Official 2023 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Unless a defender has #1 potential, they shouldnt go Top 10. We just lived through 7 years of Provorov floundering in that role because they forced it on him due to draft status. I..nay..we cant do this again.
I agree with the correlation between Provorov and having Reinbacher as the 7th pick.

Many mistakes could be made all over again as the rebuilt developmental staff and current coaching staff would need to be on the same page.

Perhaps a defender like Wallander or Bonk would be available at the #22 spot Flyers could use another RHD with top 4 potential.

Attard Grans and Samson are the other RD in the Flyers system.

Reactions: Rebels57

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
If he's played center, it's been very sparingly. I didn't catch a game with him there. There's no way he projects as a center to me.

But Josi and Seider are nothing alike; cynical me says those are just the two best defensemen who also speak German and/or played in the NL.

I am very skeptical that in 5 years Reinbacher will be looked at as the best defender in the draft. I think a few could surpass him, without being pie in the sky, and that's absolutely worrisome for a top 5-7 pick. He's just not dynamic; I don't see a real PP difference maker; his skating feels all-around on the flatter side to me. To me, he looks like a solid 2nd pair upside guy. He is quite good defensively, and he clears my competent puck work bar. He's got good men's league production (on paper); he has good size; he's one of the oldest prospects in the class. It's the all-around safe package that GMs can overvalue, especially given the lack of top end defenders this class.

I've watched Willander and Reinbacher (same hand, size, etc.), and I'm not even sold on Reinbacher being the better player long-term. Maybe his profile is safer, but I don't give him the edge in skill or mobility. One of those players might be there at 22.
Exactly. Grab a top forward at 7, and if you want D at 22, a guy like Willander will probably still be on the board.

Personally, I’d be happy with 2 forwards in the first, just go BPA.

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
If he's played center, it's been very sparingly. I didn't catch a game with him there. There's no way he projects as a center to me.

But Josi and Seider are nothing alike; cynical me says those are just the two best defensemen who also speak German and/or played in the NL.

I am very skeptical that in 5 years Reinbacher will be looked at as the best defender in the draft. I think a few could surpass him, without being pie in the sky, and that's absolutely worrisome for a top 5-7 pick. He's just not dynamic; I don't see a real PP difference maker; his skating feels all-around on the flatter side to me. To me, he looks like a solid 2nd pair upside guy. He is quite good defensively, and he clears my competent puck work bar. He's got good men's league production (on paper); he has good size; he's one of the oldest prospects in the class. It's the all-around safe package that GMs can overvalue, especially given the lack of top end defenders this class.

I've watched Willander and Reinbacher (same hand, size, etc.), and I'm not even sold on Reinbacher being the better player long-term. Maybe his profile is safer, but I don't give him the edge in skill or mobility. One of those players might be there at 22.
He's played it very minimal, but I agree I don't think he's suited for center

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
I wonder how Michkov would be received in Philly if he was drafted. I would hope people don’t equate individuals with their government but who knows these days. In the suburbs where I live, you can’t walk a block without passing an Ukrainian. I also fear there would be a lot of pressure on him

Reactions: FlyerNutter

scumpup

Nov 29, 2021
I wonder how Michkov would be received in Philly if he was drafted. I would hope people don’t equate individuals with their government but who knows these days. In the suburbs where I live, you can’t walk a block without passing an Ukrainian. I also fear there would be a lot of pressure on him
i would run through the streets naked with a flyers flag and his michkov's face taped on it. Would give me a reason to give a shit about this garbage franchise.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I’d love some svk blood but no thanks to Dvorsky. Dude is talented but a shit skater, and kind of a floater to go along with it.

I still dream of someone in that FO growing a brain, and finding a way to move up for Michkov. Need a true star, not being shocked when most years Jeff Carter or Richards can’t outduel Crosby. Bullshit strategy that only worked when they were loaded up for one season.

Also. Home ownership has impacted the scotch budget. What are your thoughts on Highland Park or Bowmore? Typically settled in to an Isla guy but they are pricey.

Bowmore 18 has become one of my favorites. Lagavulin 16 and Japanese whiskeys are all there too.

Buffalo Trace is similar to some scotch and whisky I like and is way cheaper if you can find it.

But try Bowmore 18

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Bowmore 18 has become one of my favorites. Lagavulin 16 and Japanese whiskeys are all there too.

Buffalo Trace is similar to some scotch and whisky I like and is way cheaper if you can find it.

But try Bowmore 18

Thanks man! I’ve tried some bowmore it’s decent stuff!

Thanks for the buffalo trace suggestion.

There is a Lagavulin cask strength that’s badass.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
Wouldn’t he be the best prospect the Flyers had since Lindros? They better be ecstatic. There is no way he drops to 7 though unless the Russia stuff really scares teams but that upside is so worth it

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
With pick 22 I’m hoping there is either a run on forwards beforehand so we get one of the top defensive prospects in the draft, or a run on defensemen so some forwards drop to 22. Either way I’d swing for the fences with pick 22

Reactions: Larry44

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don’t think they get much in the way of ratings for the second day of the draft, even on a Saturday. It’s more about maximizing the focus on the 1st round

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
A couple of the so called experts up here in Canada. TSN and Sportsnet have Leonard ranked fifth now so he may not be available with the seventh pick
Yeah prospects are gonna fluctuate up and down leading to the draft, so I guess we will see, I also heard mtl is trying hard to trade up to get fantilli

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I’ve never seen this guy before, but intriguing. Don’t know what the model is

All year Ive been reading hes the best D in the draft...but prob ceiling is prob a solid second pair D.

The past week, ive seen nothing but hype about him. People saying hes this overloomed gem. Why the sudden change in narrative?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The change in the draft day I think has more to do with the calendar. If the finals went 7 games, the draft would’ve only been 4 days after if it stayed on the weekend, plus they want to get the awards in. July 1 is a Saturday this year, having the draft, day 1 or 2, the day before doesn’t work either.

The league wants to finish the same time or after the NBA, I think what they really need to do is move UFA day back to July 8 or 9, and I think they do want to do that but the players don’t. Going to make it real tough to do an expansion draft.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
With the draft so close to UFA day, teams will know who is available in FA going into the draft (i.e. who wasn't resigned).
That could result in a draft day trade flurry as PO contenders compare trade candidates to FAs they can afford to sign.

Reactions: Kelmitchell2

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I’ve never seen this guy before, but intriguing. Don’t know what the model is

No one likes a production model more than me, but these tend to both underrate and overate European production since those leagues are historically tough to score in for young players. And depending on the model, it can tend to weight leagues more heavily than they should be since the European landscape has changed quite a bit over the last decade and a half depending on what is going on with the KHL.

Usage is king and Reinbacher played over 20 minutes a game for a mid-table club and to his credit produced quite well in that role. The difference is guys like Josi and Seider played for the best teams in their leagues during their draft years (Heiskanen played on the 3rd place team and a prestigious club at that) and therefore did not get the same usage. Reinbacher's D-1 production is good but not really much of the outlier you'd like to see from a “non-traditional” hockey league. He slightly edges out a guy like Zanetti, who was not even a good OHL producer. Reinbacher is also one of the oldest players in the class where Josi, Seider, and Hesikanen were in the younger half (Josi and Hesikanen were really young).

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
We’ve been burned so many times in the last decade taking defensemen high. Unless we’ve got a top 5 pick with a potential #1 Hedman/Makar type on the board, I want no part of it. Reinbacher could just be another Provorov. Remember how hyped he was at the draft? He didn’t move the needle at all. You can’t build around players like that.
Provorov was the guy people wanted on this board the day of the draft that year. It was the right pick at the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad