Speculation: Official JT Miller Trade Thread II - NEW Update (1/25/22) - Rangers Interest "Next Level"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Rutherford was just on Vancouver radio. Something that sounds abundantly clear....

Miller , Boeser, anyone of worth, will not be traded as long as the Canucks are in the mix for a playoff spot.

It really is sounding more and more likely that the big surgery on the Canucks roster will be done in the off-season.

I for one am very much into this plan.

Miller would draw 2/3x more teams in the off-season than right now. The auction and demand for waiting until the off-season will create a big return for the Canucks with possibly way better prospects available in return.

Trade guys like Motte, Schenn etc now and then move guys like Miller or Boeser in the off-season a couple months later.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
You realize the goal of this whole thing is to win Stanley Cups right? Not collect the most shiny ELC prospects. Sometimes its proper to go for it and were the Rangers in a better cap position and more experienced they'd be absolutely stupid not to acquire a player of Miller's caliber.
except now is clearly not sonetimes, b'c others have noted, 1.5 seasons of jtm does not justify it, and whatever your alternate construct is, it would have to not reduce the size of our window from 7ish yrs down to roughly 2-3 yrs. THAT is completely unacceptable, and that would likely, from an unbiased math perspective, likely result in less cups over the same (full) time period.

As I have said, we should have been, and must continue to amass additional assets, pref universally welcomed picks/better prospects. Doing so means AT THAT PT in the near future, we THEN have a surplus and can deal from strength. NOT NOW.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
except now is clearly not sonetimes, b'c others have noted, 1.5 seasons of jtm does not justify it, and whatever your alternate construct is, it would have to not reduce the size of our window from 7ish yrs down to roughly 2-3 yrs. THAT is completely unacceptable, and that would likely, from an unbiased math perspective, likely result in less cups over the same (full) time period.

As I have said, we should have been, and must continue to amass additional assets, pref universally welcomed picks/better prospects. Doing so means AT THAT PT in the near future, we THEN have a surplus and can deal from strength. NOT NOW.
Did you not read the part of my pist where i explained that id only consider if we were in a better cap situation?

If we could upgrade Strome to Miller and get him signed, that gives you 5 years of contention eith the core in their prime befor Zibby, Panarin and Miller age out. If im a GM i make that move 10 times out of 10. Do you think anyone besides you regrets the trades in 1994? Because i can assure you they dont.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Did you not read the part of my pist where i explained that id only consider if we were in a better cap situation?

If we could upgrade Strome to Miller and get him signed, that gives you 5 years of contention eith the core in their prime befor Zibby, Panarin and Miller age out. If im a GM i make that move 10 times out of 10. Do you think anyone besides you regrets the trades in 1994? Because i can assure you they dont.
1. underline, I saw that and props to you for saying at least you would not do it now, howev,...
2. as to if NY were in a better position, I said "whatever your alternate construct is" you still had to not defray from the 7ish yr window I noted.
3. It is cheap cop out to say NY or other braintrust does not give a trat's ass about deals from long ago. To the extent you learn from your mistakes or ar doomed to repeat them, it needs to be understood that almost any trade of Schneider is a huge mistake comparable to Norstrom, and dealing youth when there is no surplus = cannibalization, which is ultimately not smart given repercussions.
4. I dispute 'if we swap out Strome for JT' as not accurate as to what is doable premise. For better or worse, we need to jettison his 4.5m. After next season, JTM will want the moon, or at least a lot more, on what may be his retirement deal. His fave team growing up, Pens, shapes up as being able to be a fit for that. Granted, your statement was somehow, if NY had more cap room. But that is not realistic, b'c we are not swapping out Strome 4.5 for a bit more. AND we are also looking at raises for others.

so no.
deal vets to get down to a true core, play the kids who are part thereof, and kick ass as they start to gel

Lat

Oct 12, 2005
Rutherford was just on Vancouver radio. Something that sounds abundantly clear....

Miller , Boeser, anyone of worth, will not be traded as long as the Canucks are in the mix for a playoff spot.

It really is sounding more and more likely that the big surgery on the Canucks roster will be done in the off-season.

I for one am very much into this plan.

Miller would draw 2/3x more teams in the off-season than right now. The auction and demand for waiting until the off-season will create a big return for the Canucks with possibly way better prospects available in return.

Trade guys like Motte, Schenn etc now and then move guys like Miller or Boeser in the off-season a couple months later.
Value of Miller higher now than in the offseason as teams would get one additional playoff run with him...

Reactions: bh53 and CherryToke

Takumi3000

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Vancouver won’t trade any of their top guys short of overpayment from another team. Rutherford said so himself. His quote was basically saying he felt stress free because all of his top guys are not pending UFAs. He doesn’t feel pressured to have to move them right now.

In theory, trading Miller now should yield the most return but not necessarily. More teams could bid in the summer/have more cap flexibility. Canucks could go on a historic run and make the post-season where Miller does even more damage and ups his value. I’m happy for once that our new management team won’t make a panic trade to save their jobs like Benning constantly did.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I was wondering why the f*** Miller was still even in trade talks. Nice to see some common sense taking over.

3 points back, with the team at over 100+ point pace since Boudreau took over.

Canucks are pretty much a lock for the playoffs IMHO.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
... 3 points back, with the team at over 100+ point pace since Boudreau took over. Canucks are pretty much a lock for the playoffs IMHO.

Avs +26Preds +11Kings +7
Wild +18Knights +10Ducks +5
Flames +15Oil +8Jets +3
Blues +14Stars +7Canucks +1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
West certainly presents more interesting possible races than the East,
where the Caps +12/Bruins +11 have much more comfortable gap ahead of 9th/10th teams DRW/CBJ at .500 (Isles 11th -3)

Passing 4 teams is tough, but do-able, a full 10 weeks to go!

Last edited:
Reactions: bh53

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
I was wondering why the f*** Miller was still even in trade talks. Nice to see some common sense taking over.

15.1% chance to make the playoffs is far from a lock.

NHL Playoff Odds -MoneyPuck 2022 Playoff & Cup Odds

Sportsclubs stats put them at 4.8%..

You need to realize, just because they are three points back, they also have games in hands and there are also lot of 3 points games. The team they are chasing (LA) is also nowhere a lock for the playoffs either.

Reactions: bh53

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal

You need to realize, just because they are three points back, they also have games in hands and there are also lot of 3 points games. The team they are chasing (LA) is also nowhere a lock for the playoffs either.

This is a strange way to put it, because it's based on math, and not based on how the team is drastically different under Boudreau.

The team under Boudreau is performing at a 100+ point pace, they've allowed the fewest goals in the league, and are quietly posting up an elite second half.

I sort of think it'll be Vancouver + Dallas in the wildcard spots, with California and Nashvillle dropping out.

And I'm not a fan of any of those teams. Just an outside casual observer.

Also... this is HOCKEY. It's about going for it. You ain't getting younger. Can't say for certain you'll be better next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyWooot

Bob Cajun

Mar 3, 2021
This is a strange way to put it, because it's based on math, and not based on how the team is drastically different under Boudreau.

The team under Boudreau is performing at a 100+ point pace, they've allowed the fewest goals in the league, and are quietly posting up an elite second half.

I sort of think it'll be Vancouver + Dallas in the wildcard spots, with California and Nashvillle dropping out.

And I'm not a fan of any of those teams. Just an outside casual observer.

Also... this is SPORTS. It's about going for it.

Another spin on the Canucks record under Boudreau. After starting 8-0-1 in his first 9 games, they are a .500 team since then. And this is the issue that management faces. Which team are they? If they continue on their recent pace of playing .500 hockey from here on out, they absolutely are not a playoff team. And I think that Rutherford and Alvin understand this. They are a middling team buoyed by a Vezina caliber goalie.

As a lifelong fan who has suffered through the Benning/Weisbrod era for 8 years, I hope they make the smart choice and sell high on some of the highest value assets.

RooBicks

Oct 12, 2020

15.1% is based on their entire body of work weighted towards the present. While the weighting corrects a bit for trends, it won't reflect the magnitude of their turnaround. Canucks under Boudreau are at 110 point pace after 20+ games. They're not going to win the cup. But they have a better than 15.1% chance of making the playoffs.

Ita

Mar 11, 2019

Also... this is HOCKEY. It's about going for it. You ain't getting younger. Can't say for certain you'll be better next year.

The team has cooled off significantly after the first 9 games. Simply taking the pts/game pace under Boudreau and extrapolating it and assumes it's just going to hold is also not realistic.

Also, not sure why you are included about the part about "going for it". Seems like a strawman to me. If you read my original reply, I was simply disagreeing with that poster's assessment that the team is a "LOCK" to make the playoffs.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Not sure if its posturing to get more offers or if theres any truth to it but there are reports and chatter out of Vancouver radio that the Canucks have started to lean on a organizational decision to move Boeser instead of Miller and re-sign Miller instead.

Apparently Miller is very loyal and grateful for the Canucks for giving him an opportunity to be in a role to succeed and may have given an indication that he wants to re-sign in Vancouver.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cogburn

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Not sure if its posturing to get more offers or if theres any truth to it but there are reports and chatter out of Vancouver radio that the Canucks have started to lean on a organizational decision to move Boeser instead of Miller and re-sign Miller instead.

Apparently Miller is very loyal and grateful for the Canucks for giving him an opportunity to be in a role to succeed and may have given an indication that he wants to re-sign in Vancouver.

I don't know what a Buck Foston is, but I'm glad someone is the same page I am.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

What are you on dude sounds like some wicked stuff....seriously.

The Canucks are 7 points out of the playoffs, just looked completely flat against the Ducks, one of the teams they are competing against for that spot and all of the other teams except the
Ducks have games in hand.

This is not a SC contending team and they aren't trending in that direction.

Sure don't make a panic trade but also don't delude yourself on the current team and future prospects either, that sounds like a Jim Benning ownership SNAFU that we have had for the last 8 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad