OT: 'Off topic' thoughts

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
I dont think many people here can actually ever retire the way things are. I will die as a Walmart greeter or a security guard
This. I'm in my early 40s and my net worth is 7 figures. But my kids aren't even in high school yet, the way things are/will be, I don't think I will retire early.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Picked these up at "Serano's Bakery" on Pape avenue as I'll be visiting a friend's family who came from Texas.

Was raised to never go empty handed to a house visit.

PXL_20230715_123547162.jpg
PXL_20230715_122757727.jpg
PXL_20230715_122753385.jpg

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Yeah, reno prices are crazy right now. I’m in the process of finishing my basement
I hear you.
I've done things like driving all the way to Hamilton to get a great deal on maple hardwood just to keep my main floor renovation from spiraling me into destitution. 1 steel hbeam, 6 LVLs, duct reconfig, plumbing, electrical, drywall, kitchen, appliances, lighting, gas insert, Hardwood, curved staircase, built in cabinetry, tiles etc etc etc.
Haven't had a kitchen in 3 months.

Reactions: Sypher04

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Went looking for tile in vaughan last weekend and dropped by this place for a ready made porchetta.
Ending up with some sublime sausages as well, a box of 100 lamb spiedini and a fantastic stainless bbq rack for them to prepare properly.
This place is legendary

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Went looking for tile in vaughan last weekend and dropped by this place for a ready made porchetta.
Ending up with some sublime sausages as well, a box of 100 lamb spiedini and a fantastic stainless bbq rack for them to prepare properly.
This place is legendary
I’ve only made Porchetta once but have been asked many times when we’re doing another one. It’s funny how we remember events in our lives by the food we had.

1689435140756.jpeg

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I dont think many people here can actually ever retire the way things are. I will die as a Walmart greeter or a security guard

Economic prospects are really ugly for many yeah. If you didn’t already have property or sizeable investments pre-covid things are going to be a challenge.

Perhaps nobody has been hit worse than the cohort that graduated into the workforce from 2008-2012 though

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Good on you to realize earlier than most that there's a lot more to life than just making money. At the end of the day it's all about being happy and spending as much time as you can with your loved ones. Whatever makes you happy and content.

A few weeks back I was talking to one of the nicest guys where I work. He was 60, in great health and active. Told me he wasn't fully ready to retire just yet. Next day I got a call from a friend saying he had passed away due to a heart attack. One day I see him and the next he's gone. 36 years at our company.

This is why I plan on retiring within the next few years. I'm 51 right now and would rather go out on my terms.

To each their own though. I never judge as everyone's situation is different. I make it a point to enjoy life and not dwell or stress on the small things that used to rile me up in my younger days.

Trust me, it's not even worth it in the long run.
To each his own is so right. Many people retire, then go back to work later because they're feeling bored, unfulfilled or want to feel like they're needed or whatever else. Others retire and have such a full life doing things they love that they wonder how they ever had time to work before.

Reactions: BallardEra

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
A lot of the kitchens we’ve done lately have been used cabinets that we refinish. As long as you’ve got time to put in some extra work refinishing, you can still get deals imho. Covid has definitely inflated everything ridiculously, at least lumber came back down, somewhat

We debated it but these are about 40 year old cabinets that we have and we're looking for the pull out drawers mostly versus cupboards etc...probably will have to go the newer route but I've got about 5 different recommendations from friends or they have 4.5-5 star reviews on googles with a *lot* of reviews, not just 1-2.

Reactions: Mad hatter

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Materials + cost of doing anything became insane at the time of covid and stayed that way.

Pre-liminary work on checking into doing a new kitchen, mostly needing the cupboards and holy crap the prices.
No kidding. Did a kitchen renovation 3 years ago, new cupboards, backslash, countertops, sink, appliances came in north of 25 grand.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I hear you.
I've done things like driving all the way to Hamilton to get a great deal on maple hardwood just to keep my main floor renovation from spiraling me into destitution. 1 steel hbeam, 6 LVLs, duct reconfig, plumbing, electrical, drywall, kitchen, appliances, lighting, gas insert, Hardwood, curved staircase, built in cabinetry, tiles etc etc etc.
Haven't had a kitchen in 3 months.
BBQ season……enjoy

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
No kidding. Did a kitchen renovation 3 years ago, new cupboards, backslash, countertops, sink, appliances came in north of 25 grand.

Did someone do the tile + backsplash for you? My saving grace might be my dad can do tile, backsplash, plumbing and electrical.

It's mostly just getting the cupboards and quartz counter top, a sink and probably new appliances.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
To each his own is so right. Many people retire, then go back to work later because they're feeling bored, unfulfilled or want to feel like they're needed or whatever else. Others retire and have such a full life doing things they love that they wonder how they ever had time to work before.
I'm almost 50, and I think for the most part this will be the first generation where traditional retirement is unlikely to be an option for most, but not necessarily for financial reasons. I think many of will want to keep doing something, even if it isn't the career we have had for most of our working lives.

To the question of "balance", for some professions it's rare to achieve both balance and success. Unfortunately, in most cases (at least most cases I have seen), success comes with sacrifice, and family and personal life usually bear the brunt of that sacrifice. It was certainly the case for me. I can't count the number of family things I missed because of work. Thank goodness my spouse was in the same profession, so at least she understood even if she didn't like it. But success and balance...that's a tricky combination.

Reactions: BallardEra

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Did someone do the tile + backsplash for you? My saving grace might be my dad can do tile, backsplash, plumbing and electrical.

It's mostly just getting the cupboards and quartz counter top, a sink and probably new appliances.
Yes, also needed a pro for some crown molding. If I did it myself it would look like a Homer Simpson job.

• Haha
Reactions: WTFMAN99

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Luckily we can do most of the work ourselves. Not the electrical though, but we know people. The framing, drywall (have to get a mudder), flooring... that we can do. Install lights, no problem. Basic plumbing isn't an issue either.
One grandfather was a machinist and the other, along with his brother and father, were carpenters. Dad was an electrician. My brother and I learned all this stuff as boys (he's a carpenter now and his son is an electrician). Except for tiling, I can do, and have done, pretty much everything myself.

Last edited:

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
I’ve only made Porchetta once but have been asked many times when we’re doing another one. It’s funny how we remember events in our lives by the food we had.

View attachment 729074
OH FOR f*** SAKES ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME

For the uninitiated, this is not the easiest cut to find and it's expensive when you do, but it's worth it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad