Official Trade Speculation/Proposal Thread III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
I think Stastny is a unrestricted free agent in July.

I doubt the isles trade for him. Maybe make him an offer in July?

Absolutely if he's a UFA....Its just so frustrating as a fan to see what the team blatantly needs and then watch them sign the likes of PMB and Regin instead. A second line center would help dramatically

JT
Stasney
Nielson
Cizikas

I wouldn't even mind at that point not signing a high end winger. You can have Nelson and Okposo on the first line, Stome and grabner/Bailey/Lee on the second line and so on.

Really a top 6 forward, a top 4 dman and a goalie is what we need....whether its from trade, UFA or offer sheets....For god's sake, I feel like we have all been saying the same thing for what 3-4 years?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Absolutely if he's a UFA....Its just so frustrating as a fan to see what the team blatantly needs and then watch them sign the likes of PMB and Regin instead. A second line center would help dramatically

JT
Stasney
Nielson
Cizikas

I wouldn't even mind at that point not signing a high end winger. You can have Nelson and Okposo on the first line, Stome and grabner/Bailey/Lee on the second line and so on.

Really a top 6 forward, a top 4 dman and a goalie is what we need....whether its from trade, UFA or offer sheets....For god's sake, I feel like we have all been saying the same thing for what 3-4 years?

Not sure if the rising cap will push the isles into spending or the impending Brooklyn move, but their offers to Vanek($7/m) and AMac ($4m), are good signs Wang is opening the checkbook.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
Not sure if the rising cap will push the isles into spending or the impending Brooklyn move, but their offers to Vanek($7/m) and AMac ($4m), are good signs Wang is opening the checkbook.

Snow has made offers to others only to supposedly come up a few dollars short. I'll believe Snow/Wang are ready to sign a big name FA when they actually SIGN a big name FA.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Snow has made offers to others only to supposedly come up a few dollars short. I'll believe Snow/Wang are ready to sign a big name FA when they actually SIGN a big name FA.

They actually have to. There is no way we are hitting the floor without signing someone.

http://www.capgeek.com/islanders

We are at 38 mil right now heading into next season withe floor being at 52 or 53 I believe. We have 14 players under contract at the moment.

Our Ufa's are:
Nabakov
Martinek
MacDonald
Boulton
Vanek.

Obviously Vanek and AMAC will be gone before then.

Our RFA's are:

deHAAN 870k
Cizikas 800k
Poulin 580k

None of these guys will be up for a huge pay raise.

For arguments sake, let's say CC,CDH. and Poulin pull in a combined 3.5 mil that would leave us with 17 signed players and a cap hit of roughly 41 mil. We still need to add 11 or 12 mil to reach the floor. Now throw in the good chance that Strome and possibly GR could be up here that would be 2 more players at roughly 2 mil. This would leave us with 19 players signed and still 10 mil left to spend. It's quite sickening to think if Wang would spend 10 mil over the floor we would still be in the 20-30 range (in terms of payroll) with about 20 mil to spend...UGH!!!!!!!!

With that 20 we probably could get Girardi,Statsny, and either Halak/Miller/Elliot/Hiller.

Last edited:

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

No, they aren't. Wang needs them just to reach the cap floor + rev sharing check minimum. That is to say, for Wang to avoid paying the cba mandated amount anyway PLUS fines and draft picks and who knows what else he HAS to sign several more players for lots of money, and that's just to do the absolute bare minimum.

He deserves zero credit for that, and I may sound like a broken record over this factoid, but it can't be harped on enough. Wang can sign Vanek and MacD and still be a cheap son of a ditch. Hell, he can sign Crosby for 12 mill a year, but if the rest of the roster totals to the league minimum, guess what?
1) Built for failure
2) Wang saves money and steals yours.

The year this club spends into the middle of the pack salary wise is the year I change my opinion and not a penny prior. You shouldn't either.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
They actually have to. There is no way we are hitting the floor without signing someone.

http://www.capgeek.com/islanders

We are at 38 mil right now heading into next season withe floor being at 52 or 53 I believe. We have 14 players under contract at the moment.

Our Ufa's are:
Nabakov
Martinek
MacDonald
Boulton
Vanek.

Obviously Vanek and AMAC will be gone before then.

Our RFA's are:

deHAAN 870k
Cizikas 800k
Poulin 580k

None of these guys will be up for a huge pay raise.

For arguments sake, let's say CC,CDH. and Poulin pull in a combined 3.5 mil that would leave us with 17 signed players and a cap hit of roughly 41 mil. We still need to add 11 or 12 mil to reach the floor. Now throw in the good chance that Strome and possibly GR could be up here that would be 2 more players at roughly 2 mil. This would leave us with 19 players signed and still 10 mil left to spend. It's quite sickening to think if Wang would spend 10 mil over the floor we would still be in the 20-30 range (in terms of payroll) with about 20 mil to spend...UGH!!!!!!!!

With that 20 we probably could get Girardi,Statsny, and either Halak/Miller/Elliot/Hiller.

Here's the problem with trying to sign UFAs when everyone and their brother think you are a cheapo organization with ho real heart to win anything - The good ones don't sign with you because:
- They or their agents are smart enough to smell a con man a mile away,
- Actions speak louder than words, and up to today Wang's words have been "I don't care about winning jack squat. I care about saving $$$."

That's why you need to trade for players at this point if you want to establish any credibility with the UFA market, and that goes double if Wang & Snow really are interested in building a real team finally, with a real budget. And they see what I see, which I was fooled by their original move for Vanek into thinking the time had come to spend. Then I saw Buffalo take salary back at the cost of our 2nd round pick and just laughed.

But somehow next year will be different. lol

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Our best shot at adding high end talent will be via trade. I'd imagine that a package centered around a top-5 pick and Pulock could land a pretty big piece. Maybe Kesler won't be disgusted by the thought of coming here?

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Our best shot at adding high end talent will be via trade. I'd imagine that a package centered around a top-5 pick and Pulock could land a pretty big piece. Maybe Kesler won't be disgusted by the thought of coming here?

I wouldn't want to trade that much for Kesler, a bit to old, and a bit to close to UFA for my liking. Need to find a guy thats locked up long term, or a guy that will be a RFA, and guys like that are not usually for sale.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Ryan O'Reilly

He would be perfect, but I'm not sure if we would be a fit. Colorado is on the up, and will probably want established talent, especially on defense. Maybe if we win the lottery and they fall in love with Ekblad we could do some kind of 1st overall for ROR deal. Other than that, they might look towards a guy like Yandle, Edler, maybe Larsson.

Vancouver would be a better fit for us. They will probably be most interested in futures. A top-5 caliber forward(Bennett/Dal Colle) + a potential top-pairing D(Pulock) would probably be enough to get Kesler... just comes down to whether or not he would waive his NTC. I doubt it, but I suppose it can't hurt to find out for sure.

BTW, WangMustGo, even though Kesler only has another two years remaining on his deal, I think it would still be a smart move. Two years is a long time. It will be long enough to get him used to living and playing in NY, and it should be long enough to get us back into playoff contention. There is a good chance that we'll be able to keep him. IMO, it will be worth the risk, considering Kesler is exactly the type of player this team needs.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Updated TDL and offseason mock, for S's and G's:

Trade Thomas Vanek and Kevin Poulin to ANA for Frederik Andersen, ANA 2014 3rd(88th) and ANA 2015 1st
Trade MacDonald and NYI 3rd(64th) to BOS for BOS 2014 1st(26th)

Re-sign Calvin de Haan for 3 years/$1.5M per
Re-sign Casey Cizikas for 5 years/$1.25M per
Re-sign Eric Boulton for 1 year/$0.6M per
Re-sign Matt Donovan for 2 years/$0.9M per(2-way)
Re-sign Anders Nilsson for 2 years/$1M per(2-way)
Re-sign Anders Lee for 2 years/$1.15M per(2-way)

Trade NYI 1st(4th overall), CHI 4th(120th) and Pulock to VAN for Ryan Kesler($5M) and VAN 2015 2nd.

Draft:
1(26): Anton Karlsson, RW; Sweden
2(34): Thatcher Demko, G; USHL
3(88): Ryan Donato, C; US HS
4(94): Alexis Pepin, C; QMJHL
5(124): Ryan Mantha, D; USHL
6(154): Vladislav Kamenev, C; KHL
7(184): Ville Husso, G; SM-liiga

Isles sign Derek Morris, D: 3 years/$4.25M per
Isles sign Thomas Greiss, G: 3 years/$2.5M per

2014-2015 Opening Night Lineup:

Brock Nelson - John Tavares - Kyle Okposo
Josh Bailey - Ryan Kesler - Ryan Strome
Michael Grabner - Frans Nielsen - Johan Sundstrom
Matt Martin - Casey Cizikas - Cal Clutterbuck
x - Colin McDonald; Eric Boulton

Calvin de Haan - Travis Hamonic
Thomas Hickey - Derek Morris
Griffin Reinhart - Lubomir Visnovsky
x - Brian Strait

Frederik Andersen
Thomas Greiss

(*Hickey-Morris start out as 2nd pairing, with the Reinhart-Vis pairing replacing them once Griff settles in)

Total cap: $53.4M
Cap floor: $52M(projected # via http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=438619 )
Total $$ above cap floor: $1.4M
Total $$ below cap ceiling: $17.7M

*Chances are Kesler never agrees to waive his NTC to come here, but I figured it was worth a shot*

bigd

Jul 27, 2003

Trade Thomas Vanek and Kevin Poulin to ANA for Frederik Andersen, ANA 2014 3rd(88th) and ANA 2015 1st

Trade NYI 1st(4th overall), CHI 4th(120th) and Pulock to VAN for Ryan Kesler($5M) and VAN 2015 2nd.

Draft:

x - Brian Strait

Frederik Andersen
Thomas Greiss

(*Hickey-Morris start out as 2nd pairing, with the Reinhart-Vis pairing replacing them once Griff settles in)

*Chances are Kesler never agrees to waive his NTC to come here, but I figured it was worth a shot*
You're forgetting Carkner. He's not going anywhere. My guess is he will be the #7, Strait will be in the top six and Reinhart will start out in BP. I know how much you love Reinhart but I just don't believe he's going to start the season off on LI no matter how good he looks in training camp.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I'd trade for Kesler but he would need to waive his NTC, which I doubt happens.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
You're forgetting Carkner. He's not going anywhere. My guess is he will be the #7, Strait will be in the top six and Reinhart will start out in BP. I know how much you love Reinhart but I just don't believe he's going to start the season off on LI no matter how good he looks in training camp.

Carkner can very easily slip through waivers and into Bridgeport. No one is going to claim him at the money he's making, and he'll give us even more emergency depth down there to go along with the 'kiddies'.

I know how you feel about Reinhart, so I'd rather not get into this argument for the 5,000th time. All I'll say is that I'll be pretty surprised if Matt freaking Carkner is the reason why Griff won't be in the NHL to start the season.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Carkner can very easily slip through waivers and into Bridgeport. No one is going to claim him at the money he's making, and he'll give us even more emergency depth down there to go along with the 'kiddies'.

I know how you feel about Reinhart, so I'd rather not get into this argument for the 5,000th time. All I'll say is that I'll be pretty surprised if Matt freaking Carkner is the reason why Griff won't be in the NHL to start the season.
I'd be willing to bet Carkner is not waived. He may get dealt but he won't get waived. He's our new Martinek. You really don't know how I feel about Reinhart. I think he is a tremendous prospect but that's just what he is right now, a prospect. I believe they will send him down to BP no matter how well he plays in training camp. I think that's been their plan all along and I don't think they will change their way of doing things just because it's Reinhart. I also think that's the right way to handle him which is where we conflict. Nothing wrong with Reinhart being the emergency depth.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site

Really? Because Wang HAS to open the checkbook to make the ever increasing floor and he has no internal junk to overpay (Bailey), can't use ELC's (Bailey/Nino), oldie bonuses (Weight), or one season offer wonders (Kovy) to reach the floor. He's stuck with having to 'open the checkbook.' However, that does NOT mean Wang will move the needle anywhere above the floor.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011

Draft:

x - Brian Strait

Frederik Andersen
Thomas Greiss

I don't think we'd have to add a high-end 3rd to get back a low-end first for Macdonald

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I'd be willing to bet Carkner is not waived. He may get dealt but he won't get waived. He's our new Martinek. You really don't know how I feel about Reinhart. I think he is a tremendous prospect but that's just what he is right now, a prospect. I believe they will send him down to BP no matter how well he plays in training camp. I think that's been their plan all along and I don't think they will change their way of doing things just because it's Reinhart. I also think that's the right way to handle him which is where we conflict. Nothing wrong with Reinhart being the emergency depth.

Based on what Staple has said to this point, I'd say it's more likely that he does start in the NHL next season. The only way I don't see that happening is if he completely falls on his face in camp, which IMO is pretty unlikely.

I don't think we'd have to add a high-end 3rd to get back a low-end first for Macdonald

We probably won't, but I was trying to play it safe. IMO all of those trades except maybe the Anaheim deal are low-end returns and/or high-end of what we would have to pay. Any one of them could end up being cheaper, but for the sake of the mock I figured I'd go worst-case scenario.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Reinhart almost made it last year, and did make it this year. He outplayed more than half of our defensemen.... probably everyone not named Visnovsky, to be honest. Anyone saying that this kid isn't ready, is either not paying attention, or they're stuck in the thought process of every player having to play in the AHL before they're ready.

He's ready right now, and he has been ready for quite awhile. This much will be evident early next season.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Reinhart almost made it last year, and did make it this year. He outplayed more than half of our defensemen.... probably everyone not named Visnovsky, to be honest. Anyone saying that this kid isn't ready, is either not paying attention, or they're stuck in the thought process of every player having to play in the AHL before they're ready.

He's ready right now, and he has been ready for quite awhile. This much will be evident early next season.
You may be right. It may be another year of cheaping out, not going after veteran FA D-men, a #1 goalie, and relying on rookies to get us to the playoffs. If that's the plan again then I will be looking forward to Brooklyn.:help:

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I was at the Flyers board and I was reading on how they should trade Pronger to us (and pay his salary) so we can use him to reach the cap floor. I found it extremely amusing and utterly sad at the same time. :help:

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Here's the problem with trying to sign UFAs when everyone and their brother think you are a cheapo organization with ho real heart to win anything - The good ones don't sign with you because:
- They or their agents are smart enough to smell a con man a mile away,
- Actions speak louder than words, and up to today Wang's words have been "I don't care about winning jack squat. I care about saving $$$."

That's why you need to trade for players at this point if you want to establish any credibility with the UFA market, and that goes double if Wang & Snow really are interested in building a real team finally, with a real budget. And they see what I see, which I was fooled by their original move for Vanek into thinking the time had come to spend. Then I saw Buffalo take salary back at the cost of our 2nd round pick and just laughed.

But somehow next year will be different. lol

I completely understand your lack of faith APS, but, how the heck are we getting to the floor without signing anyone?. The only thing that comes to mind is...Sign Doug Weight and Snow to player contracts valued at 6mil each and just not pay them. Charles will ask them to "take one for the team". Or maybe he can hire his fat son to a 12mil a year contract as a goalie.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
I completely understand your lack of faith APS, but, how the heck are we getting to the floor without signing anyone?. The only thing that comes to mind is...Sign Doug Weight and Snow to player contracts valued at 6mil each and just not pay them. Charles will ask them to "take one for the team". Or maybe he can hire his fat son to a 12mil a year contract as a goalie.

The isles will force this year's first rounder to play for them even if he isn't ready and put ten million dollars of bonuses into his deal. Problem solved. Give me a hard question next time.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002

Also, Reinhart's contract is a hit of $3,244,167M. He makes the roster next year. GUARANTEED. His play won't have anything to do with it.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
The isles will force this year's first rounder to play for them even if he isn't ready and put ten million dollars of bonuses into his deal. Problem solved. Give me a hard question next time.

I get the sarcasm and all, but, he still has to pay the money regardless is all i'm saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad