Official 2023 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
I can’t wait till the Hawks take Michkov #1 and keep adding talent with all the picks they have, while still sucking for top picks, and then bring him over.

This kid was neck and neck with Bedard. Not his fault he didn’t play in the world juniors and nothing he has done in the Russian league would set him back. He says he will come over.

This would be a phenomenal, ballsy move that I hope to see.

Pablo Sanchez

The Secret Weapon
Oct 17, 2011
Nj
I can’t wait till the Hawks take Michkov #1 and keep adding talent with all the picks they have, while still sucking for top picks, and then bring him over.

This kid was neck and neck with Bedard. Not his fault he didn’t play in the world juniors and nothing he has done in the Russian league would set him back. He says he will come over.

Don’t hold your breath :laugh::laugh:

scumpup

Nov 29, 2021

And then Bedard Fantilli or Carlsson falls to 7 in this bizarro world. and we win.

scumpup

Nov 29, 2021
Unironically though, I hope a team screws up and takes reinbacher over Benson.

If Bedard Fantilli Carlsson Smith are in the guaranteed 1-5 range, and someone takes reinbacher or something, then either benson or michkov will fall to us (whichever wasnt picked 1-6, either michkov at 2-5 or benson at 5-6).

benson is the most realistic of the 6 to be left over if a team goes in on an oddball pick.

Shouldve given Risto more minutes.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
As checked out as I am, I can't stomach this team smoking another layup in feverish pursuit of being the 2016-17 Columbus Blue Jackets. I'm dead inside and their processes still make me cry.

We're just going to have to trust that Brent Flahr is his own man. The last time Fletcher wasn't suffocating him, he helped the Wild land Filip Johnansson. Fingers crossed!
Flahr had Kaprizov as a second round pick and was so adamant about it that he drafted a goalie in the 4th round (that they ended up not signing) and had Fletcher trade for a 5th round pick so he could draft him.

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
According to EP, Flyers are 27th in average height and 29th in average weight so far.
Something will change this summer, but right now they have Atkinson, Frost, Konecny, York, Deangelo, Walker, also Brink, Andrae, Tuomaala in the system.
Yes, this is a right time to spend 7th OA for another undersized player and finally “change old dinosaur’s culture”

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Flahr didn’t draft the goalie in round 4.

If you listen to 32 Thoughts, Chuck takes responsibility for listening to other scouts who said they had to get a goalie with that 4th rd pick, which apparently was their original plan.

Reactions: DrinkFightFlyers

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Flahr didn’t draft the goalie in round 4.

If you listen to 32 Thoughts, Chuck takes responsibility for listening to other scouts who said they had to get a goalie with that 4th rd pick, which apparently was their original plan.
Yeah that's what I'm saying. While Fletcher absolutely is a shit GM, a lot more goes into a draft pick (especially in the 4th round on the fly) than simply looking at a list.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
According to EP, Flyers are 27th in average height and 29th in average weight so far.
Something will change this summer, but right now they have Atkinson, Frost, Konecny, York, Deangelo, Walker, also Brink, Andrae, Tuomaala in the system.
Yes, this is a right time to spend 7th OA for another undersized player and finally “change old dinosaur’s culture”
You think they should skip over more talented players in order to draft a tall guy? I'll hang up and listen.

Reactions: Tripod and Rebels57

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Just because Leonard likes to hit a lot doesn't mean he's a safe or low ceiling pick. Logical fallacies abound. There's some guy named Alex Ovechkin who is a god damn truck on the ice. Remember when he straight up murdered Couturier?
I'd happily take any Ovie-type player at #7. Leonard ain't that.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I don't think size has as much impact on draft stock as people on here think it does unless it something truly unique. There may be some preferences within organizations, but I don't think there is a team out there saying they won't draft or will only draft certain height players. As many have pointed out, the Flyers have consistently drafted smaller players in all rounds and bigger players in all rounds. There may have been instances where size made an impact with a guy like Sam Morin being a monster whom they thought had the skill to match or even passing on a guy like Caufield or Alex DeBrincat were passed on because of their comparatively extreme size limitations. Outside of posters on this board, I don't remember the Flyers being linked to a guy like Logan Stanley or MIchael Rasmussen or other big-name guys, and in the Caufield draft they took a sub 6' defender it isn't like they reached for a bigger Defender like Hartley that went later in the draft or a bigger forward like Foote or something.

These issues are mostly a fantasy of HFB posters. Size certainly plays a role, and even if the organizational mouthpieces decry the need for size, their actions do not really bare that out except in a handful of situations that I would bet you could look at every organization where they have passed on a guy because he was too small or took a guy sooner than he should have because of his size. Yes the NHL is changing but no team can survive with all 5'7" 150 pound players. Variety is the spice of life. Some short, some tall, some average. Just like you don't need every single player on the team to be a 2-way player. It is ok to have some guys that are all offense or all defense, or pass-first or shoot-first guys. You need it all.

Reactions: cheesesteak

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018

Is it good process to draft a worse player who is taller and bigger than a better player who is shorter and smaller (or vice versa)? This board (or at least most of it) want the Flyers to draft the best available player. If the best available player is short, cool. If the best available player is big, also cool. I just want the team to acquire more talent.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg

Where would they rank in team speed let’s say over the last decade?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Not surprising since he has one of the stronger shots in the draft. Flahrsy the Hutt has a type.
I mean maybe he’s trying to be coy (like with the defensemen comment - Reinbacher?) but he named 3 big centers and maybe the best skating defenseman in the draft. Hockey Guy cat nip.

Briere also said it’s unlikely they get another first if you believe him.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

QCNords

Oct 19, 2017
Hey Flyers fans! Whats the price tag for the 7th oa pick this year? From MTL perspective...
Keep it friendly guys!

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hey Flyers fans! Whats the price tag for the 7th oa pick this year? From MTL perspective...
Keep it friendly guys!

Suzuki or Caufield are the only assets Montreal has that are of similar value to 7th overall in this draft. Don't think there is a deal to be had here.

I mean maybe he’s trying to be coy (like with the defensemen comment - Reinbacher?) but he named 3 big centers and maybe the best skating defenseman in the draft. Hockey Guy cat nip.

Briere also said it’s unlikely they get another first if you believe him.

That's a bummer. Guess we can un-buckle our seatbelts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad