Official 2023 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
He's f***ing fat. What are we doing?

Flahr Metal Jacket

zjnRaRB.png

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
If somehow the Flyers draft Michkov or any of the other top 6 guys in the draft and then some bullshit happens I do not want to hear any bellyaching about it.
I think most are aware that there is no things as a sure fire pick. Any of these prospects can bust. It’s also hard for people to evaluate the past with present knowledge, hence you get the hindsight experts. “They had a chance to get Barlow/Danielson/Ritchie/etc but instead they drafted Smith/Michkov/Moore/etc” if the former surprise and the latter bust, will almost certainly be echoed. Maybe I’m misunderstanding your post though

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
IF they do, I offer a HAUL to CBJ to get Fantilli.
I can't imagine they'd move if that were the case, and certainly not to 7. If Fantilli is at 3 and CBJ is open to trading it, I would assume that SJS, AZ, and MTL would all be interested. Unless you offer a truly ridiculous package like 7 + 22 + TK + Hayes (50%) + more I don't think they trade with us.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Top 5 picks are almost exclusively never traded, people shouldn’t even consider that as an option. You’re more inclined to try and contort the player you really like falling to 7 than anything else.

Hopefully the flyers just take the BPA like Briere said since they just need talent over everything else.

Reactions: BernieParent

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
“Hockey sense is an important (characteristic) for us, character is an important one,” Briere added.

Which puts Michkov and Benson high on their draft Board.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
“Hockey sense is an important (characteristic) for us, character is an important one,” Briere added.

Which puts Michkov and Benson high on their draft Board.

I don't buy that we can draw any conclusions from as generic and nebulous an attribute as hockey sense.

"We want smart, fast, big, skilled players." Fantastic. Hope you're picking 1OA.

Reactions: Magua

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't buy that we can draw any conclusions from as generic and nebulous an attribute as hockey sense.

"We want smart, fast, big, skilled players." Fantastic. Hope you're picking 1OA.
Actually, that's what Briere said, he would love to have a 6'6 center with speed and great hockey skills.
He also pointed out there aren't too many players who fit that pattern. :laugh:
So you have to make tradeoffs.

Size, speed and skill are easier to observe than hockey IQ, work ethic and motor, especially when viewing highlights.
So they tend to get overrated in all sports.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Top 5 picks are almost exclusively never traded, people shouldn’t even consider that as an option. You’re more inclined to try and contort the player you really like falling to 7 than anything else.

Hopefully the flyers just take the BPA like Briere said since they just need talent over everything else.
Unless they go WAY off board or pass on someone that falls, I feel like everyone slotted at 7-15ish is about on the same general level so they may go with positional need, or ceiling, or floor, or some specific trait/skill. They really can't screw this up unless they pass on Michkov or pick Jay O'Brien or German Rubstov or Sam Morin. So I guess they can screw it up but they really shouldn't.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
The athletic writers draft boards are very different after the top 5 picks. Their concensus has Benson listed at 9. Wheeler has him at 6. Pronman 17...other players on the consensus board Dvorsky at 6 , Leonard 7, wood 8, perrault 9.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
The athletic writers draft boards are very different after the top 5 picks. Their concensus has Benson listed at 9. Wheeler has him at 6. Pronman 17...other players on the consensus board Dvorsky at 6 , Leonard 7, wood 8, perrault 9.
I think that is indicative of the quality in this draft. There's a clear top but then then next 10+ picks could really go in any direction that wouldn't really be bad picks unless someone does something really unexpected.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think that is indicative of the quality in this draft. There's a clear top but then then next 10+ picks could really go in any direction that wouldn't really be bad picks unless someone does something really unexpected.
I think this is why Briere would love to pick up something like #17 from Detroit, it'll be in the area where there are high quality players on the board.
And probably why #25 v #28 is the sticking point on a Laughton trade, those three slots could be key if someone they love falls.

Reactions: DrinkFightFlyers

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I think this is why Briere would love to pick up something like #17 from Detroit, it'll be in the area where there are high quality players on the board.
And probably why #25 v #28 is the sticking point on a Laughton trade, those three slots could be key if someone they love falls.
Yeah that would be key if they could swing that. Even the people that should be available at 22 are intriguing as there is a real chance someone we all love at 7 could be there at 22 depending on how things shake out. If they can get 17 I don't think it is out of the realm of possibilities to wind up with something like:

Reinbacher/Michkov/Leanord/Dvorsky/Benson at 7
Benson/Perrault/Moore/Sandin-Pelikka/Dvorsky at 17
Simashev/Stenberg/Heidt/Bonk at 22

That would be quite a haul and jumpstart to the rebuild. Pick up a first for next year and maybe our pick is a top 3 pick and that's 6 first rounders in two years. One of them has to hit, right? RIGHT?!

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I was over on Detroit's page and found this 2023 Draft Simulator .

My go at it. Just a fun way to waste 5 minutes
View attachment 720485
Nice. A lot of my decisions were heavily influenced by the mock draft we did here but here's what I got:

7 (1). David Reinbacher (RD)
22 (1). Danil But (LW)
87 (3). Carey Terrance (C)
95 (3). Yegor Sidorov (RW)
103 (4). Dylan MacKinnon (RD)
120 (4). Tristan Bertucci (LD)
135 (5). Yegor Rimashevsky (RW)
167 (6). Jake Fisher (C)
172 (6). Carsen Musser (G)
199 (7). Roman Kukumberg (LW)

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008

View attachment 720485
7 (1). Zach Benson (LW)
22 (1). Tom Willander (RD)
87 (3). Aram Minnetian (RD)
95 (3). Felix Unger Sorum (RW)
103 (4). Luca Cagnoni (LD)
120 (4). Timur Mukhanov (LW)
135 (5). Alexander Rykov (RW)
167 (6). Hoyt Stanley (RD)
172 (6). Daniil Karpovich (LD)
199 (7). Jeremy Hanzel (LD)

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto

View attachment 720485
I put it on most random and let's just say I would not be unhappy if this was real life.

7 (1). Zach Benson (LW)
22 (1). Mikhail Gulyayev (LD)
87 (3). Lukas Dragicevic (RD)
95 (3). Andrew Cristall (LW)
103 (4). Gracyn Sawchyn (C)
120 (4). William Whitelaw (RW)
135 (5). Etienne Morin (LD)
167 (6). Alexander Rykov (RW)
172 (6). Jordan Tourigny (RD)
199 (7). Cole Knuble (C)

Status
Not open for further replies.