Speculation: Official JT Miller Trade Thread II - NEW Update (1/25/22) - Rangers Interest "Next Level"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Miller is playing his way off the trade block. Unless a sweetheart deal comes along, he’s a Canuck for at least the rest of this season. My bet is they find a way to extend him.
Yup. Well, it's good that the Canuck fans seem soo highly of him lately, especially in this thread, they are going to love to hold onto him!

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
would miller consider taking a discount? maybe his market price by suitors will be in the ballpark around 8 mill. just spitballing here but in van 5yrs 6.5 or 7mill

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
would miller consider taking a discount? maybe his market price by suitors will be in the ballpark around 8 mill. just spitballing here but in van 5yrs 6.5 or 7mill

I doubt he takes a sweetheart deal in a high tax place like Canada. If it were Florida or Texas then maybe. I’m guessing he gets 8 million minimum for 6 years minimum. I wouldn’t love that deal.

Reactions: lawrence

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Well, I pretty well had enough of the silliness.

This thread is not about Eichel, nor his value when he was traded..........and every learned hockey fans knows his story and why his value was what it was. If Eichel comes back better than ever, he will be as valuable as Matthews. But that is and wasn't the case as of now, his surgery has not been tested. his value is different, than if he is completely healed.

This thread is about Miller and his value, and again, any learned fan knows many lesser players that have been traded, that have received a 1st and a A- prospect, there have been more than a few trades where the players has been traded for a NHL player, a A-prospect, and a 1st. The question then, how much is retention worth?

So, even if a argument can be made that Miller is not worth all of that, learned fans can certainly not argue that that Millers value is worth more than a NHL player, an A prospect and a late 1st. To argue against that, underlines that person's knowledge of the game. No one can argue that these types of trades do not happen often because they do not, but certainly in a vacuum, the value is fair, and those trades do happen.

Again, Miller certainly equals a A-prospect and a late first, and the retention must equal a fair amount. (aka a NHL player or 3rd line or lower?)

This will equal, a fair trade of Miller at 50% retained for a NHL player, an A-prospect, and a late 1st.

The other argument that never seems to get brought up is the possibility of Miller being re-signed in 2 years, which could very well happen, or his rights traded, in the second year or before his UFA status takes effect.......all in the realm of possibilities.........

Now, the question is, what is Schneiders status as a prospect, well, I do not think at this time anyone could argue he is a blue chip prospect, as those are bestowed on elite prospects, of which Schneider is not. He has never been anointed as one. And no one has done so in this thread, the argument is only said that he is good and has a spot ear marked for him. I do not believe any Ranger fan would compare him to Fox, who is. Therefore, at best he is an A-prospect, and would be deemed expendable, for the right price.

As not one, can say what Rutherford or Drury will do, it is a mute point, and a point that should not be discussed in denial or refusal of common acceptance.

It is easily accepted that either GM could refuse to do the deal, and Rutherford has taken a step back from his original statements, so we shall see, but honestly, I think value wise..........none of the Rangers blue chips should be on the table for discussion, and everything else should be also.

IMO, people on both side are wearing rose colored glasses..............

Apparently 5 teams had Schneider as a top 10 pick when he was drafted inlcuding VAN.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
This is stupid. NYR cannot afford Miller's salary next year, only as a rental. This is never going to happen. These rumours are baseless.
correct

Rangers can afford Miller 2022-23. After that, gets dicey. Rangers need to weigh out if they are okay with two runs.
incorrect, see below

Georgiev, Kakko, Strome, Blais, Gauthier, McKegg, Rooney and Hajek need new contracts, and Lundqvist's dead cap all might help.

Also, if the plan is to keep as many of them as possible, other moves have to be made anyway (there is only 3.65 million in cap space available), Miller could just be the replacement to one of those pieces next year as well.
doing lose Strome + Geo + Nemeth + Hajek +recover Hank's 2.5 buyout = 11m+ which does = what we need for Fox + Zib which start next year. BUT THIS IS NOT ENUF FOR ANYTHING MORE.

We can do Miller's half season bal of this year. Can't afford it next yr.
Unless... we add him this year and then flip him as a rental next season. Only way.

For a rebuilding team that sounds like a terrible idea. They cannot trade controlled, cheap youth contracts for veteran contracts, even at 50% retention. Strome might not be re-signed for cap reasons, Buchnevich was traded for peanuts (PPG player). It makes no sense. If they gave Buchnevich away for basically nothing - and he would've been cheap - why would they then trade for Miller?

If they trade it's for a rental.
Correct, and they shouldnt be doing too much there, b'c rentals will just be depleting, cannibalizing youth for splurge overreaches. Should deal Strome, give mo mins to Chytil and Barron and make room for Krav.

Schneider is the only ELC/Jr. player that the Rangers have that should be untouchable
I agree he should be the most untouchable, but we should not be cavalier about dealing anybody. The only high end prospect who is duplicative is Jones; he is blocked by Fox in terms of style, Nils L is similar but has a WAY better shot, the best on the team, and I would rather have Robertson.

I mean it costs them Strome (and they probable need to trade Nemeth and/or Georgiev) but they can do it next season. Whether they should do it, that’s another question.
No, they cannot, pls see above. It is not enuf b'c as mentioned, need scratch for other deals.

Rangers are not contenders, they have no cap space to improve their team for next year, and jt isn't a rental. On top of that, van isn't retaining just to get a late first and b prospects.

Thread has run its coarse
We are outside contenders, but rest of that is likely true. We should be shedding excess weight and max our mins with our youth to get our true core.

Othmann, Lundqvist, and a 2022-1st
for
Miller at 50%

Would Vancouver accept this?
before we get to VAN, this is a no from NY
HOWEVER it may be salvagable w/tinkering...

package deal:
1. I want a 2nd + a 3rd for Strome who is expiring UFA. Give me
Strome + Kinkaid
for
Halak + WPG 3rd.
comment/value: Strome you will probably have to flip, value of a 2nd for Halak, Kink is a throw in,

2. Now that you have created room to even consider upgrade to Miller,
Othmann
Jones
+ NYR conditional 2022 2nd which morphs into a 2022-1st if NYR win the cup

for

Miller at 50%

In the long run it is prob smarter to keep O-man, and in order to have scratch for everybody else we still prob need to deal both Lindgren + JTM, but that might be close enuf to do the trick for a limited all in this yr.

Again, my vote is no, but that is closer/closest.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
doing lose Strome + Geo + Nemeth + Hajek +recover Hank's 2.5 buyout = 11m+ which does = what we need for Fox + Zib which start next year. BUT THIS IS NOT ENUF FOR ANYTHING MORE.

We can do Miller's half season bal of this year. Can't afford it next yr.
Unless... we add him this year and then flip him as a rental next season. Only way.

I mean, yeah, there are going to have to be moves made anyway, as walking 4 players that contributed over the last few years would be tough to swallow.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Every week I keep thinking, he’s going to come down to earth eventually right?
And he is literally getting better and better, it’s unreal.

In a weird way, he might be playing so good, they are basically forced to not trade him, which would be a funny spin lol

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
At this rate I dont see how a team doesnt meet Rutherford asking price of a 1st, young roster player and a top end prospect. Come March I think there will be somewhat of a bidding war that will lead to us getting an additional 4th asset like a mid round pick or a B prospect

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
There’s a wide gulf between a top end prospect (which won’t be traded for Miller) and a prospect who will be the top prospect in Vancouver.

Nuckler

May 7, 2013
If I'm the Canucks I'd be looking at LA as an ideal partner assuming they are interested. They have some cap room, and miller fits in to give doughty and kopitar another go in the playoffs.

Maybe something like:
LAK 1st, Brock Faber, and akil Thomas

For JTM @%50

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
There’s a wide gulf between a top end prospect (which won’t be traded for Miller) and a prospect who will be the top prospect in Vancouver.
Cool, we will keep him then for another year, and trade him next deadline

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
If I'm the Canucks I'd be looking at LA as an ideal partner assuming they are interested. They have some cap room, and miller fits in to give doughty and kopitar another go in the playoffs.

Maybe something like:

For JTM @%50
None of those pieces are enticing.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015

Maybe something like:

For JTM @%50

I would have gone
Faber/Grens 2022/2023 1st Vilardi/Kupari

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad