Official 2023 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I dont think so given what he has done while being pretty physically immature in the KHL... as well as what he has done at u-18 international level at 16 years old!

He would be the #1 pick in more drafts than not this century based on upside and talent alone.

Now, yeh, "generational" I would only attach to forwards like Jagr, Lindros, Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid over the last ~35 years.

But he could for sure be Kucherov, Matthews, MacKinnon level. In fact if he just develops "normally" from here he will be a star.
Kucherov yes, Matthews maybe. MacKinnon is a center who has shown he can do more than score points.
Centers are more valuable, two way centers who can score at elite levels are most valuable.

Kucherov has benefited from a lot of talent around him.
He's had a couple great seasons, some off seasons, some injury seasons. Top flight playoff performer, which elevates his value.

Would you want to add a Kucherov? Sure. Would you make a Lindros/Pronger trade to get one? Doubtful.

If he falls to #7, Briere has the luxury of leaving him in Russia and making it clear he can wait, Michkov isn't turning down big money in dollars for lesser money in rubles, the Russian economy is going to tank forever (b/c the shift to electric cars is going to stagnate the oil market indefinitely).

Reactions: BernieParent

Pet Charles

Oct 10, 2017
I haven’t heard Russ say that he thinks they will select Moore. I have heard him say HE would have them selecting Moore (based on how the majority thinks 1-6 will go, i.e., Smith, Michkov gone by 6).

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Benson Attacks the Puck. He wants the puck like I want Salma Hayek. In the offense zone get it and do something with it; even if only means a few seconds more in the offensive zone. In the neutral and defensive zones get the puck back, that stick of his is on a swivel; if they don’t have it, then you do. he is Always attacking the puck. All the above is Benson.

for those of you who don’t know, Bobby Clarke weighed about 140-150 lbs going into the playoffs.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
I wouldn’t be upset with Leonard. He probably won’t have an eye popping stat sheet but I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s a do-it-all 30 goal 60 point rich man’s Ryan Callahan. Not “the” star of the team but a valuable piece that every team will want.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I wouldn’t be upset with Leonard. He probably won’t have an eye popping stat sheet but I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s a do-it-all 30 goal 60 point rich man’s Ryan Callahan. Not “the” star of the team but a valuable piece that every team will want.
In my eyes, minimally informed as they are, Leonard is an okay option if the first 6 picks go the worst way possible for the Flyers. But this team is not a rich man, which is the problem with getting a Callahan-esque player -- if he is an accurate comparator -- with the 7OA in a deep draft.

Reactions: Magua and BiggE

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
In my eyes, minimally informed as they are, Leonard is an okay option if the first 6 picks go the worst way possible for the Flyers. But this team is not a rich man, which is the problem with getting a Callahan-esque player -- if he is an accurate comparator -- with the 7OA in a deep draft.
Yeah, he wouldn’t be my first choice but I wouldn’t be upset. He’s in that group of prospects where I’ll be alright if they take him. Unless the Flyers go wildly off the board, I expect I’ll be content

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
IMG_1045.jpeg

Eww

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Depends what you define as generational. He has the potential to be a ~110+ point player in the current scoring climate.

And on talent? He should not go lower than 2nd. But yeh, Caps would not be paying some crazy price to move up for him if there with Flyers.
I don’t think he makes it past #4. Either San Jose takes him or Washington pays a steep ransom to move up 4 spots.

Take this for what it’s worth, but here’s how I see the top 6 going
1. CHI Bedard
2. ANA Fantilli
3. CLM Carlsson
4. SJS or WAS Michkov
5. MTL Smith
6. ARI Benson

My guess is the Flyers take either Leonard or Reinbacher here. I also wouldn’t rule out a deal. I could see Detroit, if there’s a player they really want, moving 9OA and one of their 2nd rounders for 7OA.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if the Flyers move one of Hart/Laughton/TK and acquire another 1st before next Wednesday.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
My completely unscientific and unreliable wishlist for the first round picks assuming we stay at 7 and 22 and assuming no one unexpected falls, which also has changed and will change a thousand times before the actual draft in no particular order (other than Michkov is the preferred pick at 7 if he is there):

Pick 7:
Michkov
Benson
Reinbacher
Dvorsky
Perrault

Pick 22:
Bonk
But
Stenberg
Heidt
Sandin-Pellika
Stramel
Wood

Sizzle Chest

Aug 22, 2020
Seems like the the Flyers want to create the illusion anything is possible vs the old way of telegraphing. Last year many felt the Flyers would take Gauthier. This year feels different. C/W/D all seem legitimately on the table. If Michkov is there at 7, please take him! If not, I’m torn between Benson, Leonard and Moore. Reinbacher is interesting too. We have the option to pick a good player and or trade down and still get a player we like plus gain much needed draft capital. For the first time in a while I am intrigued.

Reactions: Rebels57

Tarpongg

#fakerebuild #cutterwasright #AlexeiAWOL
May 26, 2012
Gulyayev would be my dream at 22 tbh.

I think he has the highest upside of any Dman in this draft.
What are your feelings on Simashev? I know smahtscouting has him at 10 overall, do you concur?

It seems 7 is too early, and he won’t be there at 22…

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
The athletic poll of the top 60 players as to who is the most talented player they played with or against Bedard excluded. Definitely worth the sub for reading material for those that don't have it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230621_115420_The Athletic.jpg
    Screenshot_20230621_115420_The Athletic.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 8

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
What are your feelings on Simashev? I know smahtscouting has him at 10 overall, do you concur?

It seems 7 is too early, and he won’t be there at 22…

I am lower on him that some of my colleagues. He has all the tools but I just see him more likely ending up a 2nd pairing guy.

I would be happy with him if he fell to 22 but prefer Gulyayev by some way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad