OT: 'Off topic' thoughts

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
Arlington, Medford, Newton, Quincy, Watertown? Which one?
With all due respect, I'd prefer not to answer exactly where. :)
I lived in Allston, and Jamaica Plain (Forest Hills Cemetery) circa 2000. Went to college in Boston. I haven't been back to Boston in 12 years. I sort of miss it now.
Ah, you lived right next to Boston. A lot of stuff connected by the T (that's MBTA for others that might be wondering) has kinda almost merged into a city blob?

The city has gentrified a lot. Construction is constant (AND f***ING ANNOYING GOD DAMNIT) and due to the geography demand always far exceeds supply. For example, Somerville used to be called "Slumerville" in the 70's, now you need to team up with a bunch of other people just to afford rent, which is similar to Toronto in a way.

Basically, because of the universities and medical care here, there will always be demand even though the population trend in America is to the South and West, and due to lack of space there's not a lot of room to expand. Toronto runs out of space at Lake Ontario, we run out of space at the Atlantic Ocean.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Love them all!

Why limit your enjoyment of life?
I'm with you - one of the reasons I absolutely LOVE Canada is that we literally have everything, and southern Ontario is probably one of the best places in the world for 4 defined seasons. And with weeks in between some seasons where you can experience all four in short notice!

Life is short . . . I'm a young hearted 50 now, but in saying that I've come to realise that life is too short to not
1) find the joys (or wonder) in every different kind of weather
2) enjoy food and drink (ie learn to cook what you love and don't buy cheap beer or booze)
3) and goddamnit, enjoy your kids and family, because it goes by too damn fast (mine are currently 12 and 14, as busy and maddening as my youngest is . . . I'm going to miss the constant questions and foolishness in a couple of years, I know it)

Love the heat!
Love the winter!
I Love it all . . .

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
With all due respect, I'd prefer not to answer exactly where. :)

Ah, you lived right next to Boston. A lot of stuff connected by the T (that's MBTA for others that might be wondering) has kinda almost merged into a city blob?

The city has gentrified a lot. Construction is constant (AND f***ING ANNOYING GOD DAMNIT) and due to the geography demand always far exceeds supply. For example, Somerville used to be called "Slumerville" in the 70's, now you need to team up with a bunch of other people just to afford rent, which is similar to Toronto in a way.

Basically, because of the universities and medical care here, there will always be demand even though the population trend in America is to the South and West, and due to lack of space there's not a lot of room to expand. Toronto runs out of space at Lake Ontario, we run out of space at the Atlantic Ocean.
Jamaica Plain, and Allston is Boston.

Anyway I noticed a lot of improvements in the city around the time of the Democratic Convention in 2004. Before there were no street signs, no bus shelters, etc. The "big dig" created a by-pass, but it also made a few improvements with transportation. It was a tricky city to figure out. I swear I had to carry a map around with me for the 1st year I was there.

Do you ever do 10 pin bowling? Aka "real bowling" aka candle pin bowling? I miss that.

So expensive there. If I lived there now I would need room mates for sure.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Went out for birthday dinner tonight, and had a hell of a meal
IMG_1788.jpeg
IMG_1787.jpeg

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
That’s exactly what I choose with my new XBOX. I have all the Star Trek series on Blue Ray, 60s Batman plus other TV series and it’s great as a complete entertainment system.
Xbox great for gaming. Looks great with 120 fps hdmi TV. Problem with blu-ray device is that Dolby vision isn't supported.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Xbox great for gaming. Looks great with 120 fps hdmi TV. Problem with blu-ray device is that Dolby vision isn't supported.
Later this year I’m gonna be upgrading my PS4. The natural choice is to get the 5, cuz of all the games and stuff I have, but I’m pissed that so far, the new Elder Scrolls will be an Xbox exclusive

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Later this year I’m gonna be upgrading my PS4. The natural choice is to get the 5, cuz of all the games and stuff I have, but I’m pissed that so far, the new Elder Scrolls will be an Xbox exclusive
PS5 has the same issue with Dolby Vision.
I'm old so I never moved to Sony. Just kept on with xbox

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Had the floors stained before we moved in and doing my research, I definitely shouldn't be using painters tape to prevent paint splashes on the floor when doing the trim.

I've been reading up and rosin paper has been brought up more than once, has anyone run into this scenario before and what have you done?

I haven't painted in a while and I remember being absolute crap at cutting but I figure if I can do the cutting and get an 18 inch roller to maximize output, the whole thing should go well, just gotta protect the wood floor mostly.

Father is amazing and doesn't really need to lay down much but I am probably gonna end up laying out drop sheets etc all over the floor to prevent mess ups.

Reactions: BallardEra

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Summer Off-topic question:

If you were a Canucks fans and you had an opportunity to erase 1 memory what would you choose and why?

1. Jim Benning Era
2. Post-game 7 (2011 cup final) fan meltdown

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Went to see Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny. I was in the theatres for the first one back in 81 and if this is his last one I wanted to be there too.
Saw it a couple of weeks back, I enjoyed it just as I enjoyed all the rest of them. I thought the back and forth aging trick was pretty neat.

Went to an Imax to see the new Mission Impossible yesterday. Absolutely worth the premium and the time investment it's a bit long, but never runs out of steam. Tom Cruise is some kind of superman, the stunts were crazy, the story wasn't to far-fetched, special effects were state of the art, it might be the best of the bunch.

Reactions: Trapper

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Anyone else watching the Woman’s World Cup opener here for Canada?
Yes. It was rubbish. Nigeria had no business getting a point. Canada doesn't have enough composure to score. Too many wasted opportunities with shitty touches in the 18 yard box.

Last edited:
Reactions: hizzoner

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
Anyone else watching the Woman’s World Cup opener here for Canada?

Not a lot up front that can finish. Beckie is injured and Sinclair is looking a bit past her best before date. Every pass towards goal looked over hit. I thought Leon was their most dangerous player and she got yanked after about 60 minutes. Ah well, regroup and find a way to beat Ireland on Wednesday.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Had the floors stained before we moved in and doing my research, I definitely shouldn't be using painters tape to prevent paint splashes on the floor when doing the trim.

I've been reading up and rosin paper has been brought up more than once, has anyone run into this scenario before and what have you done?

I haven't painted in a while and I remember being absolute crap at cutting but I figure if I can do the cutting and get an 18 inch roller to maximize output, the whole thing should go well, just gotta protect the wood floor mostly.

Father is amazing and doesn't really need to lay down much but I am probably gonna end up laying out drop sheets etc all over the floor to prevent mess ups.
I have drywallers in today. Hope by the end of next week they are done. New staircase coming in a week. Hardwood should come at the same time. Paint is still but a distant dream.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I have drywallers in today. Hope by the end of next week they are done. New staircase coming in a week. Hardwood should come at the same time. Paint is still but a distant dream.
Glad to hear about the staircase. I bet climbing the rope ladder must’ve been tiring. Lol

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I've heard good things about this place:

Over Covid, my friend even bought an extra freezer to store an entire butchered cow. He was eating good for a long time.

I buy a half cow each year from a local farmer. Grass fed, no antibiotics or anything. Comes out to about $6/lb. One nice thing is even with COVID pricing, its cost has stayed low because they don't have the added costs with fuel and such being added into feed and the rest. I shake my head when I see what people are paying in store.

• Love
Reactions: BallardEra

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Last November I went full out with a PS5 and 65" LG G2 OLED.

I was a huge Resident Evil 4 fan and immediately bought the remake for PS5.

Amazing game for sure but I don't play like I did in my younger days.

Recently I've been playing the new Zelda a lot for the Switch.
Screenshot_20230721-150712.png

PXL_20221207_184135164.jpg

Last edited:

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Looking at purchasing a new managed switch for home. Cat6a cable being routed through my house. Saw this one and thought it was pretty good value.
Any network Guru opinions would be most welcomed.
QNAP QSW-M408-4C-US 10GbE Managed Switch, with 4-Port 10GbE SFP+/RJ45 Combo and 8-Port Gigabit https://a.co/d/equpUWY
This is insane and future proofed. What internet speeds do you currently have? I have a buddy on Bell 3.0 Gbps per second up and down. That would be overkill for him.

Bell goes as high as 8.0 Gbps up and down and those GPONs are designed to go as high as 10 Gbps for now.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
Jamaica Plain, and Allston is Boston.

Anyway I noticed a lot of improvements in the city around the time of the Democratic Convention in 2004. Before there were no street signs, no bus shelters, etc. The "big dig" created a by-pass, but it also made a few improvements with transportation. It was a tricky city to figure out. I swear I had to carry a map around with me for the 1st year I was there.

Do you ever do 10 pin bowling? Aka "real bowling" aka candle pin bowling? I miss that.

So expensive there. If I lived there now I would need room mates for sure.
The city makes zero sense to drive in. I am currently posting from Mass General Hospital and getting here and parking here without the T is a goddamn nightmare.

Candlepin bowling is AWESOME. It's hard as shit but it's fun. Most of the time when I'm bowling (haven't done it in a while) I've had a few so I am a fun person to laugh at when doing it.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Anyone see Oppenheimer yet? I’m personally really looking forward to watching it. Heard it’s got a crazy run time of 3 hours though. That’s LotR territory.
These big box office movies love the long run times nowadays. Dune part 1 was 2.5 hours, Avatar has a runtime of 3 hours and 20 mins, The Batman had a runtime of just under 3h.

At least most theaters have updating seating nowadays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad