Official Tank Thread of the Toronto Maple Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
This game has restored my hope for matthews. I was worried because we actually looked like a team on saturday. Good to know the old leafs are still in there.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Down 3-1 going into the third.

Hope we can get one more point here (or two, but have the Yotes get another). Every time we lose by more than one, that's a wasted opportunities to pump the value of our players.

Sep 18, 2009
Down 3-1 going into the third.

Hope we can get one more point here (or two, but have the Yotes get another). Every time we lose by more than one, that's a wasted opportunities to pump the value of our players.

Cmon
What are you saying
That you wanna win
Our players have crap value regardless
Time for tank
All games
Babcock says pain
Here it is

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Yes, that's right, they traded Kessel because they wanted to start building this team from scratch. Keeping Kessel and having Babs work with him gets us nowhere. We'd be battling for a wild card spot, at best. We'd be just spinning our wheels, again, for years. They had to start over. Management is not trying to tank, they are building this team from the ground up. That takes time.

When you have kids that have earned and are better players than a handful of guys on the big club and you purposely keep them down because they improve the team that is the very definition of tanking. Nylander by far has been the most dangerous player down on the Marlies and with Bozak going down with an injury you would think it would be a perfect time to call him up and give him a few NHL games for experience but nope... Too good go's against the grain of the full flanged TANK. He comes up shows management up on what they're doing they wont be able to send him down again so they call up Froese

If that's the case on trading Kessel why is JVR still a Leaf? Management is clearly tanking which means loosing on purpose. It was identified that Kessel made players better, improved the team and they did not want that from the lone elite player on this team to lift it into mediocrity. They knew the Babcock effect with a player like Kessel on the team would take the team out of the lottery so they traded him away at 50 cents on the dollar as the best they could get putting all there eggs in Kapenan becoming a top 6 player from it so it's not a complete loss in value all the while planned on giving Babcock scrap in talent to play with keeping the talented kids down regardless if they're ready or not which is the truth about the Babcock comment about "PAIN COMMING".

Such a genius move by Leaf management that they're rotating talent in and out of the Marlies line ups while the Leafs get throw out Parranteau, Boyes, Accrobello and the incredible Grabner. :help:

If that's not tanking & losing on purpose what the hell is then?

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
You can really see the base with this team, Babcock is laying the foundation here and you see a great system in place where we have good posession but lack the skill and finish to win.

This team, when you start to add skill players like marner, Kapenen, Nylander etc. over the next season or two will definitely start to look good.

Have to really hope we get mathews though and get that huge centre piece to build around, or at the very least Chychrun, anything else would feel like a bit of a let down.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
You can really see the base with this team, Babcock is laying the foundation here and you see a great system in place where we have good posession but lack the skill and finish to win.

This team, when you start to add skill players like marner, Kapenen, Nylander etc. over the next season or two will definitely start to look good.

Have to really hope we get mathews though and get that huge centre piece to build around, or at the very least Chychrun, anything else would feel like a bit of a let down.

There are other good players, but admittedly, my heart is kind of set on Matthews, and I will be content with Chyrchrun too.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Wow, now that's a different perspective. If you think that JVR's value is going to go up when he's not with Kessel all that you have to look at is look at Lupul. Kessel made him PPG and now where is he? I agree that Bozak and JVR now have the opportunity to prove themselves but I'll also predict that all the other GM's were able to evaluate them both and that's why the Flyers gave JVR away and why Bozak wasn't drafted. They are both 3rd liners paid way too much.

yeah I'm sure everyone decided against drafting Bozak was because he's a 3rd liner making too much money :laugh:

I agree that Bozak might not have a lot of value, but Bozak wasn't making 4.2 million when he was drafted and if someone thought he would develop into a 3rd liner he would have been drafted. So I found that statement kind of laughable.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Another game, another zero points gained. 3 goals were scored to pad stats, can't ask for much more than that.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
When you have kids that have earned and are better players than a handful of guys on the big club and you purposely keep them down because they improve the team that is the very definition of tanking.

They are not being purposely kept down because they are better than players on the Leafs, they are being kept down to gain experience and because exposing them to some of the crap coming the Leafs' way this year would be detrimental to their development. Let them learn down on the farm, while playing meaningful hockey in multiple situations, and they can come up next year when the leafs will be further along in their rebuild.

Management is clearly tanking which means loosing on purpose.

They are not clearly tanking nor are they losing on purpose.

It was identified that Kessel made players better, improved the team and they did not want that from the lone elite player on this team to lift it into mediocrity.

:biglaugh:

They knew the Babcock effect with a player like Kessel on the team would take the team out of the lottery so they traded him away at 50 cents on the dollar as the best they could get putting all there eggs in Kapenan becoming a top 6 player from it so it's not a complete loss in value all the while planned on giving Babcock scrap in talent to play with keeping the talented kids down regardless if they're ready or not which is the truth about the Babcock comment about "PAIN COMMING".

Punctuation, you should try it sometime.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Guys, I know it is early but one thing you cannot deny is Toronto can compete 5v5 and right now we are losing because of our PK. That is a very fixable issue and when it happens Toronto will start winning, in fact if Toronto can be mid pack PK wise we might be fighting for a playoff spot!

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Don't forget about the Sabres......
Dead last 2 years in a row and we have injuries to our #1 goals, #1 Dman
and now #1 winger. PLUS our defence is real weak 5-6.

All their injuries are 4-6 weeks, which will only be about 15 games. Hopefully they can stay healthy the rest of the season.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Guys, I know it is early but one thing you cannot deny is Toronto can compete 5v5 and right now we are losing because of our PK. That is a very fixable issue and when it happens Toronto will start winning, in fact if Toronto can be mid pack PK wise we might be fighting for a playoff spot!

I'm so happy with what we're doing right now. Good 5v5 play, but blowing it due to special teams and goaltending.

In a few years when we're a great 5v5 team, it'll be easy to make upgrades to bring out special teams and goaltending to league average. Until then, we get to be a good fundamental team who still picks high.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
jvr stamkos marner
nylander matthews brown
komorov kadri lupul
winnik goat carrick

rielly gardiner
phaneuf percy
hunwick loov

bernier

mikebel111*

Reimer is a big expert in tanking and Babcock called him out for his performance tonight

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Cmon
What are you saying
That you wanna win
Our players have crap value regardless
Time for tank
All games
Babcock says pain
Here it is

I was saying I wanted 1 more goal when we were down 3-1. Losing 3-2 gets us the same draft pick, but it makes our players look better when we try to trade them.

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014
All hail second in command Captain James Reimer for coming through tonight.

We go back to our Commander-in-Chief on Friday. :yo:

Last edited:

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Ducks get shut out....I don't get it. How the heck is a team with Getzlaf and Perry not scoring at all?

This whole thing is just incredibly odd to me, the ducks on paper look fantastic, better than last year, but they just cant get it done.

I feel like they are about to go on a 10 game winning streak, I never had a problem with bruce, just a strange start overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad