OT: 'Off topic' thoughts

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Did some chicken and ribs the other night.

1689772292278.jpeg

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Looking at purchasing a new managed switch for home. Cat6a cable being routed through my house. Saw this one and thought it was pretty good value.
Any network Guru opinions would be most welcomed.
QNAP QSW-M408-4C-US 10GbE Managed Switch, with 4-Port 10GbE SFP+/RJ45 Combo and 8-Port Gigabit https://a.co/d/equpUWY

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
If this is allowed, I thought it might help pass the time to have a safe haven where the same old Leaf thoughts aren't discussed.

I just placed my meat order for the next few weeks and as a public service I thought I'd share the link.

Woodward only ever sold to high end restaurants but over COVID, started selling by word of mouth to friends of employees.
That took off for them and now anyone can order.
They deliver anywhere in the GTA. Everything is great, really high quality and you won't get better Steaks delivered to your door.
I never freeze red meat but everything comes flashed frozen and once thawed you can't tell the difference.

Let me know if you're curious about a product and I'll let you know if I've had it. (Highly recommend the case of 20 Flat Iron steaks, stupid good)
I've been buying from a farmer out by Renfrew for about 20 years now, corn fed only so the meat is always great. I get eggs and poultry from a neighbour's, and fish I catch myself.

Reactions: slozo and ACC1224

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Semi serious note - anyone else getting totally disillusioned with this city? Constant traffic, insane cost of living? My friends are starting to flee. Another one just tolkd me today that he is moving to (*gag*) Ottawa. Why not though? He can buy a full size standalone house for 400K there, basically becoming mortgage free at 43 years old. I was thinking hard about it. Ottawa? Calgary? States?

PS. If you had to move, how important would it be to you to have an NHL/ AHL/ OHL/ WHL franchise where you go?
I live 40k just west of Ottawa, there are relatively few houses in the 4 range even out here, you can find them but not in any neighbourhood Id live in. As an example in Nepean a 2br 1 bath wartime teardown sitting on a 32 foot lot sold for 600k last year.

Although I don't often drive onto the city anymore, the traffic has been atrocious for at least 20 years(not Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver bad) but bad never the less.

As far as needing to have access to pro or junior sports if I didn't have it I would miss it but it's not a deal breaker. I don't think I'm going to renew my Sens tix this year, expense and mobility issues have sucked the joy out of it for me tbh, I'll still take in the big names when I can, but Minnesota on a Tues night in 30 below Jan won't be happening.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Summer Off Topic New Convo:

I used to dislike summer when I was a kid. As an adult with a family it's not much better.

I understand the attraction for most of you: sun, beach, BBQ, camping, seeing the Leafs at the golf course (kidding), etc. I am not a complete stick in the mud. I do enjoy some of those things too.

As a kid I literally never got to see my neighborhood friends until the last week in August. Mom and Dad packed up their camper, and they were gone to Sauble for weeks. My other close friend's parents caught on and bought a camper too. As a kid I did things too: Wasaga Beach, etc. I just didn't see the love of spending that much time at the beach. Also when you're a kid your perception of time is much different. Summer seemed too long.

Today summers are just as long, but much different issues. The first issue is the weather. Because of global warming there are days in TOR that are insanely hot. I would say in the last 6-7 years there were days where you could not go outside. I remember hot days as a kid, teen, and early adulthood. Never were they this hot.

The other issue is $$$$$$. My wife feels like you have to cover everything before the summer is over: cottage rental, beaches, amusement parks, ice cream, patios, river rafting, etc. You have to literally take out a line of credit for each upcoming summer. My wife (like many) lives vicariously through my son, so anything she's nostalgic for my son must do. "Our poor son. He's only gone to Canada's Wonderland twice this summer. We really need to take him again soon".

If you're a fan of NHL hockey you also know what I'm talking about. After July 1st things really come to a halt. I know if I looked hard enough I could find hockey to watch, but it's not the same.

I'm not a fan of baseball: 2 active players, very little hitting/baserunning/scoring, the best hitters in the league only get on base 30% of the time, 162 game schedule, etc.

Don't get me wrong. There are many things to enjoy in the summer. I am not here to say I enjoy nothing about it. Mostly what I'm saying is it's a little too long, too hot (1 or 2 weeks), and too expensive.

Top 4 favourite seasons:

1. Spring
2. Fall
3. Winter
4. Summer

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
For me,

1. Summer
2. Spring
3. Fall
4. Winter

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
I moved from Toronto to the states way back in 2002 and have visited twice since; 2010 and 2019. The city was almost unrecognizable to me in 2019. So many new condos and like you said, the insane congestion and ridiculous prices.

I thought about moving back from time to time but after my last visit, I realized it’s really not the same place I grew up. I guess I’m just getting older but man the city just seemed so foreign to me.
You're not the only one on this board to live in the Boston area.

I moved here in May of 2010, and shortly thereafter the goddamn Bruins won the Cup. Barf.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
You're not the only one on this board to live in the Boston area.

I moved here in May of 2010, and shortly thereafter the goddamn Bruins won the Cup. Barf.

Oh really?? I actually just moved here last spring so I wasn’t around for that.

I did go to the Leafs game we lost in OT back in April. I think it was something like our third last game of the season and I wore my Leafs jersey despite worrying some Southies might kick my ass lol.

Surprisingly, everyone was very nice and friendly to me. Some lighthearted jabbing but nothing with malice. I can’t wait to go again next season to see a win

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
1. Summer
2. Spring
3. Fall
4. Winter

Used to ski a lot growing up and so back then Winter would be #2. Now im 41. Winter is stuck at 4 and not moving anytime soon. -40' temps are very depressing and make spring and summer feel like its a whole year a way and not months away. I still love skiing as a sport and will watch downhill racing when its on but yeah that cold air just isnt it for me.

Summer all the way baby!! bring on the patio weather and a few cold drinks.

Reactions: ACC1224

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Went to see Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny. I was in the theatres for the first one back in 81 and if this is his last one I wanted to be there too.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
1. Summer
2. Spring
3. Fall
4. Winter

Used to ski a lot growing up and so back then Winter would be #2. Now im 41. Winter is stuck at 4 and not moving anytime soon. -40' temps are very depressing and make spring and summer feel like its a whole year a way and not months away. I still love skiing as a sport and will watch downhill racing when its on but yeah that cold air just isnt it for me.

Had mine in the same order.
I only have Spring over Fall because it leads to Summer but I prefer many things about Fall(Golf, NFL, Hockey starting) over Spring.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Had mine in the same order.
I only have Spring over Fall because it leads to Summer but I prefer many things about Fall(Golf, NFL, Hockey starting) over Spring.
lately im in no rush for hockey. We see it 10 months a year, get a month and change of no hockey and then before you no it BAM! training camp starts up and it seems like thats the focus for sports channels again. At least baseball and NFL get a few more months off before that gets brought up again.

Once we get booted in the playoffs. I couldnt care less how the rest of the playoffs go, by then its +10-15C out maybe more seemed like a lot of 20's this spring and so after 6-7 months of freezing my ass off hockey doesnt exist, ive got my nephews baseball team to help coach its patio season and Jays baseball.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
Oh really?? I actually just moved here last spring so I wasn’t around for that.

I did go to the Leafs game we lost in OT back in April. I think it was something like our third last game of the season and I wore my Leafs jersey despite worrying some Southies might kick my ass lol.

Surprisingly, everyone was very nice and friendly to me. Some lighthearted jabbing but nothing with malice. I can’t wait to go again next season to see a win
I moved from Florida in 2010. Have lived in the Boston suburbs since then. Sometimes I miss FL, sometimes I don't.

I've never lived in a Leafs broadcast region so years ago it was more difficult to watch the team. I used a LOT of sketchy methods. :laugh: I really tuned out after the Core 4 contract snafus and didn't watch a regular season game for years because I couldn't justify spending time on it given my personal situation. Getting back into it more now and I'm kind of twice as pissed off? Sometimes I'm mature and sometimes not.

Reactions: BrannigansLaw

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Anyone see Oppenheimer yet? I’m personally really looking forward to watching it. Heard it’s got a crazy run time of 3 hours though. That’s LotR territory.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
1. Summer
2. Spring
3. Fall
4. Winter

I was 57 the first time I went downhill skiing (new girlfriend, now wife), and at 70 I'm out to BC every year.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I got the disc because I have PS4 games but up to you tbh and if you would want used games or a great blu-ray player along as well.
That’s exactly what I choose with my new XBOX. I have all the Star Trek series on Blue Ray, 60s Batman plus other TV series and it’s great as a complete entertainment system.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I moved from Florida in 2010. Have lived in the Boston suburbs since then. Sometimes I miss FL, sometimes I don't.

I've never lived in a Leafs broadcast region so years ago it was more difficult to watch the team. I used a LOT of sketchy methods. :laugh: I really tuned out after the Core 4 contract snafus and didn't watch a regular season game for years because I couldn't justify spending time on it given my personal situation. Getting back into it more now and I'm kind of twice as pissed off? Sometimes I'm mature and sometimes not.
Arlington, Medford, Newton, Quincy, Watertown? Which one?

I lived in Allston, and Jamaica Plain (Forest Hills Cemetery) circa 2000. Went to college in Boston. I haven't been back to Boston in 12 years. I sort of miss it now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad