Speculation: Official JT Miller Trade Thread II - NEW Update (1/25/22) - Rangers Interest "Next Level"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
The smugness of these types of responses irritate me.

Like it would be peachy if our completely inept GM of the last 8 years didn't completely ruin the window for JT Miller and the Canucks to be relevant at the same time.
But the Canucks aren't going on a run in the next 2 years and indication is leaning towards Miller testing free agency. Gee what a concept hey? A team is trying to extract value for a really good player that unfortunately doesn't fit the timeline.

It's basically a smug response that screams 'hey i have no idea how the salary CAP functions'

Yes i know exactly how the salary cap works and as a Rangers fan I don't want a little more than a year of guy that won't put us over the top and no way in hell can or should we sign for the long term deal he is gonna command in the summer of 2023.
Especially for the assets the Canucks want. The Rangers need cost controlled assets as well in their pipeline like Schneider, Berard and Othmann. People forget that this is still one of the youngest teams in the NHL. We are not the Lightning of the last two years who need to be in win mode now. We should be looking towards the next 5,6,7 years not just this year and next.

Reactions: smoneil

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Thats how contracts for star players go. You always are going to pay 2-3 years past prime.
Panarin's deal is done at 35. Thats how you end term on star players

35-36-37 for forwards are usually pretty nasty.

I would assume we would have to eat a deal to 35 for Miller but going to 36 37 is why most the fanbase doesn't want to re sign him if he wants that.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Yes i know exactly how the salary cap works and as a Rangers fan I don't want a little more than a year of guy that won't put us over the top and no way in hell can or should we sign for the long term deal he is gonna command in the summer of 2023.
Especially for the assets the Canucks want. The Rangers need cost controlled assets as well in their pipeline like Schneider, Berard and Othmann. People forget that this is still one of the youngest teams in the NHL. We are not the Lightning of the last two years who need to be in win mode now. We should be looking towards the next 5,6,7 years not just this year and next.

At some point the Rangers will have to trade a good player because there won't be enough CAP space - or perhaps the Rangers won't be a good team and won't want to pay a good player their prime years.
-Wouldn't it be stupid if someone suggested to just 'keep them'

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Panarin's deal is done at 35. Thats how you end term on star players

35-36-37 for forwards are usually pretty nasty.

I would assume we would have to eat a deal to 35 for Miller but going to 36 37 is why most the fanbase doesn't want to re sign him if he wants that.
Thats the problem with JT being 30 when he signs his next deal. Someone will give him 7-8 years a Zbad money. Panarin signed at 28. Could still see it being the Nucks.

Reactions: sting101 and bl02

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
At some point the Rangers will have to trade a good player because there won't be enough CAP space - or perhaps the Rangers won't be a good team and won't want to pay a good player their prime years.
-Wouldn't it be stupid if someone suggested to just 'keep them'

Yes like my post indicated they should not trade the assets that most Canucks fans on here have suggested like Othmann and Schneider. They can still shop around it doesn't have to be for a guy that "requires 3-4 top young assets."Therefore, if the guys like Lundkvist and Kravtsov are not good enough for Vancouver than Drury should shop elsewhere to improve team.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Yes like my post indicated they should not trade the assets that most Canucks fans on here have suggested like Othmann and Schneider. They can still shop around it doesn't have to be for a guy that "requires 3-4 top young assets."Therefore, if the guys like Lundkvist and Kravtsov are not good enough for Vancouver than Drury should shop elsewhere to improve team.
Fair enough… both are good prospects but you may be looking for options a tier or so below Miller. Which maybe that’s good enough for now.

Reactions: pld459666 and bl02

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Fair enough… both are good prospects but you may be looking for options a tier or so below Miller. Which maybe that’s good enough for now.
Pretty much. Miller is too rich for our young blood right now. People forget we literally just exited a rebuild where we really haven't even seen or given a chance to see what some of these young kids can do. Just like you guys should not trade a guy like Podkolzin. Too much potential and cost controlled for a team that wants to compete for the next 5-10 years not just immediate future.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Thats the problem with JT being 30 when he signs his next deal. Someone will give him 7-8 years a Zbad money. Panarin signed at 28. Could still see it being the Nucks.
It may very well be but then a team that is closer to contending would make more sense and we would have to move him because our window theoretically if we can achieve one is in a 2-3 years. Hence the trade talks.

Sounds like preliminary discussions this week went well so we'll see where it goes.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

YES YES YES

Reactions: slg1963

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Sounds like someone you should keep.

Absolutely, unless we get a package that blows us away, or maybe next year closer to UFA if Canucks dont think they can sign him.

No panic, that guy is paying great ona crazy good 5.25 mil a year for what he is delivering.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Just no to trading one of the games best power forwards right now for Kravstov and Lundqvist

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
If I can get Canuck fans to sit on their hands and not reply to this, I want to ask NYR fans a question...........

Would Ranger management trade Schneider straight up for JT Miller? Just a simple question.....................

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
If I can get Canuck fans to sit on their hands and not reply to this, I want to ask NYR fans a question...........

Would Ranger management trade Schneider straight up for JT Miller? Just a simple question.....................
No, not for 1.5 years of Miller. If we were in a cap position to resign him and/or had a more experienced playoff team i would probably say yes.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017

Question should be "if HF board Ranger fans were the GM, would they make that trade?"
Nobody knows what Drury would do.
As a Ranger fan, my hope is he hangs up the phone.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

I personally would not.

NYR are not mature enough with their younger players where Miller would or could be a difference maker.

I would love to add Miller, but Schneider is a 10+ year asset in this organizations eyes and moving him for a 2 playoff run player doesn't really make much sense if you feel the current team has more holes to fill than just one player.

Miller is a hell of a player and I am absolutely higher on him than most of my NYR fan friends, but its not a good move long term for the NYR at this time.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

NO. Our history has multiple illustrations of huge errors, all of which I was right and mgmt was wrong for doing. One biggie, which should underscore the need to be super careful about crazy surrender of youth for vet, was Mattias Norstrum + [sp?] to LA for an aged Robatille +.

No, we will not make [the mirror image of] that mistake again.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I personally would not.

NYR are not mature enough with their younger players where Miller would or could be a difference maker.

I would love to add Miller, but Schneider is a 10+ year asset in this organizations eyes and moving him for a 2 playoff run player doesn't really make much sense if you feel the current team has more holes to fill than just one player.

Miller is a hell of a player and I am absolutely higher on him than most of my NYR fan friends, but its not a good move long term for the NYR at this time.

da bold is all I ask the win now proponents to confess and admit to

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
And moving Schneider even in that situation would also be a mistake
You realize the goal of this whole thing is to win Stanley Cups right? Not collect the most shiny ELC prospects. Sometimes its proper to go for it and were the Rangers in a better cap position and more experienced they'd be absolutely stupid not to acquire a player of Miller's caliber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad