Official 2023 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
People trying to find Michkov, well, I found him.

1687034065538.png

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
I’ve been saying it for a while now
And got hate from specific posters on here for it but people are going to be surprised how low Moore goes compared to where they expect. He’s not going in the 6-10 range like people think.

He just doesn’t have the vision or offensive IQ to match his elite skating. Think he’ll be a really good middle 6 forward though and I’d think about trading up from 22 if he’s still there around 17 or 18.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Dvorsky and Reinbacher are probably the 2 most overrated players in this draft.

And now I’m sure we’ll take one of them at 7.

kill me
Dvorsky overrated maybe, but Reinbacher had a good season with Kloten in the NL.

Reinbacher is the big reach all around type of defender but should be used more as a defensive defender in North America due to the fact that he’s better defensively then he is offensively.

He could be used in the wrong manner if the player development department doesn’t convey Reinbacher’s game to the coaching staff.

I wouldn’t mind if the Flyers took David at #7 if he is still on the board. It’s been said he could come over to an AHL team but another year of development in the NL might be the best option for Reinbacher’s development.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I’ve been saying it for a while now
And got hate from specific posters on here for it but people are going to be surprised how low Moore goes compared to where they expect. He’s not going in the 6-10 range like people think.

He just doesn’t have the vision or offensive IQ to match his elite skating. Think he’ll be a really good middle 6 forward though and I’d think about trading up from 22 if he’s still there around 17 or 18.

I find teams don’t take advantage of guys like Moore well enough. A stallion like him needs another good skater to run with or he’s far too easily isolated.

It’s no secret, right or wrong - that skating is one of my biggest things I consider when analyzing potential draftable kids. Not that I spend a lot of time doing it, but when a little downtime allows… meh it’s something to do.

Anyway, TK is a good example - I know he had some success with Coots, and Hayes but I find putting players with such elite legs with hippos just limits their overall effectiveness. They need to slow their game down or become a predictable threat to defend.

Someone like Moore I think would be a very solid asset if surrounded by another quality player. Elite Skating allows imo an easier chance for recovery, and attacking. Especially if the hockey iq part of a player is lower.

It’s cool if others disagree, but I’ve gripes about this forever. This team imo undervalues skating in its scouting ranks. Matvei is someone I’d love first, but Moore would be my 7. I’m not one to draft for need, but transition heroes is something this team needs above anyone else. I firmly believe thats a quality they do need to prioritize in their searches.

Dvorsky is a trash skater from my viewings, and would be so on brand for them to select someone like that.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Meh. Lot's of fast, mediocre players. Putting two fast mediocre players together makes for a good energy line.

The most important part of skating isn't straight line speed but edge work and body control (and eye to hand coordination/puck handling), fast straight line guys can be neutralized by defenders taking the right angles - but a shifty guy can get around a defender in position.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Dvorsky overrated maybe, but Reinbacher had a good season with Kloten in the NL.

Reinbacher is the big reach all around type of defender but should be used more as a defensive defender in North America due to the fact that he’s better defensively then he is offensively.

He could be used in the wrong manner if the player development department doesn’t convey Reinbacher’s game to the coaching staff.

I wouldn’t mind if the Flyers took David at #7 if he is still on the board. It’s been said he could come over to an AHL team but another year of development in the NL might be the best option for Reinbacher’s development.
Defensive Dmen should not go top 7 in any draft.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Defensive Dmen should not go top 7 in any draft.
Reinbacher is being classified as an all around defender that is drawing comparisons to Roman Josi and Moritz Seider if he could become that type of NHL defender remains to be seen as I don’t believe the offensive ability is there for Reinbacher to become a Josi.

Reinbacher does have the ability to become better defensively then Seider but nothing is for certain until a drafted player actually makes the NHL as a full time roster player.

Jones and Briere have stated they want to build from a strong defense outward so it could indicate that they might be planning on going heavy with defensive draft picks but it’s still anyone’s guess.

Just about everyone that is running the Flyers front office were former forwards so drafting a defenseman with the #7 pick seems like a long shot depending on who’s available.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
We’ve been burned so many times in the last decade taking defensemen high. Unless we’ve got a top 5 pick with a potential #1 Hedman/Makar type on the board, I want no part of it. Reinbacher could just be another Provorov. Remember how hyped he was at the draft? He didn’t move the needle at all. You can’t build around players like that.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
I find teams don’t take advantage of guys like Moore well enough. A stallion like him needs another good skater to run with or he’s far too easily isolated.

It’s no secret, right or wrong - that skating is one of my biggest things I consider when analyzing potential draftable kids. Not that I spend a lot of time doing it, but when a little downtime allows… meh it’s something to do.

Anyway, TK is a good example - I know he had some success with Coots, and Hayes but I find putting players with such elite legs with hippos just limits their overall effectiveness. They need to slow their game down or become a predictable threat to defend.

Someone like Moore I think would be a very solid asset if surrounded by another quality player. Elite Skating allows imo an easier chance for recovery, and attacking. Especially if the hockey iq part of a player is lower.

It’s cool if others disagree, but I’ve gripes about this forever. This team imo undervalues skating in its scouting ranks. Matvei is someone I’d love first, but Moore would be my 7. I’m not one to draft for need, but transition heroes is something this team needs above anyone else. I firmly believe thats a quality they do need to prioritize in their searches.

Dvorsky is a trash skater from my viewings, and would be so on brand for them to select someone like that.
Completely fair for you to have those opinions. back near Christmas time and into the new year I had Moore in the top 8 range too but each of the next 5 or 6 viewings and I disappointed with his lack of overall offensive awareness and in more than one circumstance tunnel vision.

I thought that may improve with better line-mates in Eiserman and Hagens but it really didn’t. I think I have Moore currently ranked 16 Which may seem like i hate the prospect but I think that’s more an Indictment Of how good the rest of the draft class is.

in terms of Dvorsky, I currently currently have him ranked 9. This sounds like a bad thing but he’s the definition of man of many traits but master of none. Very good skill, high work ethic, good shot but I agree an average to below average skater. I pushed him up my rankings because his skating has improved over the course of the year where it’s atleast average now. Take a look at this video package where his skill and improvement in skating are evident.

Cant wait for the draft!

Dvorsky is not a trash skater. Watch his 2023 U20 WJC. He’s objectively a good skater
Agreed his skating is better than what it was at the beginning of the year.

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Completely fair for you to have those opinions. back near Christmas time and into the new year I had Moore in the top 8 range too but each of the next 5 or 6 viewings and I disappointed with his lack of overall offensive awareness and in more than one circumstance tunnel vision.

I thought that may improve with better line-mates in Eiserman and Hagens but it really didn’t. I think I have Moore currently ranked 16 Which may seem like i hate the prospect but I think that’s more an Indictment Of how good the rest of the draft class is.

in terms of Dvorsky, I currently currently have him ranked 9. This sounds like a bad thing but he’s the definition of man of many traits but master of none. Very good skill, high work ethic, good shot but I agree an average to below average skater. I pushed him up my rankings because his skating has improved over the course of the year where it’s atleast average now. Take a look at this video package where his skill and improvement in skating are evident.

Cant wait for the draft!

Agreed his skating is better than what it was at the beginning of the year.

Appreciate the thoughts. It’s the fun part of this, even though I’ll never be that into it. A lot of valid arguments/preferences to go either way.

Nice Dvorsky videos for sure.

Reactions: Nabrules

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I know everyone has their favorites and “do not want”’s but I just hope if the Flyers draft someone’s “do not want”, posters will still root for them and not want them to fail to be proven right

Nicely said.

I miss them being fun again. I have such strong doubts about this arrangement of hockey ops guys but there were years when being a fan was such a blast.

I miss that. If they can find a way to be skilled while a little nasty at the same time. I’m down

Reactions: BiggE

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
I set up a clip of Dvorsky skating from a larger 30 min scouting video. Yes, it’s Recrutes and I mostly ignore everything he says. Like I said earlier I was a big anti Dvorsky person before and I recently warmed up to him. But he does look good in these clips. They showcase the great play driving details of his game, but also that he has a bit of perimeter style

Reactions: Nabrules

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
You know, a certain player who was maybe 5’10” and weighed only 175 lbs who not particularly fast once got drafted by the Flyers. The dude never gave up on a play, thought 2-3 plays ahead, had a decent shot, but was a tremendous passer, forechecked like a madman, wasn’t afraid to stand in front of the net, and back-checked like there was no tomorrow. Hopefully we can find one like him in this draft……

Forgot elite face off winner and hacked the crap out of anyone.
wonder whether he would be top 5 these days?
Sounds like Benson

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
I am hoping for Benson or Leonard at 7 assuming Carlsson, Fantilli, Bedard of course, and Smith are gone. I can live with Dvorsky, but have him well below Benson and Leonard. I like Moore, but I really like Danielson over Moore and Dvorsky. Danielson is a very good skater, one of the best skaters in the draft ( not Moore’s level, Moore is the best skater) . He is also very skilled, has good size, good hockey sense and a decent compete level (although some scouts disagree with the last statement. If we can get one of Benson or Leonard and then get Danielson in a traded for 10-12 pick, that would be sweet.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
In the 4-7 rounds I’d go for a big tough defender with a high compete level who can skate well enough. A guy like Quinton Burns or Brady Cleveland would be good in the 4th. I am a little gun shy of high school kids because of JOB, but Liam Hupke has potential as a late round flyer

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Leonard can also play center as well

If he's played center, it's been very sparingly. I didn't catch a game with him there. There's no way he projects as a center to me.

Reinbacher is being classified as an all around defender that is drawing comparisons to Roman Josi and Moritz Seider

But Josi and Seider are nothing alike; cynical me says those are just the two best defensemen who also speak German and/or played in the NL.

I am very skeptical that in 5 years Reinbacher will be looked at as the best defender in the draft. I think a few could surpass him, without being pie in the sky, and that's absolutely worrisome for a top 5-7 pick. He's just not dynamic; I don't see a real PP difference maker; his skating feels all-around on the flatter side to me. To me, he looks like a solid 2nd pair upside guy. He is quite good defensively, and he clears my competent puck work bar. He's got good men's league production (on paper); he has good size; he's one of the oldest prospects in the class. It's the all-around safe package that GMs can overvalue, especially given the lack of top end defenders this class.

I've watched Willander and Reinbacher (same hand, size, etc.), and I'm not even sold on Reinbacher being the better player long-term. Maybe his profile is safer, but I don't give him the edge in skill or mobility. One of those players might be there at 22.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad