Prospect Info: [Official]: 2016 Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Which was my original point of hating spending 2nd/3rd rounds picks on players that's upside is to be bottom players. Sorry I really hate this idea of truculence toughness nonsense, if that's the players best quality it means he sucks. These type of players are draftable later, is findable elsewhere, and expendable. If you failed with picking someone with upside that's much more acceptable in my mind. Which is why I approve of Kylington pick, even if he busts, and have never approved of Kanzig.

I agreed with you. It's a waste to invest a top pick for a guy that you can sign as a FA to play on your 4th line...i.e Hathaway, Jooris...etc

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If Smith turned into a Lucic, or even or a poor mans Lucic, that is not a waste of a pick. A regular NHL player, that comes from a 2nd round pick in any capacity is a good thing.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
That's like saying Joe Colbourne is a poor man Ryan Getzlaf

You can argue that's a very poor man

I like how when you drop another players name, that's all people focus on. I said "if" he becomes an NHL regular. Lucic is what, a 50-60pt top 6 player. If Smith becomes a 25-30pt 3rd liner that has comparable size, am I off base in using the term "a poor mans"? If I am, I apologize.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I like how when you drop another players name, that's all people focus on. I said "if" he becomes an NHL regular. Lucic is what, a 50-60pt top 6 player. If Smith becomes a 25-30pt 3rd liner that has comparable size, am I off base in using the term "a poor mans"? If I am, I apologize.

Yeah, I think you could use the term poor man's in that situation.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
If you are drafting in the 2nd/3rd your not in an area where you can say you're getting a guaranteed NHLer, so you draft this bottom upside player who is no more guaranteed of NHL as a boom or bust. Saying you drafted this guy in the 2nd because they are a guaranteed 3rd/4th liner is just shortsighted because they aren't guaranteed as anyone else - most 3rd/4th liners were great junior players.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

I'll be happy if Hunter Smith plays twenty-five NHL games in his pro career.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Todays gdt should just be all the rich mans versions of our players

Kane - Toews - Couturier
Clutterbuck - Backstrom - Krejci
Thorton - Gilmour - Marchand

Quite the top 9.

Doughty - Burns
Keith

Nice top 3 D too.

Not sure what a Rich man's Bollig, Stajan, Engelland, Jokipakka or Nakladal are. I mean. A warm body or a pylon attached a remote car might be better than a few of them.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
The fact that Ferland doubled Smith's production in their respective 19 year old seasons is enough to make it more optimistic for someone to compare Smith to Lucic.
Not really, Smith is the definition of a late bloomer he reached the OHL a year later than Ferland did; not to mention Ferland leached of Mark Stone and Smith played on the shutdown line. The biggest differences between Smith and Ferland is unlike Smith, Ferland is useless when he is not he's not hitting people and Smith has a much more consistent compete level.

Master Bill

Rest in peace, Johnny Hockey
Nov 9, 2014
Not really, Smith is the definition of a late bloomer he reached the OHL a year later than Ferland did; not to mention Ferland leached of Mark Stone and Smith played on the shutdown line. The biggest differences between Smith and Ferland is unlike Smith, Ferland is useless when he is not he's not hitting people and Smith has a much more consistent compete level.

That is just so untrue. "Useless" is really undeserving and Ferland has always displayed offensive potential but just has not been able to do it consistently. That's much easier to overcome than not having that potential at all.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
That is just so untrue. "Useless" is really undeserving and Ferland has always displayed offensive potential but just has not been able to do it consistently. That's much easier to overcome than not having that potential at all.
Ferland does nothing away from the puck if he's not throwing his body around, he is below average defensively and a liability on the ice. He's god awful for long stretches.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010

Agreed. You see it sometimes in games when he gets a head of steam and drives the net or makes a good play. Has a pretty good shot too. Just needs to consistently push the play in the offensive zone other then just forechecking.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Agreed. You see it sometimes in games when he gets a head of steam and drives the net or makes a good play. Has a pretty good shot too. Just needs to consistently push the play in the offensive zone other then just forechecking.

Hold on. Kid trying to find his spot in this league?

Bust.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Maybe you guys haven't noticed but when he is playing well offensively, it all stems from his physical play. So I stand by what I said, when he is not playing his game he is useless and that happens more often than not.

Master Bill

Rest in peace, Johnny Hockey
Nov 9, 2014
Ferland does nothing away from the puck if he's not throwing his body around, he is below average defensively and a liability on the ice. He's god awful for long stretches.

I agree with that, but that's not something he won't overcome.

What I'd like to see more from him is initiating a play or a hit that gets him into the game. During his cold stretches he seems too passive when someone his size, speed and hands really shouldn't be that passive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad