Official 2023 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Development and injuries has played a huge role in the defenseman stagnating. Sanheim, Provorov and Gostisbehere at one point so had exceptional puck handling skills and could lead rushes. Look at them now and fumble the puck like it's a grenade and they no longer lead rushes. They get the puck off their sticks as quick as possible. That's a coaching issue. Those skills have been coached right out of their games.

Hagg was also a decent puck handler back in Sweden and the first thing the Flyers coaches do is get him to abandon that and just play a physical game instead. Myers had ability, but as what the Predators said when they got him, all the fundamentals in his game was completely wrong. When Nashville and Tampa Bay give up on someone, you know that things are bad. Once again, rather than coach the fundamentals and let Myers natural ability shine, the Flyers coaches that out of him.

As for Morin, the injury big did him in. It's a shame, but such is the case sometimes.

It'll be interesting to see what the development plan will be going forward, but I'm certainly not convinced that Laperriere is the guy to do that. It's going to be more of the same "check, check, check" and "defense, defense, defense" mentality that seems to plague this club. Any sort of forward thinking in terms of development seems to be out the window.
I dunno. York walks right in and looks solid after a couple months in the AHL - raised the game of every defensive partner he played with. Torts is pushing him to be more aggressive on offense and not play it safe. Zamula was a much better player at the end of the season than the beginning, Ginning improved.

Sanheim had three solid seasons, then signs a big contract and loses it, I think that was more the "Castellanos" effect, some players weird out after signing for big money, thinking they have to justify it and start pressing. Won't surprise me if he rebounds next season. But people overestimate him, great skater with the puck in transition, but mediocre once he gets to the O-zone, lacks the vision and agility to be an elite offensive defenseman.

Ghost was about the injuries, coming out of college he was exceptional, then the ACL sapped some of his explosiveness, then the groin, finally both knees being scoped suggests cartilage issues. He's never going to be the 2017-18 Ghost again, much less Mt Union Ghost. Still effective in a sheltered role.

Provorov is definitely a case of overestimation, he's a solid #2 paired with a #1 RHD. When he plays within himself he's a fine minutes eater, when he tries to do too much his limitations are exposed. He can skate with the puck, but not nearly as good as Sanheim, he can defend but is not elite there either, he has a good shot but nothing exceptional. Don't think that's about development, but the refusal to accept that he just wasn't as good as they thought he was.

Hagg isn't a good enough skater to be offense first in the NHL, problem was he never adjusted mentally to a defense first role, we're seeing the same issue with Risto, Shaw is working on his defense b/c if he can master the nuances of defense, he has enough skill not to be a cipher on offense.

A lot of defensemen put up good offensive numbers at lower levels, some due to the level of competition, some due to usage.
Attard was a productive rover in college, but that doesn't fly in the NHL, he's not fast enough to get away with that at the next level. But if he can learn to be a decent defensive defenseman, using his size and positioning, he can be a weapon on offense paired with a puck carrying partner.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Looks like Michkov will be available for teams before the draft.
If he interviews well, he'll go quickly.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Shit I wanted him from the start of that season, and I was overly excited when we finally got the person I wanted lol
I still think Provorov's game has been limited by his stubborn insistence on using a stick that is a foot too long for his height. There is a reason his innovation isn't widely copied...

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
7: Zach Benson
22: Mikhail Gulyayev
71: Roman Kantserov
87: Tristan Bertucci
103: Yegor Klimovich
120: Damian Clara
135: Alexander Suvorov
167: Oskar Asplund
172: Isac Hedqvist
199: Simone Terraneo/Maxim Fedotov/Bogdan Konyushkov

Now half those guys will be gone by those slots... and no chance the Flyers only select 2x North American based prospects! But some names to watch out for in my eyes in rough slots.

If we can't get Smith or Michkov, this is probably what I'd want for 7 and probably want for 22. However, if Reinbacher or Sale fall to 22, I think I would take either of them over Gulyayev. Not saying Gulyayev is a slouch or anything, While Sale is a faller (considering, if I remember right, he might of been considered top 5/6/7 at the start of the year) 22 would be a great place to snag him. Reinbacher might go in the 10 to 15 range, but if he falls all the way to 22, I don't think you pass on it.

However, I also know I'm not a scout, and I do generally trust you more when it comes to these kinds of picks, as you would have more insight that I ever would (and more time looking at these players).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

The NCAA is going international.

From a draft point of view, is that a positive?
In the SHL, he'd play twice as many games against professional men, plus a possible PO run, and would be available to come over when he shows he's ready.
In college, you have to convince him to go pro.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Benson or Bust

He is also a funny guy and could be the face of the Flyers plus a talker.

TK to the opposing goalie…hey better keep the glove up or I’ll put it top shelf

Benson…hey better keep the glove lower or I’ll put I in between your glove and your body..

TK to Benny.. let’s switch it up..laugh and high five it….

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Zach benson weighs 163 pounds. Idk if i want to go through 4 years of the "he just has to bulk up" bullshit.

Michkov and benson....maybe even smith...theyre just not the kinda players the flyers know how to handle. It sucks, but thats just the way it is.

Leornard seems best case in that hes good and theyll actually let him blosom into his potential.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Zach benson weighs 163 pounds. Idk if i want to go through 4 years of the "he just has to bulk up" bullshit.

Michkov and benson....maybe even smith...theyre just not the kinda players the flyers know how to handle. It sucks, but thats just the way it is.

Leornard seems best case in that hes good and theyll actually let him blosom into his potential.
Torts has had players like Michkov and Benson, St Louis, Atkinson, etc.
He's probably prefer Benson b/c he'd be easier to coach, but Michkov after 3 seasons in the KHL will probably improve his fundamentals.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Lets say Mitchkov falls to us.

Are you taking him?
Yeah I think even with the risk you do it because of the potential reward. I'm convinced if he is drafted here he's never playing here but if he goes elsewhere he will be a star, just out of Flyers shitty luck, but you gotta take that home run swing.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yeah I think even with the risk you do it because of the potential reward. I'm convinced if he is drafted here he's never playing here but if he goes elsewhere he will be a star, just out of Flyers shitty luck, but you gotta take that home run swing.
The one thing in the Flyers favor is they're committed to a 3-5 year rebuild, so him spending 3 years in the KHL isn't a deal killer - if he came over in 2026-27 he'd step right into the top 6. Meanwhile, they'd be auditioning a number of other young forwards, so he'd step into a pretty deep team and be the finishing touch.

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
the rumor about Michkov trying sabotage his draft value with all of the teams before Washington is pretty interesting. Given how all of us are hearing it I'd hope our management can see through that. Hell, Briere has how many young guys under the age of 50 around him who were all skilled players? And Hilferty seems to be pretty open minded also.

I just don't see how San Jose passes on Smith, and then MTL who reportedly weights interviews pretty heavily are probably going to hate their interview with Michkov if the rumor is true

Probably the worst scenario is you draft him and he refuses to play. Then at least 2 other teams will have to outbid each other to get him from you. There are other teams besides Washington with talented russian players yeah? You'll get a very nice return

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He probably doesn’t have to really try. His contract making him an automatic write off for at least three years is gonna scare some GM’s away. When you’re talking top ten picks we’re essentially at a point where the expectation is that the player should be competing for a roster spot within a year or so otherwise something may have gone wrong. Some GM’s mindsets might be “I’m might not even be at my current job in three years”. You also have a stagnate cap at play for a few more years at play too. So now more than ever teams need cheap talent to start hitting their NHL roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad