Seravalli: Official JT Miller Trade Thread - NEW Update (1/25/22) - Rangers Interest "Next Level"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Why Canucks shopping him? They need more of those, not less.:huh:

UFA after next season, may not want to re-sign in Vancouver and/or Vancouver may not want to commit to what he wants long term.

Vancouver has a lot of holes and even with JT aren’t likely to make the playoffs. The best long term plan may be to move him now for some pieces that can better suit the team in 23/24.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I think it’s insane to give up a huge haul for this player. There are no guarantees of winning the cup. If you give up a ton of futures and don’t win the cup in the next 2 seasons, you might be toast. I mean, unless you re-sign him I guess. It’s a risk. But sure, welcome to trade deadline frenzy.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Why Canucks shopping him? They need more of those, not less.:huh:

Canucks have a terrible cap structure with multiple poison pill contracts on the books, and Miller extremely unlikely to extend with the Canucks past next year.

Team is capped out, hasn't drafted in the 1st round in back to back years, is missing this year's second, and have a bottom 5 prospect pool. At best they are a playoff bubble team with this group and it's time to sell high on their assets for once.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
That reads a little different than the Perfetti/Jarvis/Newhook or bust narrative that has been prevalent recently.
Theres always homers in every fan base. While of course us Canucks fans hope and want those players, the non homers understand and are happy with at least a prospect like Barron/Lundqvist + late 1st + 2nd or B prospect

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
I think it’s insane to give up a huge haul for this player. There are no guarantees of winning the cup. If you give up a ton of futures and don’t win the cup in the next 2 seasons, you might be toast. I mean, unless you re-sign him I guess. It’s a risk. But sure, welcome to trade deadline frenzy.
You only say that because you are a Leafs fan. Other teams actually have a shot. Even TB buys at the TDL to have a better shot at the cup. It only ever works out for 1 team, but the teams that don't buy pretty much never win it.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
Theres always homers in every fan base. While of course us Canucks fans hope and want those players, the non homers understand and are happy with at least a prospect like Barron/Lundqvist + late 1st + 2nd or B prospect
disagree. 2 pieces if a better prospect, 3 if not. its a 2 year rental not 1 year. Coleman got foote and a 1st as a 2 year rental and he isnt the player miller is.

Reactions: Szechwan

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Hmmm give up a 1st for like 10 games from Nick Foligno, or give up a 1st and good prospect for a swiss army 1st line C/W locked in at $5m for two playoff runs... Tough call, I can see why a Leaf fan might be puzzled about it.

Superlative Soup

Lights too bright
Apr 8, 2013
Saskatchewan
There's no guarantee in winning the cup and there's also no guarantee those futures turn into anything. All you can hope for us a 2-3 year window where you're one of the best 3 teams in the league and catch fire.

Reactions: Ruggs225

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
As I stated in the other thread--all these "reports" are coming from either Canuck reporters or reporters that have a history with Rutherford...my question is--Is Vancouver trying to create the market and if so why? They are firing on all wheels and not seems an interesting time to ship out someone who is supposed to be a key cog

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Some questions for Canucks' fans on Miller as I don't get to watch VAN that much.

What spot does Miller play on the PP?

Since he scores a lot on the PP, I'm curious (and also curious which teams have a big need on the PP for the spot he plays there.)

He would still help teams at 5v5 as well, given his versatility, but he's excelled on the PP last season and this (based on point totals as I haven't watched him much).

Second question, what type of player does he best mesh with? A goal scorer that he can set up? Or a set-up guy that get him the puck?

Although he can play C or W, is he better at one or the other?

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
As I stated in the other thread--all these "reports" are coming from either Canuck reporters or reporters that have a history with Rutherford...my question is--Is Vancouver trying to create the market and if so why? They are firing on all wheels and not seems an interesting time to ship out someone who is supposed to be a key cog

sekeres is absolutely hated by the organization and most fanebase, so they wouldnt have him do anything for them.
dater is colorado based so im not seeing anything there.
seravalli has a connection to every team and gm so not sure how that on their side.

dhaliwal is the main one from the canucks who has inside sources, so i can see someone saying he is pushing it for the organization. but hes also been quite accurate with his canucks reporting

Reactions: Szechwan

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Miller would be a damn near perfect fit on the Wild for a year and a half. They wouldn’t be able to re-up him.

Moving this year’s first wouldn’t be an issue. Whatever it is beyond that is where it’s a bit challenging. They have a pretty deep NHL blue line and pool but if you’re looking for solely RHD, it’s really Addison who doesn’t have the frame that Van fans are looking for. I’m sure they’d be fine moving any of their defensive prospects including Lambos for someone like Miller. At center, Rossi is obviously there but that’s probably pretty questionable whether they would part with him knowing they cannot re-sign Miller.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
disagree. 2 pieces if a better prospect, 3 if not. its a 2 year rental not 1 year. Coleman got foote and a 1st as a 2 year rental and he isnt the player miller is.

A lot of the return on rental/rental+1 type players is situational. After disappointment, TB knew they needed players like Coleman and Goodrow and paid a premium for them as they felt those were the "missing pieces". They had the goaltending, high end skill, and defensemen already, but needed some guys like Coleman and Goodrow. They also knew with upcoming cap crunches and some of their players getting older, they had a shorter window so were willing to go all in (so to speak). It paid off.

Miller is certainly better than Coleman, so in a vacuum, the return would be better, but the situation will also dictate how much of a return he gets.

Of course, Van can just hold onto him if they don't like the return and trade him this off-season or at next year's deadline.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alluckks

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Some questions for Canucks' fans on Miller as I don't get to watch VAN that much.

What spot does Miller play on the PP?

Since he scores a lot on the PP, I'm curious (and also curious which teams have a big need on the PP for the spot he plays there.)

He would still help teams at 5v5 as well, given his versatility, but he's excelled on the PP last season and this (based on point totals as I haven't watched him much).

Second question, what type of player does he best mesh with? A goal scorer that he can set up? Or a set-up guy that get him the puck?

Although he can play C or W, is he better at one or the other?

He's played kind of all over the place both 5-on-5 and on the PP, but IMO his playmaking has taken a huge step - he's become a great passer. He would really benefit from having a legit scorer on his line.

I'd say he's best on LW because of his propensity to randomly stop trying halfway through a shift. Really never seen anything like it, it's like he stops caring on a whim. Sometimes that doesn't go well when he's playing defense in his own zone as a center.

e/ adjusted to a more appropriate metaphor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad