until 2 years AFTER his draft. Could be a case of over analyzing, but he certainly would be a good consolation prize if we don't get Ekblad. To me it's Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett or trade the pick to Buffalo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad