(Official) Around the NHL 8.0

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
He's gotta make that bank so his family can start a monopoly in his hometown ;) (my hometown). His family has popped up a couple businesses in the past two years

Also, to the person who said Seattle over Vegas, idunnnnooooo.. A winter trip to Vegas to watch the Flames play seems pretty nice!!

You're from Lloyd? My old roommate is related to him on her moms side.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
my ex-fiance was from Llyod. I have a special place in my deepest darkest most evil parts of my heart for the town that bred that soulless.........

so anyways 8.1 is way too much, I wouldn't even pay him what the Caps are offering

bWo*

my ex-fiance was from Llyod. I have a special place in my deepest darkest most evil parts of my heart for the town that bred that soulless.........

so anyways 8.1 is way too much, I wouldn't even pay him what the Caps are offering

You wouldn't pay him 5?

Aug 3, 2010

I'm going to take a wild stab at it here and guess it's because he doesn't feel that he's worth $5m. :dunno:

I don't know if I agree that he's not worth five (considering he's 25 and should improve with experience factored in), but he's absolutely not worth six million.

Goaltenders who are being paid ~6m are Price, Ward, Miller, Schneider, Crawford, Bishop (5.950m, close enough.) Two Cup winners, 1 Cup finalist, 2 Vezina winners. In fact, Schneider's the only outlier (when talking about personal/team accomplishments, I think he has a Jennings award shard with Luongo) and I'd argue easily that he's the better goaltender over Holtby anyways.
Every other goaltender getting paid north of six has at least a Vezina to their name. The majority of goaltenders in the 5.5-6m range have Vezinas and/or Cups/Finals appearances.

Holtby's a legitimate starter in the NHL but he's definitely in that 4.5m-5 range right now. Looking at his ask, it's obvious that he hopes he gets at least 6 million, maybe a bit more if he's lucky and the arbiter sides with his camp for whatever reason. But the truth is, he's still pretty unproven and shouldn't see more than 5.5 at the most - and that would be an overpayment IMO.

bWo*

GAA of 2.22, better than quick, lundqvist, schneider, crawford, rask, bishop, fleury. He played the most games and faced the most shots and had the most saves. SV% of .923 ties him with rinne and anderson and beats rask lundqvist, varly, fleury, quick and bob. 1.71 GAA in the ploffs and .944 SV%, better than every other goalie except anderson (0.97 GAA, .972 SV% 4 GP). career average of .921 and 2.44, ploffs average of .936 and 1.92. Hes worth 5.5-6 imo

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
good for him? my counter to stats is simple.

Barry Trotz.

It's not a coincidence he saw his GAA and SV% improve dramatically as soon as Trotz took the reigns in Washington. 1 good season under a defensive coach like Trotz doesn't make him a $5 million goaltender.

Aug 3, 2010
GAA of 2.22, better than quick, lundqvist, schneider, crawford, rask, bishop, fleury. He played the most games and faced the most shots and had the most saves. SV% of .923 ties him with rinne and anderson and beats rask lundqvist, varly, fleury, quick and bob. 1.71 GAA in the ploffs and .944 SV%, better than every other goalie except anderson (0.97 GAA, .972 SV% 4 GP). career average of .921 and 2.44, ploffs average of .936 and 1.92. Hes worth 5.5-6 imo
I agree that his raw numbers look competitive, but he's asking to be paid like the best despite having proven less. I will admit it's not like I watch the Capitals or Holtby but there has to be a reason why his numbers look better than what people are saying about his overall ability. He hasn't been good enough to win anything, to receive any recognition among his peers - because his peers have shown to be better than him thus far. For whatever reason, the argument that he's a $6m goaltender doesn't hold water with others once they look past his stats, and.

I don't know why you're including names of goaltenders who are paid less than 6m, because it's obvious that Holtby is gunning for at least a $6m dollar contract. Quick, Fleury, Anderson, Varlamov are all paid less, and it's obvious that at least 2 if not more should be paid more than six million and by that standard, more than Holtby.

Furthermore, to pay a goaltender for potential isn't the wisest way to spend salary cap dollars - even Price was a bit of a question mark just as recently as 3 years ago. Fact of the matter is Holtby isn't in that discussion for the next tier of goaltenders, against players who have accomplished accolades such as Conn Smythes, Vezinas, Jennings, Harts, and Cup wins - and to be honest, those factors are usually what drives contract talks anyways.

bWo*

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2014/04/26/the-micromanager-adam-oatess-downfall/
Adam Oates said:
“I’m a head coach of a team: My job is to know every position,†Oates said recently. “I never played D but I know D, so I know goaltending.â€

I agree that he doesn't have the biggest body of work but he has 2 good season, a meh season with oates and he always shows up in the ploffs.

Quick has a 10 year deal where he's making 3.5, 3 and 2.5 in the last 3 years. I want him to get the varly contract, i think thats more than fair

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...nto-maple-leafs-mike-babcock-auston-matthews/

Apparently Doug MacLean isn't the only brain dead MacLean working for Rogers.

“Fantastic. I think for sure playoffs. I tell you who’s going to be lights-out this year is Jordan Eberle and Taylor Hall.

“They went over to the World Championship and played with Crosby, which is similar to Messier and Gretzky. Not that they needed any encouragement but those two Oilers flanked Mario Lemieux at the crucial moment of the Canada Cup in ’87. Now you have two Oilers flanking Sid to a gold. You watch Eberle take off. He’s already been great in international hockey, but I think this is going to be his year, Taylor Hall’s year.

“And Connor McDavid and Darnell Nurse will fit in. Gimme a glass of wine or a beer, and I think in two years they win the Cup. That may be a little eager, but I don’t think more than four.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Well to be fair, he admits he needs a glass of wine or beer before making his prediction.

Honestly though they have a lot of good pieces, its just they might need a culture change internally and that could mean moving a lot of those pieces out.

Much like Calgary and Iginla. That signaled an identity change with the entire team.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Well to be fair, he admits he needs a glass of wine or beer before making his prediction.

Honestly though they have a lot of good pieces, its just they might need a culture change internally and that could mean moving a lot of those pieces out.

Much like Calgary and Iginla. That signaled an identity change with the entire team.
Unless McJesus can play goal or be a top pairing defenseman the Oilers are still ****ed.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Leafs: "We're going to base our decisions around progressive, stat-based analytics"

Today: "Leafs have hired Lou Lamoriello"

:laugh:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think Lou will be handling the business side of things mostly, his experience will be a huge benefit to Shanahan who is still relatively inexperienced at this. Drafting and trades will likely be handled by the new blood in the organization.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
i think lou will be handling the business side of things mostly, his experience will be a huge benefit to shanahan who is still relatively inexperienced at this. Drafting and trades will likely be handled by the new blood in the organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad