OT: 'Off topic' thoughts

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
This is insane and future proofed. What internet speeds do you currently have? I have a buddy on Bell 3.0 Gbps per second up and down. That would be overkill for him.

Bell goes as high as 8.0 Gbps up and down and those GPONs are designed to go as high as 10 Gbps for now.
I don't have that kind of speed but fiber is being layer a few blocks down. I also plan to purchase another NAS server with 10gb per second network card. I host my own cloud with it so I can access things like my media anywhere with a smart phone. If I get any cameras (though I really dont like them), they will store video there.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
I don't have that kind of speed but fiber is being layer a few blocks down. I also plan to purchase another NAS server with 10gb per second network card. I host my own cloud with it so I can access things like my media anywhere with a smart phone. If I get any cameras (though I really dont like them), they will store video there.
It usually takes 3-6 months or so after fiber is trenched or run aerially in neighborhoods before it's provisioned to be installed.

Hopefully your area is also done very soon as well.

What city/town are you in?

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
It usually takes 3-6 months or so after fiber is trenched or run aerially in neighborhoods before it's provisioned to be installed.

Hopefully your area is also done very soon as well.

What city/town are you in?
This could be fun. I am really quite close to where McDavid played AAA for a spell.
Same town that Simmonds lives now. Guess

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Very nice.

My father used to work for Harper Lee Sand & Gravel and as a kid I always remembered Bloomington Side Road.

That explains why fiber took so long to get there for you.
Funny thing about aurora is that the first steam train that left Toronto, went to Aurora, previously known as Machels corners. Only recently has the train service improved.
No idea why Fiber wasn't a big priority. It's not like the people there wouldn't have paid for it.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Funny thing about aurora is that the first steam train that left Toronto, went to Aurora, previously known as Machels corners. Only recently has the train service improved.
No idea why Fiber wasn't a big priority. It's not like the people there wouldn't have paid for it.
Sad to say but it's always marketing driven. The focus was always on 416/905 first and then outwards from there.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Glad to hear about the staircase. I bet climbing the rope ladder must’ve been tiring. Lol
I've been renovating the basement and decided not to replace the stairs. While I'm sanding them to refinish, one tread breaks (they're 100 years old). I think maybe I can just replace the treads, but the bottom two feet of the stringer along the concrete wall is rotten - a bit surprised it held up. Had to rebuilt it from scratch.

IMG_20230722_120150.jpg

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I've been renovating the basement and decided not to replace the stairs. While I'm sanding them to refinish, one tread breaks (they're 100 years old). I think maybe I can just replace the treads, but the bottom two feet of the stringer along the concrete wall is rotten - a bit surprised it held up. Had to rebuilt it from scratch.

View attachment 730549
Very nice

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Yesterday we hit up some Hakka food. Chili chicken dry, Manchurian chow mein noodles with chicken and garlic shrimp dry.View attachment 730657View attachment 730658View attachment 730659

Then we hit up Muddy York Brewery for an "Una Mas" and "Working Hard" NEIPA:

View attachment 730660View attachment 730661
If Hakka is your thing, Chung Moi in Scarborough at Eglinton & Kennedy is an institution.

You have to have the hot and sour soup. Full of cilantro, shrimp, and chicken. Don’t be put off by the cilantro part. I usually hate cilantro but I would eat this soup everyday if I could.

It’s like nothing you’ve ever had before and puts the typical hot & sour soups to shame.

Cheers

Last edited:

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
If Hakka is your thing, Chung Moi in Scarborough at Eglinton & Kennedy is an institution.

You have to have the hot and sour soup. Full of cilantro, shrimp, and chicken. It’s like nothing you’ve ever had before and puts the typical hot & sour soups to shame.

Cheers
Somewhere in Scarborough, they sell Wiri wiri peppers. An old colleague turn me onto this Guyanese pepper many year ago. I even had a plant. One of the richest hot peppers I have ever had and I used it to make seafood pasta as well as curried lamb. I never get that way so a few weeks ago I ordered some seeds on line to try to grow some. Should be here soon. If anyone loves spicy food, I highly recommend you try these if you can find them. They are the size of cherries and 3 or 4 are enough for a sublime meal.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Just snagged a monthly rehearsal spot down at Rehearsal Factory Etobicoke..... Since COVID all but that location shut down and it was impossible to find. So happy won't have to deal with hourly rooms anymore...tho Groove Room was pretty dope.
Anyone else here play? Jam? Hit the electric triangle?

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I've seen some transit posts here and for people in the gta I know it's a hot topic. Wondering what people's thoughts are on what to do.

I use to be closer but I've moved further away. Not super far but I don't have to deal with the crazy highways and transit system like some of you do.

Personally I think one f*** up is making Southern Ontario to car centric. No... I don't ride a bike everyday etc but I don't get why more money can't be put into trains and the bus. Hell even short flights between towns/ cities should be much cheaper.

I've personally worked on the subways being built in the gta too and they should of been doing all of that 20 years before.

It's unfortunate some of the politicians didn't recognize that with growth in a place like Toronto you had to actually plan lol.

I know some or many may not agree but if we all could get around easier without a car ... it'd make things a lot less expensive.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Just snagged a monthly rehearsal spot down at Rehearsal Factory Etobicoke..... Since COVID all but that location shut down and it was impossible to find. So happy won't have to deal with hourly rooms anymore...tho Groove Room was pretty dope.
Anyone else here play? Jam? Hit the electric triangle?
I play a bit of drums - mostly older country and rock. Not as much as before covid, and mainly now with my father-in-law, who's still got one hell of a set of vocal chords.

I used to play regularly at a great open mic on St Clair.

Just before covid hit I was asked if I could occasionally sit in with the Silver River Band, just in time for everything to shut down.

Reactions: Metroid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad