Speculation: What is Swayman's Trade Value?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
We'll offer you Gibson, take it or leave it.

Jokes aside, I am still fairly certain Gibson could become a bonafide number 1 goalie again in a different market and with an actually capable defense in front of him.

Maybe something around Gibson @30% retained plus a B-level prospect like Sidorov could be considered fair value.

Boston gets a proven goalie with a somewhat high probability of bouncing back and rejuvenating his career as well as a prospect that pots goals en masse in juniors but is completely unproven amongst men.

Anaheim gets a great goalie, who can easily mentor Dostal to take over in a few years and some redemption for the lopsided mess that was the Lindholm deal.
"Guys I know he's sucked ass for a half decade now but we promise there's still a good goalie in there"

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
We have a thread on the contract negotiations, what's been offered, what's fair, the comps, etc.

This thread is about his trade value; who would be interested and what would they offer?
Nothing, because a player without a contract has unsettled value, and will probably have zero or negative value when you secure him after the trade.

Only suckers pay for the privilege of negotiating with a free agent.

Swayman's worth will not the same, depending on whether he signs a 4M per year contract, 6.5M, 9M a year, 11.5M a year, etc...

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Nothing, because a player without a contract has unsettled value, and will probably have zero or negative value when you secure him after the trade.

Only suckers pay for the privilege of negotiating with a free agent.

Swayman's worth will not the same, depending on whether he signs a 4M per year contract, 6.5M, 9M a year, 11.5M a year, etc...

LMAO

Hab fans. Savard is worth a 1st.

also Habs fans, Swayman is worth nothing and potentially negative value if signed. Unreal.

Pulling 11.5 out your backside and adding etc like it could go higher is laughable.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
"Guys I know he's sucked ass for a half decade now but we promise there's still a good goalie in there"

It sounds silly but it also sounds a lot like the Bruins fans who think that Korpisalo can hold the fort because under Boston goalie coaching everyone’s a star.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
It sounds silly but it also sounds a lot like the Bruins fans who think that Korpisalo can hold the fort because under Boston goalie coaching everyone’s a star.
Korpi was pretty good as recentky as 22-23. Been a lot longer for gibson

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
LMAO

Hab fans. Savard is worth a 1st.
It sucks that you are one of those guys who think any discussion in the league has to do with rivalries but it doesn't.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Savard's value (you'll also note that I don't post in threads regarding Savard's value because as an adult, I know it's pointless to determine the value a player will have in march, in September. What the f*** are you doing over there, wasting your time?)
also Habs fans, Swayman is worth nothing and potentially negative value if signed. Unreal.

Pulling 11.5 out your backside and adding etc like it could go higher is laughable.
Seriously, this wasn't an attack on Swayman. If you minimally knew how a cap league works, you'd know that. Swayman's value is unsettled.

It's a fact that the value of every player in this league is tied to his contract. As long as this is a cap year, that will be reality.

Grow up and learn that, if you want to discuss the game. You'll learn a lot more than by lumping fans together and clinging to weird rivalries.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
It sucks that you are one of those guys who think any discussion in the league has to do with rivalries but it doesn't.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Savard's value (you'll also note that I don't post in threads regarding Savard's value because as an adult, I know it's pointless to determine the value a player will have in march, in September. What the f*** are you doing over there, wasting your time?)

Seriously, this wasn't an attack on Swayman. If you minimally knew how a cap league works, you'd know that. Swayman's value is unsettled.

It's a fact that the value of every player in this league is tied to his contract. As long as this is a cap year, that will be reality.

Grow up and learn that, if you want to discuss the game. You'll learn a lot more than by lumping fans together and clinging to weird rivalries.

I never said you specifically said Savard was, that's why I said your fanbase aka Habs fans. I was making a point your fanbase does indeed have this rep on these boards. The over valuation your own players awhile under valuing others. Yes all fan base do this. One is rather notorious on these boards for it though and I'm sure you know which club that is.

As for Swayman if he was a Habs holdout I'm certain your opinion on his value unsigned RFA wouldn't be "nothing". I do believe his contract demands would effect his trade value. It certainly doesn't make one of the best young goalies in the league value worthless like you claimed. That's ridiculous and I call it as such.

I never got personal with you. Perhaps you need to grow up.

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think the contract demands and the situation in general would make it a lot more difficult than anticipated to move Swayman at this point. Which would effectively cut into his "value" pretty substantially.

And really, i think the Bruins have pretty much made their bed with Swayman. He holds heaps of leverage from the fact that they've already made their decision and dealt Ullmark away. They really can't afford to trade Swayman too. So he may sort of have them over a barrel when it comes to those contract demands...but they really don't have any other viable option. Korpisalo isn't a guy you want to rely on. I'm not sure there's really any situations out there where you'd have teams on the eve of the season, ready to flip their own decent starting goalie for a much more expensive one in Swayman - as good as he may be.

I think a lot of teams have also already addressed their goaltending situations, or at least believe that they've addressed it. Optimism abounds at this time of year.

The only teams that don't at least seem to have a "settled" goaltending situation, or made moves that they're obviously optimistic about, are roughly:

-Detroit - but they also already have a crowded goalie crease. They'd be the only landing spot that i could see making that big splash right now...and likely has the cap space and the trade chips to get it done.

-Pittsburgh - possibly, but Jarry and his contract would have to go back so you're not saving much on a bigtime downgrade and they don't really have the other capital to move that would help Boston at all. Also kind of untenable cap-wise.

-Philly - though they also may just be fine trying to figure out if their own young guys have it or not.

-Chicago - but i don't think they're really in the right phase of a rebuild to splurge on a $10M goalie or the assets to acquire him.

-San Jose - but they're so early in their rebuild, it's ibid, the Chicago thing above. Too early to go big game hunting for a goalie when the rest of the team is still years away.

I think that's pretty much it. So...when the market shrinks that small, the "value" is kind of decimated. That's not to say Swayman wouldn't be a huge upgrade for a ton of other teams as well, but logistics eliminate them, as does that optimism about how they've more "cheaply" addressed their goaltending situations and hope it all works out.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I think his value takes a big hit if he's traded in the next few weeks. Most teams have their rosters set and are close to the cap. It would require a lot of money moving around to make space for Swayman for several teams. Then there's the chance that Swayman refuses to sign with certain teams or the teams themselves don't like his demands.

Pretty awful place to be for the Bruins.

Reactions: BLONG7

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Considering Swayman’s contract demands his trade value might not be too good. Not many clubs have cap room (or a desire) to allocate 10+ to their goalie. Maybe there’s a gamble trade on guys like Gibson or Demko?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I think his value takes a big hit if he's traded in the next few weeks. Most teams have their rosters set and are close to the cap. It would require a lot of money moving around to make space for Swayman for several teams. Then there's the chance that Swayman refuses to sign with certain teams or the teams themselves don't like his demands.

Pretty awful place to be for the Bruins.
This is on the GM.
Sweeney is usually a sharp guy, but not this time.
Don't think he gets traded.

Does anyone know why, Swayman annointed himself as the Savior of goaltenders salaries, and is dying on the sword for his brothren?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad