Official Tank Thread of the Toronto Maple Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto

There's a difference between a scout and a GM, a huge one. Finding great OHL talent is a lot different than finding great NHL talent. We all have our opinion of the draft but some of us and I'm not the only one think Marner was a bad choice.

If Babcock is so great then he should have been given a shot at coaching Kessel.

My problem is sucking on purpose which no one seems to think the Leafs are doing. Once again. Babcock and the players aren't tanking but the management clearly is.

Cap has no value if you don't have players to give it to and the last thing the Leafs need is a Stamkos. Spend to the cap, try to compete, entertain the fans and try to make the playoffs every season. Don't lose on purpose.

I agree but you might have meant to say "I don't think our team sucks on purpose:.

1) Disagree. Hunter watched these kids since 12yo, maybe younger.... That is an advantage over an NHL scout/GM IMO.

2) Holding on to Kessel would cost us 7mil/year, you would have to remove 7 mil from the current roster... team would still suck eggs.

3) I could agree to this... certainly can't be PROVEN wrong.

4) don't think they need Stamkos..... But the cap would still be there for such a player.

5) No typo ;) Said what I meant.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I am hoping more than a few teams that are struggling - make a snap reaction trade for one of our guys.

Anaheim -
Jvr
(Expandable Marlie)
(Expandable Marlie)
3rd

Toronto -
Theodore
Ritchie
(Roster player- $)
1st

--
Columbus -
Phaneuf

Toronto -
(Roster player)
Rychel
2nd

--
Struggling teams -
Lupul or/and Bozak

Tor -
Dump
Dump
2nd
Prospect(s)

OvenMittz*

I am hoping more than a few teams that are struggling - make a snap reaction trade for one of our guys.

Anaheim -
Jvr
(Expandable Marlie)
(Expandable Marlie)
3rd

Toronto -
Theodore
Ritchie
(Roster player- $)
1st

--
Columbus -
Phaneuf

Toronto -
(Roster player)
Rychel
2nd

--
Struggling teams -
Lupul or/and Bozak

Tor -
Dump
Dump
2nd
Prospect(s)

What are expendable marlies to you?

JVR would command crazy value, and i doubt Anaheim will give up Theodore.. so i say we keep our 3rd and just take ritchie and their first.. but we may have to sweeten the deal.

Regardless i think JVR at least gets you a 1st + prospect. to a strong competing team

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

Anaheim -
Jvr
(Expandable Marlie)
(Expandable Marlie)
3rd

Toronto -
Theodore
Ritchie
(Roster player- $)
1st

--
Columbus -
Phaneuf

Toronto -
(Roster player)
Rychel
2nd

--
Struggling teams -
Lupul or/and Bozak

Tor -
Dump
Dump
2nd
Prospect(s)

i cant say for the other trades but the jvr one would never happen. The ducks wont give up 3 of their 4 most valuable future assets for jvr. We can get either ritchie and 1st, gibson and 1st or theo and 1st imo but not 3 of the 4

NylanderBros

Jun 22, 2014
Sudbury, Ont
12065996_959314927459605_7220020437209007305_n.png

We're going to be winning very soon.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I know it's really early but those are some pretty nice advanced stats..
That they are. But there is still the very real wall of skill. They are doing good things and working hard against teams, that is great. But this is one time I don't think the advanced stats are going to lead to a boom of production. Leafs just don't have the roster to cash in on their chances.

Which is fine. Take the good pick and be excited by the fact that a roster lacking in talent can do this good on that front. Once we bring up the skilled young guys....damn. We'll be in a good spot.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014

Would certainly help if the special teams got going. Both have been awful, won't be winning anything with them like that. If the special teams were actually good, this team might actually be fairly successful considering the 5-on-5 scoring isn't bad.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
I understand that argument and there's nothing wrong with trading Kessel if you can get good value for him but that trade was a disaster. Also by trading Kessel before trading his line mates in particular JVR and Bosak it horribly diminishes their trade value. We're not going to get anything for them when they end up performing like the 3rd liners that they are that was masked by playing with Kessel.

If this team is starting over then why does it still have Phanuef, Lupul, Bosak, etc etc?

They traded away one player of significance and that is starting over? Looks like tanking to me.

When LA got Doughty with a 2nd overall pick, was that tanking?

When Chicago got Kane and Toews with picks 1 and 3, was that tanking?

Trading Kessel was the only way to improve the value of JVR and Bozak. As long as he was around, their production was going to be seen as a product of him. Now, at least they have a chance to show what they can do. Do you think NHL GMs are idiots who only look at point totals to make trades? This isn't NHL 2016.

I don't understand why you think Carlyle was a good coach. Did you see the roster he won a cup with? Dallas Eakins could have won a cup with that roster. He was already on thin ice due to the collapse in game 7, and the collapse at the end of the 2013-2014 season. When he went through a rough patch again in 2014-2015, it made sense to fire the coach with a sustained record of failure. At that point, Horachek looked like a good option to fill his shoes. He had one bad year in Florida, but it was believed he could do better with the more talent on the Leafs roster.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Would certainly help if the special teams got going. Both have been awful, won't be winning anything with them like that. If the special teams were actually good, this team might actually be fairly successful considering the 5-on-5 scoring isn't bad.

Wasn't it Babcock who said that if your specials teams combined were 100% (or some other number) that your team will be successful. I'm not sure the exact phrasing but I'm pretty certain it was him.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
i would take any one of matthews, jesse, chychrun, or tkachuk, and be so happy with this season...i think theres a drop off after these guys...lets keep losing, as long as rielly, gardiner, kadri, and jvr look good

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
i would take any one of matthews, jesse, chychrun, or tkachuk, and be so happy with this season...i think theres a drop off after these guys...lets keep losing, as long as rielly, gardiner, kadri, and jvr look good

It always looks like there's a drop off somewhere in the first 3-6 picks, but year after year at least one of them doesn't pan out, while some team finds great value a few picks later.

Without bringing Leafs prospects into this, I'd rather have Larkin than Draisaitl or Reinhart, Forsberg over Galchenyuk (or Murray!), and Fowler over Gudbranson.

It's better to finish lower, since at the very least we have the option of trading back. But finishing in the 5-10 range and not winning the lottery is still a great opportunity for our scouting staff.

Jun 27, 2005
Some of this might be off topic but they let your post stand so I'll respond.

When LA got Doughty with a 2nd overall pick, was that tanking?

When Chicago got Kane and Toews with picks 1 and 3, was that tanking?

I don't recall the details of those situations but I'm pretty sure Chicago tanked. What I do know for sure is that Pittsburgh definitely lost on purpose and so did Buffalo. But let's be very clear. If Pittsburgh hadn't done it they would have lost their franchise and perhaps Buffalo and Edmonton too, it doesn't justify losing on purpose but those teams are in a totally different situation than the Leafs. The Leafs make so much money that they can lose for 50 years and still sell out and increase shareholder value. The Leafs are the gold standard in financial success and it's simply embarrassing for them to have to tank to get better. They can afford a $50M coach but they can't give him a crack at teaching Kessel? They can afford to continue to pay Carlyle so they dump him to lose on purpose? It's embarrassing.

Trading Kessel was the only way to improve the value of JVR and Bozak. As long as he was around, their production was going to be seen as a product of him. Now, at least they have a chance to show what they can do. Do you think NHL GMs are idiots who only look at point totals to make trades? This isn't NHL 2016.

Wow, now that's a different perspective. If you think that JVR's value is going to go up when he's not with Kessel all that you have to look at is look at Lupul. Kessel made him PPG and now where is he? I agree that Bozak and JVR now have the opportunity to prove themselves but I'll also predict that all the other GM's were able to evaluate them both and that's why the Flyers gave JVR away and why Bozak wasn't drafted. They are both 3rd liners paid way too much.

I don't understand why you think Carlyle was a good coach. Did you see the roster he won a cup with? Dallas Eakins could have won a cup with that roster. He was already on thin ice due to the collapse in game 7, and the collapse at the end of the 2013-2014 season. When he went through a rough patch again in 2014-2015, it made sense to fire the coach with a sustained record of failure. At that point, Horachek looked like a good option to fill his shoes. He had one bad year in Florida, but it was believed he could do better with the more talent on the Leafs roster.

Carlyle took Burkes unfinished team to game 7 that's pretty good. After Carlyle was fired Horachek was infinitely worse and so far (yes it's extremely early) Babcock has a worse record. There's some evidence already to suggest that Carlyle is a good coach. Let's also be clear that the team that Carlyle took to game 7 was much better than last years team. I think he did really well with what Shanahan and Nonis gave him to work with.

As for Babcock which this thread is supposed to be about the jury is still out. It would be totally unfair to judge the teams offensive production under him as they gave away their only first liner BUT you would have expected defensive numbers to improve if Carlyle was such a bad coach with things like the the PK etc. I don't think anyone thinks that Babcock is a horrible coach but I'm pretty sure that we're going to find out that Carlyle was just as good. To be clear, no one could coach this horrible team into the playoffs. It's not Babcocks fault but if he did buy into Shanahans "plan" and if that plan included tanking then Babcock has to take some blame.

I'm also very surprised that people around here aren't more concerned about Babcock's team's playoff performance the last 6 years. Detroit is a perennial top team in the regular season yet he only has 3 playoff round wins in the last 6 seasons. I find that concerning.

If you're saying that anyone could have coached Carlyle's Pronger team to the cup then surely you must agree that anyone could have won the cup with Babcock's Lidstom teams and to only win one cup with that stacked dynasty is actually pretty disappointing.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

thing is if they continue to lose you will see the effort drop, it's easy to stay positive and keep the energy up in the first 10-20 games, but if they can't start winning a few games soon reality of the situation in terms of quality of the team will set in and players will start to drop there effort level, it's human nature and nothing even a great coach like Babcock will be able to do.

It always looks like there's a drop off somewhere in the first 3-6 picks, but year after year at least one of them doesn't pan out, while some team finds great value a few picks later.

Without bringing Leafs prospects into this, I'd rather have Larkin than Draisaitl or Reinhart, Forsberg over Galchenyuk (or Murray!), and Fowler over Gudbranson.

It's better to finish lower, since at the very least we have the option of trading back. But finishing in the 5-10 range and not winning the lottery is still a great opportunity for our scouting staff.

funny thing about Fowler was he was still ranked by most scouting agency's in the top 5 yet fell to Anahiem. alot of teams are probably kicking themselves.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Forget who the player is.....

It was not the right move. It was horrendous asset management. Our Rookie GM got taken to school which is why they got a full time nanny for him. Nothing about that trade was right.

"Horrendous" is hugely over-dramatic. Did they get as much as they had hoped for in the trade? No. But the market all along for him was a 1st round pick, a top prospect and another player/prospect. 1st round pick...check. Another promising player/prospect....check (Harrington). The only part that wasn't ideal was Kapanen because he's not elite. If you replaced him with Pouliot, people would have been thrilled with the deal, but it just wasn't happening due to the many obvious handcuffs the Leafs were dealing with on this trade (limited teams because of no-trade clause, high salary, etc.)

Kapanen may not be Pouliot, but he was still arguably Pittsburgh's top ranked forward prospect so don't act like they got nothing in return. They got a 1st round pick, a very good prospect and another decent prospect which are all valuable pieces.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Arizona looking like they will get a big 2 pts off us tonight. Hoping Anaheim and Calgary can step it up for our sakes soon.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
This is the year lads. I must say I have a good feeling about this year. It looks as if we are bottom 3.

Columbus
Anaheim
Toronto

We are now among the teams with one win. I think we can safely say we are significantly worse than Anaheim and worse then Columbus. Looks promising guys, we will have like a 30% chance at Mathews. I like what I see. Those are the best odds we've had in years.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Some of this might be off topic but they let your post stand so I'll respond.

I don't recall the details of those situations but I'm pretty sure Chicago tanked. What I do know for sure is that Pittsburgh definitely lost on purpose and so did Buffalo. But let's be very clear. If Pittsburgh hadn't done it they would have lost their franchise and perhaps Buffalo and Edmonton too, it doesn't justify losing on purpose but those teams are in a totally different situation than the Leafs. The Leafs make so much money that they can lose for 50 years and still sell out and increase shareholder value. The Leafs are the gold standard in financial success and it's simply embarrassing for them to have to tank to get better. They can afford a $50M coach but they can't give him a crack at teaching Kessel? They can afford to continue to pay Carlyle so they dump him to lose on purpose? It's embarrassing.

Wow, now that's a different perspective. If you think that JVR's value is going to go up when he's not with Kessel all that you have to look at is look at Lupul. Kessel made him PPG and now where is he? I agree that Bozak and JVR now have the opportunity to prove themselves but I'll also predict that all the other GM's were able to evaluate them both and that's why the Flyers gave JVR away and why Bozak wasn't drafted. They are both 3rd liners paid way too much.

Carlyle took Burkes unfinished team to game 7 that's pretty good. After Carlyle was fired Horachek was infinitely worse and so far (yes it's extremely early) Babcock has a worse record. There's some evidence already to suggest that Carlyle is a good coach. Let's also be clear that the team that Carlyle took to game 7 was much better than last years team. I think he did really well with what Shanahan and Nonis gave him to work with.

As for Babcock which this thread is supposed to be about the jury is still out. It would be totally unfair to judge the teams offensive production under him as they gave away their only first liner BUT you would have expected defensive numbers to improve if Carlyle was such a bad coach with things like the the PK etc. I don't think anyone thinks that Babcock is a horrible coach but I'm pretty sure that we're going to find out that Carlyle was just as good. To be clear, no one could coach this horrible team into the playoffs. It's not Babcocks fault but if he did buy into Shanahans "plan" and if that plan included tanking then Babcock has to take some blame.

I'm also very surprised that people around here aren't more concerned about Babcock's team's playoff performance the last 6 years. Detroit is a perennial top team in the regular season yet he only has 3 playoff round wins in the last 6 seasons. I find that concerning.

If you're saying that anyone could have coached Carlyle's Pronger team to the cup then surely you must agree that anyone could have won the cup with Babcock's Lidstom teams and to only win one cup with that stacked dynasty is actually pretty disappointing.

Did you just happen to forget that we're missing our leading scorer of 6 years this year? Pretty big ****ing difference when you trade the only game-breaker we had in the lineup.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
This is the year lads. I must say I have a good feeling about this year. It looks as if we are bottom 3.

Columbus
Anaheim
Toronto

We are now among the teams with one win. I think we can safely say we are significantly worse than Anaheim and worse then Columbus. Looks promising guys, we will have like a 30% chance at Mathews. I like what I see. Those are the best odds we've had in years.

Anaheim and Columbus are definitely better then us, I just worry about Calgary and Buffalo.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
Anaheim and Columbus are definitely better then us, I just worry about Calgary and Buffalo.

Last place only has a 20% chance at first, even still best odds in years.

We can hope, tragically one spot away from McDavid, we will have a good chance this year again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad