Prospect Info: [Official]: 2016 Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Anyone else starting to warm up to Alex Nylander if we miss out on a Finn? I admit to not having been too impressed by what I've seen of Alex, but Craig Button said that Alex is even better than William, and then William goes and does this Zetterberg-esque move and I dunno, maybe we're selling Alex short. Any real thoughts on him other than "he's not big"?

I'm a big fan and would be happy with him, he's smart, a good passer and has a great shot he needs to improve defensively but the tools are there.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Anyone else starting to warm up to Alex Nylander if we miss out on a Finn? I admit to not having been too impressed by what I've seen of Alex, but Craig Button said that Alex is even better than William, and then William goes and does this Zetterberg-esque move and I dunno, maybe we're selling Alex short. Any real thoughts on him other than "he's not big"?

He is better than Willie in his draft year. No doubt. He's a player that's very dangerous with space. With Gaudreau and Monahan he would have heaps of space.
While I think we could use Tkachuk and Dubois more, Nylander could easily be the best of the three.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
The same guys have been discussed to death, I'm going to wait until we know where we draft before giving it anymore thought.

What's more interesting is what we end up doing with the three second rounders.

YourAverageFan*

Jan 19, 2016
The same guys have been discussed to death, I'm going to wait until we know where we draft before giving it anymore thought.

What's more interesting is what we end up doing with the three second rounders.

Don't forget if Dallas makes it to the Western Conference Final, we'll have two firsts and two seconds

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Don't forget if Dallas makes it to the Western Conference Final, we'll have two firsts and two seconds

True. I was hoping for awhile that Howden would fall to the 2nd rnd, but he's having a great playoff for MooseJaw right now. He'll be a first rounder.
Benson & Raddysh are a couple others I'd love to see there with our second pick.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
At the beginning of the year Benson was pegged as a possible top 10 pick, but you're right he's fallen with an injury filled year. Fingers crossed he could still be available.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
im guessing most of those second round picks are going to be used on trades.

If the season finishes right now we are most likely picking at 7. Even though Nylander isn't the big winger I'd like it would be hard to pass on him if he is there. I wonder if we try to move up from 7 to get a bigger winger.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Russell also needs to dress in half of the Stars playoff games. And seeing as how he's currently injured and wearing a boot, it's not looking great.

Probably moot since the Stars likely wouldn't get past the Hawks anyway.

im guessing most of those second round picks are going to be used on trades.

Don't see another Hamilton like deal this year. More likely that deals like that happen the following year when the expansion draft is more pressing.

Could easily see the Flames keeping and making all three second round picks. Or maybe using some of them to trade up.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Russell also needs to dress in half of the Stars playoff games. And seeing as how he's currently injured and wearing a boot, it's not looking great.

Probably moot since the Stars likely wouldn't get past the Hawks anyway.

I think the Hawks are going all the way again but

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009

I like Alex as the #5 this year, Calgary born player is a plus.

Matthews

Puljujärvi
Laine

DuBois

Nylander

and then I seriously start looking at the top 3 Dmen v Tkachuk and probably go with Chychrun then Tkachuk

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Nylander has 13 points in 6 games against Barrie.
Tkachuk has 8 goals and 12 points in 6 games.
Dubois has 2 points in 4 games according to hockey DB.

Maybe it's not out of the realm of possibility that Dubois is there at 6. And if he's not, oh well. I'm still very happy with Tkachuk and Nylander. The bloodlines alone are exciting.

moon*

Drafting Nylander and keeping Harltey as coach is a nightmare offseason for me (I guess overpaying for a UFA guy like Lucic or Backes would be the 3rd part of a horrible trifecta).

I doubt they fire Hartley so now I am left hoping for no Nylander. He seems to be the opposite of what this team needs and the biggest bust guy of all of the top rated players.

With so many top level guys or guys that fill a need I don't see any reason to draft Nylander with our pick. Maybe if we fall hard in the lottery and are looking at a double digit draft spot I would consider him.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I don't know anything about any of the prospects. I just want a player I've actually heard of before the draft.

Demetric

Jun 19, 2013
Under a Rock
Drafting Nylander and keeping Harltey as coach is a nightmare offseason for me (I guess overpaying for a UFA guy like Lucic or Backes would be the 3rd part of a horrible trifecta).

I doubt they fire Hartley so now I am left hoping for no Nylander. He seems to be the opposite of what this team needs and the biggest bust guy of all of the top rated players.

With so many top level guys or guys that fill a need I don't see any reason to draft Nylander with our pick. Maybe if we fall hard in the lottery and are looking at a double digit draft spot I would consider him.

How so, could you elaborate please?

Last edited:

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Flames fans, if you want to get a look at some good draft eligible guys (Nylander, Mcleod with our first, Bastian, Day with our seconds) and Mangiapane and Andersson, they're all playing in a Game 7 on Tuesday right before the Flames-Kings game. Starts at 5:30 on SN360, then the Flames game starts at 7 on SNW.

Master Bill

Rest in peace, Johnny Hockey
Nov 9, 2014
Flames fans, if you want to get a look at some good draft eligible guys (Nylander, Mcleod with our first, Bastian, Day with our seconds) and Mangiapane and Andersson, they're all playing in a Game 7 on Tuesday right before the Flames-Kings game. Starts at 5:30 on SN360, then the Flames game starts at 7 on SNW.

Thanks for the heads up, will defs be watching that.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
If my math is correct(ish) the odds of picking at #1-3 (23.4% cumulative) are better than picking at #6 (17.5%). Yes I know that's not how probability works, but I'm just combining the chances at the top three for the sake of simplicity.

The odds favour the Flames picking at #7, with a nearly 40% chance.

Worst case scenario and hopefully the longest of shots come in when two or three teams below Calgary win all of the lotteries.

The first significant drop-off in talent happens around #3, I assume. What about that 2nd tier - when does that drop happen?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad