Official 2023 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
7: Zach Benson
22: Mikhail Gulyayev
71: Roman Kantserov
87: Tristan Bertucci
103: Yegor Klimovich
120: Damian Clara
135: Alexander Suvorov
167: Oskar Asplund
172: Isac Hedqvist
199: Simone Terraneo/Maxim Fedotov/Bogdan Konyushkov

Now half those guys will be gone by those slots... and no chance the Flyers only select 2x North American based prospects! But some names to watch out for in my eyes in rough slots.
curious to know what you think about Cristall and Ritchie if they happen to be there at 22?

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
He probably doesn’t have to really try. His contract making him an automatic write off for at least three years is gonna scare some GM’s away. When you’re talking top ten picks we’re essentially at a point where the expectation is that the player should be competing for a roster spot within a year or so otherwise something may have gone wrong. Some GM’s mindsets might be “I’m might not even be at my current job in three years”. You also have a stagnate cap at play for a few more years at play too. So now more than ever teams need cheap talent to start hitting their NHL roster.
all true. Briere is on record telling Jason Myrtetus that the 3 year contract is isn't a concern "at all". Of course something else may be more of a concern but to Briere the waiting is fine. We know that

Briere also fully expects to be here when Michkov would start playing

dgaspari

Feb 13, 2008
hope is not a management tool, technique, or policy to build an organization.
drafting Michkov and HOPING in 3 years he will come and play in Phila., is not something that the Flyers should consider with the 7th selection,

Briere should inform the Caps that if the Russian falls to the Flyers, they will pass on him for consideration. since Michkov is a generational talent, the price will be high:
a second-round pick in 23. an unprotected 1st found in 24, a third-round pick in 24,
and 2 prospects. this is a fair price for a generational talent. (remember Lindros)

if the Caps decline, set up deals with the Blues or Redwings

for some excitement, offer the pick to the Blackhawks. has any team drafted the top 2 picks in the draft? with all the picks and prospects in Chicago. the Blackhawks could restock the Flyers system. AS a bonus the Flyers could throw in Hayes and TDA

Reactions: Wangstar

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
drafting Michkov and HOPING in 3 years he will come and play in Phila., is not something that the Flyers should consider with the 7th selection,

Briere should inform the Caps that if the Russian falls to the Flyers, they will pass on him for consideration. since Michkov is a generational talent, the price will be high:
a second-round pick in 23. an unprotected 1st found in 24, a third-round pick in 24,
and 2 prospects. this is a fair price for a generational talent. (remember Lindros)

for some excitement, offer the pick to the Blackhawks. has any team drafted the top 2 picks in the draft? with all the picks and prospects in Chicago. the Blackhawks could restock the Flyers system. AS a bonus the Flyers could throw in Hayes and TDA

Thought you said hoping was a bad thing?

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
3 Russians might go in the 1st round this year, with another in the top half of the 1st. I understand risk dynamics change from picks #4-7 to #15-25, but I don't really understand the paranoia discussions. Fedotov was a unique situation -- how does it have bearing? It really just comes down to waiting at least 3 years while every other player is either finishing or nearing the end of their ELCs. 3 years could be the majority of a GMs tenure. That's not good management, but it's realistic for some on hot seats. And it's at least plausible to have a guy or two simply ranked above Michkov.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
I would take Cristall depending on who else is there. Great upside if hits. I think Ritchie would be a "solid" pick there but my guess is I would have a few guys on my list higher.
I’d love to draft one of those two at 22, but I’ve a strong feeling they’ll go D there, especially if a forward is taken at 7.

Reactions: Appleyard

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

He's not a generational talent, even if he would come to NA next season, he probably would be the 3rd pick in this draft, maybe the 4th.
You might get a 2nd out of the Caps to switch picks.

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
he should be the 1st OA pick in every recent draft minus 2015, 2016?, and 2023. and in this draft there is a legitimate debate for him being 2nd if he's from NA

Last edited:

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Gulyayev would be my dream at 22 tbh.

I think he has the highest upside of any Dman in this draft.
If Cristall and Ritchie are off the board at 22, I’d be more down for drafting a D. As long as it isn’t some big, lumbering defensive D. Go for highest skill upside available, which Gulyayev definitely has.

Reactions: Appleyard

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
He's not a generational talent, even if he would come to NA next season, he probably would be the 3rd pick in this draft, maybe the 4th.

Depends what you define as generational. He has the potential to be a ~110+ point player in the current scoring climate.

And on talent? He should not go lower than 2nd. But yeh, Caps would not be paying some crazy price to move up for him if there with Flyers.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Depends what you define as generational. He has the potential to be a ~110+ point player in the current scoring climate.

And on talent? He should not go lower than 2nd. But yeh, Caps would not be paying some crazy price to move up for him if there with Flyers.
That's pretty high, 5 players had 110+ points, another 6 had 100-109.

dgaspari

Feb 13, 2008

i am an old man. been watching sports since the 50s and I have seen some weird trades. just this year in NHL the Lightning traded a 1st,2nd,3rd,4th 5th round picks and a player for Tanner Jeannot. Never underestimate the pressure a GM is under and what he will do to protect his job and please an owner!

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg

Apple don’t leave hanging brother.

What you think of Moore? Tried reading some of your websites shit but curious on your thoughts.

He got 1, or 2C in him?

It’s him or Benson for me I don’t think Matvei is making it to us. Want nothing to do with Dvorsky.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
You are the ONLY one to say this…..but ok…

That's he not a generational talent? Well, I don't think he's a generational talent. McDavid is a generational talent. I didn't even realize that's controversial.

Is he a franchise talent? That's how I'd define Matthews, MacKinnon, Hughes, etc. Maybe I'm stricter there, not sure. That seems like an upside tier projection for Bedard -- debate the exact slotting. I lean towards slotting Michkov in the tier below that in upside on draft day. And you run to get that. He could absolutely be the most talented offensive player on a contender. That's enough for me.

But Fantilli just had arguably a better 18 year old season than Eichel. It's really heresy to slot Michkov at 3 or 4? Yearly draft history says healthy skepticism isn't bad.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Apple don’t leave hanging brother.

What you think of Moore? Tried reading some of your websites shit but curious on your thoughts.

He got 1, or 2C in him?

It’s him or Benson for me I don’t think Matvei is making it to us. Want nothing to do with Dvorsky.

Moore is a solid player with really nice tools. But his IQ worries me. Therefore I think more likely he ends up a 2C... unless he moves to wing, then I could see him as a likely 1st liner.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
That's pretty high, 5 players had 110+ points, another 6 had 100-109.

I dont think so given what he has done while being pretty physically immature in the KHL... as well as what he has done at u-18 international level at 16 years old!

He would be the #1 pick in more drafts than not this century based on upside and talent alone.

Now, yeh, "generational" I would only attach to forwards like Jagr, Lindros, Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid over the last ~35 years.

But he could for sure be Kucherov, Matthews, MacKinnon level. In fact if he just develops "normally" from here he will be a star.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
Lol if he is from NA, he is a lot closer to #1 than the 3rd pick

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
This is from Reddit. I don't know the sources not listed:

Here's what we know/what I've seen from what I consider to be reliable sources:

-People within the organization have said they're high on Dvorsky and ASP. I highly doubt they take the later at 7, but Dvorsky is very possible

-At the combine, Flyers reps said they were very high on Leonard and Reinbacher, but of the two it seems like they slightly prefer Reinbacher.

-They like Oliver Moore a ton (Russ Cohen seems to think this is who they're going to take)

-They're one of the 4 teams who are planning on interviewing Michkov in the next week in-person (will also add that Briere has openly stated he doesn't think Michkov will be there at 7, so take that FWIW)

-On their official social media page, their 4 previews were for Benson, Leonard, Reinbacher, and Dvorsky. Specifically, Meltzer (who does the profiles) is beating the drum hard for Leonard.

This isn't like last year where we all knew the 90% most likely chance was Gauthier or Jiricek, there's a real possibility it could be any one of Dvorsky, Michkov, Leonard, Moore, Benson, or Reinbacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad