OT: Official Sports Media Thread XI :Self-proclaimed ‘sports dork’ Michael Felger of The Sports Hub feels like he ‘will do this forever’

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Sue him for what? They offered him a contract, he declined.

"Your honor. The defendent should of said yes."
There are probably non compete disclosures he signed that are still applicable upon separation. Aside from that, Beasley owns things like 98 Mile and other bits so if he tried to do it at another station in the market they could go after him depending on how petty they are feeling

Reactions: Bocephus86

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
There are probably non compete disclosures he signed that are still applicable upon separation. Aside from that, Beasley owns things like 98 Mile and other bits so if he tried to do it at another station in the market they could go after him depending on how petty they are feeling
He doesn't work for them anymore and I am sure he is well aware he can't do bits that he did on 98.5 and will have to come up with new ones.

Rich Keefe, Adam Jones, Arcand did not get sued for leaving and going to another station.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
At the end of the day, Fred, when he was going through some shit, made claims about everyone else on the show that were false. He even admitted it when he finally got back on air. I'm sure Rich took those lies personally, after carrying the entire show while Fred had his issues with booze and then the throat issues. It's just another in a long line of radio shows that went on for a long time but eventually fizzled out. In reality, that show had ceased to be funny a number of years ago, and they only pulled ratings because the alternatives were so f***ing awful. Maybe the change makes Fred take his job seriously again? Maybe Rich moves to a competitive station and they spew hate at each other? Either way, it's better than mailing it in continually, like that show had been doing for years now.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Meh that show has sucked for years. Fred mails it in 95% of the time and comes off as an insufferable dink. Rich doesn’t like talking sports he’d rather go on about music & dungeons and dragons. I’ve always suggested they try Gasper & Murray (Jim) in the morning slot. While they’re at it get rid of Beetle at mid day show. 98.5 wins the ratings battle but they need to shake things up.

premierplayer

Aug 2, 2010
I always enjoyed the show. Sad to see it end this way. Got high ratings for a reason even if some of you didn't enjoy it

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I always enjoyed the show. Sad to see it end this way. Got high ratings for a reason even if some of you didn't enjoy it
I liked it more when it was on WBCN because I want to hear real sports analysts talking about sports when I put on a sports radio show. And nothing against those guys, but neither had a clue about any of the local teams, the players, the history, or sports in general. Funny bits, but if I want to hear watered down Stern or O&A impressions, I can do that on nearly every station in the morning.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Meh that show has sucked for years. Fred mails it in 95% of the time and comes off as an insufferable dink. Rich doesn’t like talking sports he’d rather go on about music & dungeons and dragons. I’ve always suggested they try Gasper & Murray (Jim) in the morning slot. While they’re at it get rid of Beetle at mid day show. 98.5 wins the ratings battle but they need to shake things up.

I listened on and off for a month or so back when it started and thought it was awful, so I never went back to it.

Never saw the appeal at all.

Two unlikable guys.

Not as unlikable as Felger and Mazz, but close.

Last edited:

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I listened on and off for a month or so back when it started and thought it was awful, so I never went back to it.

Never saw the appeal at all.

Two unlikable guys.

Not as unlikable as Felger and Max, but close.
Just a bunch of guys sounding like they got in a heated argument with their wives 15 minutes before the show.

That is the 98.5 model.

Weei? Get Hillman surrounded by morons for him to chuckle at

Reactions: Gordoff and sarge88

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Honestly both guys seem liberated. It would be nice to hear Rich give his thoughts on what happened. We'll see. It looks like the WEEI links are already being made since Mike Thomas runs things there and he ran the Sports Hub in the past.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Honestly both guys seem liberated. It would be nice to hear Rich give his thoughts on what happened. We'll see. It looks like the WEEI links are already being made since Mike Thomas runs things there and he ran the Sports Hub in the past.
The idea of going to the competitor is fun, but WEEI is a dying station and honestly if the two shows were up against each other, Fred would probably beat Rich. I hope Rich gets a good paycheck somewhere, even if it's WEEI and they go under and he's a free agent again in 2 years.

Rich might fit better on a rock station, but I know he wants to be able to long-form talk and not stop for music, so it'll be hard to find the right place for that.

Reactions: smithformeragent

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
The idea of going to the competitor is fun, but WEEI is a dying station and honestly if the two shows were up against each other, Fred would probably beat Rich. I hope Rich gets a good paycheck somewhere, even if it's WEEI and they go under and he's a free agent again in 2 years.

Rich might fit better on a rock station, but I know he wants to be able to long-form talk and not stop for music, so it'll be hard to find the right place for that.

Rich would benefit from being on SiriusXM doing something at this point. There's no good gigs in terrestrial radio anymore ever since everything got consolidated and corporate, especially when the FCC were pressured into handing out ludicrous fines for people daring to do controversial, interesting, and entertaining radio.

Reactions: rfournier103

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

Listening to Ty Anderson embarrass himself with how little he knows about out of town hockey news is infuriating to the enth degree. This is what qualifies as a beat writer for one of the premier hockey franchises in the NHL?

Reactions: Gordoff

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Rich would benefit from being on SiriusXM doing something at this point. There's no good gigs in terrestrial radio anymore ever since everything got consolidated and corporate, especially when the FCC were pressured into handing out ludicrous fines for people daring to do controversial, interesting, and entertaining radio.
I wonder what kind of a time commitment that is and what they get paid.

Hardy does two SXM stations in addition to Zolak and Beetle. He must record his SXM stuff in advance.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
I wonder what kind of a time commitment that is and what they get paid.

Hardy does two SXM stations in addition to Zolak and Beetle. He must record his SXM stuff in advance.

From as I understand it when I did listen to SXM, it varies from personality to personality.

For someone like Hardy or even a lower end record DJ like Dennis Falcone (a guy who did the 70s on 7 and 80s on 8), there's a decent amount of work expected and at a low salary for the radio business.

For a more recognized talent like Rich...he could literally just work weekdays or select days if he can swing the deal and not have the same level of commitment as the lower end guys.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
They took a lot of calls this am. Lot of calls = no content. Day 2 of Fred( I come in at 5:56) running the show and it was off the rails.
Yeah, I was somewhat surprised that the article I linked mentioned Hardy as a possible replacement for Rich.

I’d love that, although you’d be robbing Peter to pay Paul as I’d imagine the midday show would suffer greatly.

As someone who is more likely to listen first thing in the morning, I’d be okay with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad