Seravalli: Official JT Miller Trade Thread - NEW Update (1/25/22) - Rangers Interest "Next Level"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
As I stated in the other thread--all these "reports" are coming from either Canuck reporters or reporters that have a history with Rutherford...my question is--Is Vancouver trying to create the market and if so why? They are firing on all wheels and not seems an interesting time to ship out someone who is supposed to be a key cog
Canucks are not in a playoff spot. Still chasing and it’s still an uphill climb despite a 7-0 run at one point.

Natural for teams to call and inquire. If a couple of teams call might as well leak that multiple ones have so that other GMs put in a call and create a bidding war.

Now Sakic hears that Drury has made a call and Chevy probably has too. And who knows how many others. Need to really figure out what your best offer is as you don’t know when the hammer will drop.

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
As I stated in the other thread--all these "reports" are coming from either Canuck reporters or reporters that have a history with Rutherford...my question is--Is Vancouver trying to create the market and if so why? They are firing on all wheels and not seems an interesting time to ship out someone who is supposed to be a key cog

Rutherford has already said he doesn't think this group is a contender as it is. Boeser, Horvat, and Miller are due contracts in the next two seasons, and Canucks are already up against the cap. Miller is a physical point per game forward who can play both special teams. He's a valuable piece and older than the other guys, so if the Canucks want to be contenders down the road, they should move him as they can't afford all three of those players. There's always a market for players like JT, but if they are trying to drum things up a bit, they have good reason.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Some questions for Canucks' fans on Miller as I don't get to watch VAN that much.

What spot does Miller play on the PP?

Since he scores a lot on the PP, I'm curious (and also curious which teams have a big need on the PP for the spot he plays there.)

He would still help teams at 5v5 as well, given his versatility, but he's excelled on the PP last season and this (based on point totals as I haven't watched him much).

Second question, what type of player does he best mesh with? A goal scorer that he can set up? Or a set-up guy that get him the puck?

Although he can play C or W, is he better at one or the other?
He plays a lot of bumper on the wrong side and sets up horvat and Hughes 1 timers…

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Is Ryan Strome a Top 30 Center in the NHL? Just wanna check something

Top 30 in points this season

15th in total points over the last 3 seasons and 20th in points per games played (by players with at least 5 NHL games in that span)

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Hmmm give up a 1st for like 10 games from Nick Foligno, or give up a 1st and good prospect for a swiss army 1st line C/W locked in at $5m for two playoff runs... Tough call, I can see why a Leaf fan might be puzzled about it.

Sure, as a Leafs fan I hope they are out of the sweepstakes because I don’t trust our core to do anything.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
That reads a little different than the Perfetti/Jarvis/Newhook or bust narrative that has been prevalent recently.
How so? Miller hasn't requested a trade, but could be open to playing elsewhere. And if Rutherford gets a deal he likes he could pull the trigger. How is this different? Sounds like you're interpreting it the way you want to.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Given JR's connection to PIT and saying he wants to put emphasis on speed, I wonder if there's a deal to be made here with Kapanen as the centerpiece.

I'd personally want a younger player but I think this would be a possibility.

Kap plus one of JR’s old draft picks and then another piece could make sense. Not entirely sure how to make the cap work.

I think the pens will face the same issue as they always do- other teams have better pieces to deal. Also this team has good chemistry and Hextall may not want to mess it up.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
A lot of the return on rental/rental+1 type players is situational. After disappointment, TB knew they needed players like Coleman and Goodrow and paid a premium for then as they felt those were the "missing pieces". They had the goaltending, high end skill, and defensemen already, but needed some guys like Coleman and Goodrow. They also knew with upcoming cap crunches and some of their players getting older, they had a shorter window so were willing to go all in (so to speak). It paid off.

Miller is certainly better than Coleman, so in a vacuum, the return would be better, but the situation will also dictate how much of a return he gets.

Of course, Van can just hold onto him if they don't like the return and trade him this off-season or at next year's deadline.
You mean that the multiple deadlines of people citing things like Ryan Hartman getting a 1st round pick return doesn't magically set the bar for every other trade moving forward?

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Kap plus one of JR’s old draft picks and then another piece could make sense. Not entirely sure how to make the cap work.

I think the pens will face the same issue as they always do- other teams have better pieces to deal. Also this team has good chemistry and Hextall may not want to mess it up.

What do ya got for B to A- prospects? We need D and C.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
NYR 1st 2022 + Lundkvist

For

JT Miller @50%

That's the same price Tampa paid to acquire Blake Coleman. JT Miller is a more valuable player and the return should be greater than a 1st + recent late 1st drafted prospect.

Reactions: bh53

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I thought about Boston but I’m not sure they have the key piece Vancouver would want, namely a RH’ed defensive prospect with top pairing upside.
To be honest I like miller and I get that the Bruins could use him, but I would much rather see them put more of an effort at going after Crouse and Chychrun ..............just saying would be more beneficial

Reactions: John Mandalorian

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
That's the same price Tampa paid to acquire Blake Coleman. JT Miller is a more valuable player and the return should be greater than a 1st + recent late 1st drafted prospect.

Understood and if that's the case I can't see NYR being willing to give up much more for only 1.5 more years of Miller. If he had more term, I could see it

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Are the Rangers the only team Miller can
be traded too?

No, but they're the team that has the most available capital for your return. Miller doesn't have enough term to net you Schneider, who the Rangers traded up in the draft to get. If Miller had another year or two on his deal I could see it as an option

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
What do ya got for B to A- prospects? We need D and C.

Pierre Olivier Joseph is maybe a B to A- guy. LD that is close to being a regular.

Sam Poulin was a B+/A- prospect that’s probably dropped to a B- due to a mediocre rookie AHL season. Big kid, has played all 3 forward positions.

Both former 1st round picks. I think you’d rather have our 2022 pick than both, but neither are bad prospects. Neither is going to be a superstar however.

Everyone else in the pool is C grade prospect. It’s uninspiring and I think keeps us off a guy like Miller or Chychrun.

Reactions: kanucks25

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I saw Kapanen mentioned a few times. Can't Kapanen be a UFA after 2 more seasons? After this season, he's an ARB eligible RFA. Not sure that's what Van would be looking for as part of the return, but JR always gets his guy so you never know.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Other teams I’d be shocked if they haven’t inquired: wild, bruins, oilers, leafs, flames (keep trend of snagging ex Canucks alive)…

Or top teams who want to really put a stamp on things… hurricanes, lightning, panthers…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad