Official Tank Thread of the Toronto Maple Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Another GREAT night!

We get ZERO points.

Zona gets 2 pts.

Anaheim banks a point.

Matthias AND Boyes BOTH collect points we can advertise at the trade dealing....

I love it when a plan comes together!

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Another GREAT night!

We get ZERO points.

Zona gets 2 pts.

Anaheim banks a point.

Matthias AND Boyes BOTH collect points we can advertise at the trade dealing....

Doubtful either player are here that far into the season.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I am very excited we keep losing.

We are finally doing this thing the right way. Looking forward to the draft.

If we vaulted up the standings this year with a team will of place holders I'd be right fuming. Typical Leafs as it were. But not so.

And the best part is the team isn't even playing bad. Not like we are embarrasing ourselves out there. Beauty.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
What is the plan for the tankers if they get their way and the team loses every game, get's to pick first overall and then the saviour that is selected tanks and bombs. Does that mean you win and get to start all over again the next season hoping and praying that the team you "cheer" gets to lose all the time again? Where and when does it end?

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
What is the plan for the tankers if they get their way and the team loses every game, get's to pick first overall and then the saviour that is selected tanks and bombs. Does that mean you win and get to start all over again the next season hoping and praying that the team you "cheer" gets to lose all the time again? Where and when does it end?

Dont jinx it!! :sarcasm:

Leafidelity

Existentially Drifting
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada

It ends when young players on the team are carrying the load. If the first overall bombs like you said, it just pushes that day back.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I'm sure you're trying to make a clever jab at the idea of supporting the tank....well good luck with that.

If things go bad then we just keep on waiting until the group assembled can move ahead. You can't honestly try to spin trying to get the top pick as this terrible curse. We're not building like Edmonton, there is actually a plan behind it.

Take the best talent you can get, add it to what we have, and keep developing until they are ready. It's a rebuild, that kind of thing should be common sense. No one wants to be on the tanking train forever, but when you have assembled a team that is literally full of trade bait....that's what is left. You see things develop with the guys who have a future on this team and you hope for the best from the draft.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Really enjoyed the game tonight.
Just imagine what would happen if some of those guys are traded away.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto

You know we get more than one pick in the draft, right?

If Matthews pulls a Daigle, some stuff moves ahead as planned. We still sell off older players for picks, Marlies graduate, we draft smart, and we don't make any moves to make the playoffs until we have a full team that we're happy with.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Reimer and Bernier are the new Tank Commanders it looks like. Carlyle and Horachek did a great job last season, here's hoping Reimer and Bernier lead us to the ultimate prize - #1 draft pick

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
****KKK man I'm getting my hopes up for Matthews but I know we're cursed!!!!

This draft is also very good. Just finish last and ensure that we get a top 4 pick.

Tkachuk, Pulj, Cychyrun are all good players as well. We don't necessarily need Matthews (it would be awesome to get him though).

We need talent at every single position.

IMO, One of Marner/Nylander will definitely be our #1C if we don't pick Matthews.

You don't have to have players who put up PPG as long as you have solid players. With Babcock, you can bet that Nylander and Marner would be studs defensively.

Adding a D is going to help out tremendously because in the end that's what we need to get better at.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

It ends when you acquire the young talent you can build a champion team around.

It's the only option, unless you want to start trading guys like Rielly, Marner and first round picks for veterans.

What do you suggest we do instead?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I always root for guys like Byron Froese but the kid seems in over his head defensively in his two games. For the tankers, I guess he's their perfect center.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site

You don't cheer for losses. You make the best of the hand you're dealt. This team isn't losing on purpose, they are just incapable of winning at a rate that makes them competitive to even sniff the playoffs.

If we get Austin Matthews and he bombs, that's a disaster. But it doesn't change anything. You ice a team and hope they are competitive. It's when it's painfully obvious they don't have the talent to compete that you look for alternate measures to improve the squad. If that's losing hockey games, as sad as that sounds, then so-be-it. If we can sign 1 free agent or 10 and be competitive relative to the rest of the league, sign me up. I'm rooting for the best way that this team can improve. And right now that's losing.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
This season is depressing because not only are we not winning but at least in previous years if you blow this bad your guarantted #1 or #2 overall. Of course the year we flat out suck they change the system.

What also suck is this year doesn't seem very good in terms of centers, after Matthews there is a huge drop off. At least we grabbed Nylander and Marner. One of those guys will become a center, most likely Nylander.

Last edited:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
So anyone want to explain how the lottery system works this season?

This season is depressing because not only are we not winning but at least in previous years if you blow this bad your guarantted #1 or #2 overall. Of course the year we flat out suck they change the system.

Even if we finish 30th overall, is our chances at Matthews a lot lower than previous years?

20% chance of getting the first overall for the team finishing last overall. This "tanking for Matthews" stuff seems incredibly naive.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
They are tanking in a good way, most games so far have been close and competitive, the Leafs haven't lost a blow out yet, their record could be much better, but for tanking reasons, things are good. The games have been entertaining and it doesn't appear the Leafs are trying to lose, they're just having no luck.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Another GREAT night!

We get ZERO points.

Zona gets 2 pts.

Anaheim banks a point.

Anaheim is starting to come out of the funk they've been in.

Won't be long before we won't have to worry about them at the bottom :)

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
20% chance of getting the first overall for the team finishing last overall. This "tanking for Matthews" stuff seems incredibly naive.

It is.

I just want a top 5 pick. Don't really care who it is as long as our scouts find another building block.

I'm more interested in where our 1st from Pittsburgh ends up then where our 1st is in the lottery.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina

What also suck is this year doesn't seem very good in terms of centers, after Matthews there is a huge drop off. At least we grabbed Nylander and Marner. One of those guys will become a center, most likely Nylander.

Lots of talent in the 2016 draft: Matthews, Chychrun, Puljujärvi, Tkachuk, Laine, Logan Brown, McCleod, Alex Nylander, Gauthier.

At this pace and with the Pittsburgh pick, we might get a couple of guys from the list above!

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
It is.

I just want a top 5 pick. Don't really care who it is as long as our scouts find another building block.

I'm more interested in where our 1st from Pittsburgh ends up then where our 1st is in the lottery.

here's hoping 16th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad