Slightly OT: Has Hockey become a niche sport in the GTA?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Please excuse my ignorance as a Southerner but my instagram algorithm has been serving me up these man on the street interviews from the GTA featuring the “yutes” . While it is apparent the “yutes” have co-opted American urban vernacular and slang , they all seem to be basketball fans. Lots of mentions of basketball and mma but not hockey.

After adopting a curiosity to this content I was surprised to see that despite the content creators being from rich hockey heartlands like Mississauga, Brampton, Kitchener, etc there is no mention of hockey or hockey culture im these videos

We are led to believe by the media and the vocal Canadian fanbase on the internet that hockey is Canada’s game, but it seems apparent based on rapidly changing demographics that its no longer the case?

Your thoughts?

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
What is sampling bias? Sampling bias occurs when some members of a population are systematically more likely to be selected in a sample than others. Why is sampling bias important? Sampling bias is a threat to external validity – it limits the generalizability of your findings to a broader group of people.

One random content creator fed to you by an algorithm is an example of this. It seems some folks are really cheering for what you are suggesting to be reality in the same way some folks cheered for the failure of sunbelt teams. Both are cringe.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Hockey is 100% less popular thej it was in 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s in the GTA

Super expensive, very time consuming to participate for parents, and immigration + demographic changes have resulted in more GTA citizens looking at NBA, MLS/Euro Soccer/Cricket for sporting thrills and consumption

TML is a massive brand, and they eont ever die out (barring NHL going defunct), however hockey has is not as far ahead from basketball/baseball or other sports as it was during the 70s-00s

Reactions: ERYX and BLNY

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Unless the food banks in the GTA start handing out hockey equipment, the sport is going to continue to be in decline here. Shit's too expensive.

It’s not just that, kids are into different things now. Do you see any hockey nets in people’s driveways in Toronto anymore? No. 20-24 years ago, I was a kid and used to play street hockey with neighbouring kids and friends. You don’t see kids do that anymore. It’s a real shame.

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
seinfeld-lloyd-braun.gif

Reactions: Fatass
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad