Official Tank Thread of the Toronto Maple Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MLG Ghost

Feb 3, 2004
Lots of talent in the 2016 draft: Matthews, Chychrun, Puljujärvi, Tkachuk, Laine, Logan Brown, McCleod, Alex Nylander, Gauthier.

At this pace and with the Pittsburgh pick, we might get a couple of guys from the list above!

Doesn't the Pittsburgh pick move back to 2017 if they miss the playoffs? Right now they are on the outside looking in, at number 10 in the conference. Phil and Syd need to pick it up!

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
We're not really Tanking... The talent just isn't there. But the new crop will be tremendous in 2/3 years.

Thats precisely tanking, actually.

People misunderstand tanking. Its not that the players arent trying, its that management purposely ices a roster incapable of winning.

Last year was just an epic meltdown of the players doing.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

People misunderstand tanking. Its not that the players arent trying, its that management purposely ices a roster incapable of winning.

Well put.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

if we're tanking what was Buffalo? uber-tanking?

Leaf19

Dec 25, 2013
What are the chances of Phaneuf getting moved soon? There's quite a few teams in need of defence right now (LA, Columbus, Oilers, possibly Dallas) and if Phaneuf keeps putting up points til US thanksgiving I think someone might be willing to pull the trigger :popcorn:

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
What are the chances of Phaneuf getting moved soon? There's quite a few teams in need of defence right now (LA, Columbus, Oilers, possibly Dallas) and if Phaneuf keeps putting up points til US thanksgiving I think someone might be willing to pull the trigger :popcorn:

0%, that contract is not going anywhere. We are stuck with this garbage for years.

Swayze*

we'll be getting back a worse player with a crap contract as well

Clarkson +2nd for Phaneuf

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Even at the lowest point last year, Detroit made an offer on Phaneuf. His contract is bad, but not top 10 worst in the league, especially if he keeps producing the way he has been. The contract is too big to be moved midseason though, if he's moved it won't be until the offseason.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Doesn't the Pittsburgh pick move back to 2017 if they miss the playoffs? Right now they are on the outside looking in, at number 10 in the conference. Phil and Syd need to pick it up!

They're outside by one point right now. Phil and Sid aren't going to have 40 point seasons, the offense will pick up.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Even at the lowest point last year, Detroit made an offer on Phaneuf. His contract is bad, but not top 10 worst in the league, especially if he keeps producing the way he has been. The contract is too big to be moved midseason though, if he's moved it won't be until the offseason.

THIS

People forget that last year when we couldnt be playing much worse, and Dion was one of the worst culprits on the team, we got a good offer (that I would have liked to take). Can you imagine how bad this team would be without Dion? I assume we would have signed one of the bigger off season D men just to shield the kids.
BUT - You add Brendan Smith, last years 1st, and Pulkkinen and this team looks (IMO) allot closer to being a contender. Adding Pulkkinen to the Marlies (he has 5 points in 8 games in the NHL this year and had 61pts in 46 games in the AHL last year) would be a great way to develop Nylander et all.

So yes, Id move Dion for a similar deal as was reported last year. A youngish #+-4 D man, late 1st round pick and a prospect with top 6 upside would be a amazing return IMO

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014

I'd say the chances are slim at the moment. Very slim. Contracts like Phaneuf's are rarely moved in season, too difficult in most cases. The off season seems much more likely. I'm fine with that, Phaneuf has looked better, let Babs continue to improve Phaneuf's value and maximize the return in the off season.

Now the chances of Polak being moved on the other hand are very good I'd say.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
THIS

People forget that last year when we couldnt be playing much worse, and Dion was one of the worst culprits on the team, we got a good offer (that I would have liked to take). Can you imagine how bad this team would be without Dion? I assume we would have signed one of the bigger off season D men just to shield the kids.
BUT - You add Brendan Smith, last years 1st, and Pulkkinen and this team looks (IMO) allot closer to being a contender. Adding Pulkkinen to the Marlies (he has 5 points in 8 games in the NHL this year and had 61pts in 46 games in the AHL last year) would be a great way to develop Nylander et all.

So yes, Id move Dion for a similar deal as was reported last year. A youngish #+-4 D man, late 1st round pick and a prospect with top 6 upside would be a amazing return IMO

How do you know what the proposed Dion deal was with Detroit?
Just rumor? Might not have been that great?

I heard the Leafs wanted Mantha ... and Detroit backed away.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
I didnt think we could out tank last year ... but I really think we can now.
It's happening !!!

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
What is the plan for the tankers if they get their way and the team loses every game, get's to pick first overall and then the saviour that is selected tanks and bombs. Does that mean you win and get to start all over again the next season hoping and praying that the team you "cheer" gets to lose all the time again? Where and when does it end?

Do exactly what the Leafs are doing now. Have good coaching systems, organizational discipline and work ethic. When skilled players get injected into the lineup the wins will come.

The ONLY way to build a contending core is via the draft. The higher position you are in the draft the more likely you are to draft high end talent.

Tanking plans like the Oulers have failed because they have awful scouting and awful coaching - not because they "tanked".

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Do exactly what the Leafs are doing now. Have good coaching systems, organizational discipline and work ethic. When skilled players get injected into the lineup the wins will come.

The ONLY way to build a contending core is via the draft. The higher position you are in the draft the more likely you are to draft high end talent.

Tanking plans like the Oilers have failed because they have awful scouting and awful coaching - not because they "tanked".

pretty much.
it's like people think it's about the 1st round. (that's where quite frankly you SHOULD be on point in 2015 - but basically after the "it's obvious it's _____" person (and some years you don't have that luxury), it's always always a crap shoot. what really hurts a rebuild is 100 percent what happens in rounds 2-7 and the lack of picks, lack of home runs there, and the like.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto

Tanking plans like the Oulers have failed because they have awful scouting and awful coaching - not because they "tanked".

I wouldn't say the ONLY way to build a conteding core is via the draft. Look at NYR, their core is mostly assembled through trades and free agents. They're an exception, but exceptions exist. Dallas also got Seguin and Spezza through trades, NYI got their top pairing through trades, and although neither is a contender yet, they're getting close to that status with the same core.

Instead of saying that we can only build a core through the draft, let's say that we're looking through every possible avenue to try to acquire the best talent possible. None of this "draft schmaft" stuff, but not "only draft" either.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
I wouldn't say the ONLY way to build a conteding core is via the draft. Look at NYR, their core is mostly assembled through trades and free agents. They're an exception, but exceptions exist. Dallas also got Seguin and Spezza through trades, NYI got their top pairing through trades, and although neither is a contender yet, they're getting close to that status with the same core.

Instead of saying that we can only build a core through the draft, let's say that we're looking through every possible avenue to try to acquire the best talent possible. None of this "draft schmaft" stuff, but not "only draft" either.

Hence why those teams have some holes at #1C and #1D (although Klinberg might be the answer in Dallas, he's looking like a stud).

Make no mistake about it, they're going to have some trouble filling those holes.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I think the term tanking is overused. Buffalo last year was definitely tanking, they made moves that had little purpose other than getting worse short-term.

Win Now: Actively trying to gain any edge to win in the present, regardless of effect on future.
Competing: Looking to strengthen the teams chances without hurting the most important future assets, unless the return is right.
Limbo: Dem peeps be lost.
Rebuilding: Making moves to reap the rewards years ahead, with little focus on now.
Tanking: Making moves to actively get worse now in an attempt to strengthen chances down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad