OT: 'Off topic' thoughts

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
There have also been a couple of NHL hockey players that have come through the school as well and also Rob Butler for baseball.
I played with a fella who made the show with the Caps, and a few others, one with the Habs, who had skill sets that clearly showed that I was mediocre, at best. Still, I think I dangled one of them once, that and a buck and a half and a cup of coffee. Gawd, hockey is fun. Hanging with Sittler, Palmateer, Boudreau, and Orr, in the dressing room before we'd hit the ice at Orr and Walton's camp in Orillia...great memories. One time we were going to be playing EYC, rugby. The field, just past the bridge, had been the home of a party the night before. Glass strewn everywhere. We had to walk together to the next park, somewhere near Pape and Mortimer? Terrible way to find out that the fellas you'd hated and wanted to smash were actually decent folk. Who knew?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
My dad always orders his meat from the same place, it's good stuff :D

Haven't been spending a lot of time on the forum this summer, been a really busy one but awesome one for me. Got to watch my brother light it up in the World Lacrosse Championship, now just got home after a short Canadian tour, officially got my first fangirls last night in Ottawa LOL. Now getting in a nice day of rest before flying to California tmo for a string of shows with another artist :) Only sad thing is the amount of summer league games I've had to miss LOL

Hope everyone's having a great summer
Congrats on the shows! As for the fangirls, keep your stick on the ice!

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
I played with a fella who made the show with the Caps, and a few others, one with the Habs, who had skill sets that clearly showed that I was mediocre, at best. Still, I think I dangled one of them once, that and a buck and a half and a cup of coffee. Gawd, hockey is fun. Hanging with Sittler, Palmateer, Boudreau, and Orr, in the dressing room before we'd hit the ice at Orr and Walton's camp in Orillia...great memories. One time we were going to be playing EYC, rugby. The field, just past the bridge, had been the home of a party the night before. Glass strewn everywhere. We had to walk together to the next park, somewhere near Pape and Mortimer? Terrible way to find out that the fellas you'd hated and wanted to smash were actually decent folk. Who knew?

Great times for sure. Pape and Mortimer is like 5 minutes from where I grew up. Went to Chester Publix School, Westwood Junior High and then EYCI.

Centennial College went from Carlaw to Pape between Fulton and Mortimer. That's probably the field you remember. Degreassi Junior High was filmed there during the late 1980s. The field and parking lot where we used to play wall ball was turned into town houses in the early 2000s but the College is still there.

Kings Park Drive in the burger joint used to be across from there and as kids we would walk to it for lunch sometimes.

Great times

Scroll to the bottom after link to see night notable alumni from EYCI:

I'm sure some Leafs fans here remember Chris Kotsopoulos.

Last edited:
Reactions: meefer

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Materials + cost of doing anything became insane at the time of covid and stayed that way.

Pre-liminary work on checking into doing a new kitchen, mostly needing the cupboards and holy crap the prices.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I'm in that part of life where things changed fast. First full year of owning a home and experiencing all the work that goes into that. A new parent of a 6 month old, finally earning some real money and starting to build some wealth and have some fun.

And now as someone who was pretty career focused to this point and who has worked hard to get here, I don't really care about work anymore. I find myself sneaking away (I work from home) to go pick at my pool or get some yard work done. I take a lot of breaks and go interact with my kid a bunch as she is changing a lot and I try to spend time with her.

Older folks can you tell me if this ever goes away? Is it just so much newness in my life that will eventually just be normal and I'll settle back in? Or is it because I am suddenly feeling like "I made it" the hunger to actually make it is gone? If so.. How do I get it back. I am not ready to retire for another 10-15 years. I have a lot of earning potential left if I can apply myself as I always have. But damn if I have no motivation these days and would rather be spending it working on little projects and with my family.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Materials + cost of doing anything became insane at the time of covid and stayed that way.

Pre-liminary work on checking into doing a new kitchen, mostly needing the cupboards and holy crap the prices.

Yeah, reno prices are crazy right now. I’m in the process of finishing my basement

Last edited:
Reactions: WTFMAN99

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

We are redoing the complete basement, on a 3000 sq ft ranch bungalow. Huge amount of work, and the prices are still crazy. It's almost like we need a proper recession to reset things.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
I'm in that part of life where things changed fast. First full year of owning a home and experiencing all the work that goes into that. A new parent of a 6 month old, finally earning some real money and starting to build some wealth and have some fun.

And now as someone who was pretty career focused to this point and who has worked hard to get here, I don't really care about work anymore. I find myself sneaking away (I work from home) to go pick at my pool or get some yard work done. I take a lot of breaks and go interact with my kid a bunch as she is changing a lot and I try to spend time with her.

Older folks can you tell me if this ever goes away? Is it just so much newness in my life that will eventually just be normal and I'll settle back in? Or is it because I am suddenly feeling like "I made it" the hunger to actually make it is gone? If so.. How do I get it back. I am not ready to retire for another 10-15 years. I have a lot of earning potential left if I can apply myself as I always have. But damn if I have no motivation these days and would rather be spending it working on little projects and with my family.

Good on you to realize earlier than most that there's a lot more to life than just making money. At the end of the day it's all about being happy and spending as much time as you can with your loved ones. Whatever makes you happy and content.

A few weeks back I was talking to one of the nicest guys where I work. He was 60, in great health and active. Told me he wasn't fully ready to retire just yet. Next day I got a call from a friend saying he had passed away due to a heart attack. One day I see him and the next he's gone. 36 years at our company.

This is why I plan on retiring within the next few years. I'm 51 right now and would rather go out on my terms.

To each their own though. I never judge as everyone's situation is different. I make it a point to enjoy life and not dwell or stress on the small things that used to rile me up in my younger days.

Trust me, it's not even worth it in the long run.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yeah, Reno prices are crazy right now. I’m in the process of finishing my basement

We are redoing the complete basement, on a 3000 sq ft ranch bungalow. Huge amount of work, and the prices are still crazy. It's almost like we need a proper recession to reset things.

I'm lucky my dad is a mason by trade and overall, really handy so he can do the plumbing, tile floor and back splash for the kitchen but the cupboards / cabinets themselves, holy crap. I'm dumb labor and can move around stuff or can do basic screwing / hammering etc.

Basement is probably something to tackle a year later; that's mostly doing a drywall ceiling and laminate flooring, small amount of framing.

I don't think a recession is the answer and the raising of interest rates certainly isn't either lol.

I worked 400 extra hours in 2019 to cover costs of our old homes reno...and I had crazy burn out, put on weight etc....I dropped it and put it back on since for various reasons but yeah...it's not sustainable.

I just wanna enjoy life, I do a bit extra work now to help co-workers but at other points, they will take my shifts too.

I've been working since 16 and at 35 it's like holy crap...

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
a buddy just bought a condo (only four years old) in Edmonton, (including two parking spaces) for $198K.

He made out like a bandit selling his house in Hamilton. Our stupid city was invaded by outsiders (mainly GTA) causing our housing prices to 3x - 4x.
Sorry - literally anywhere but Edmonton.

• Wow
Reactions: Maple Leaf

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Good on you to realize earlier than most that there's a lot more to life than just making money. At the end of the day it's all about being happy and spending as much time as you can with your loved ones. Whatever makes you happy and content.

A few weeks back I was talking to one of the nicest guys where I work. He was 60, in great health and active. Told me he wasn't fully ready to retire just yet. Next day I got a call from a friend saying he had passed away due to a heart attack. One day I see him and the next he's gone. 36 years at our company.

This is why I plan on retiring within the next few years. I'm 51 right now and would rather go out on my terms.

To each their own though. I never judge as everyone's situation is different. I make it a point to enjoy life and not dwell or stress on the small things that used to rile me up in my younger days.

Trust me, it's not even worth it in the long run.

On the flipside, I'll probably work into my 70's. I'm a Financial/Investment Advisor, I work from home and most of my clients were either friends first, or became friends after working with them. I enjoy what I do, and have enough flexibility to enjoy life anyway.

Just do whatever is right for you.

Last edited:

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
On the flipside, I'll probably work into my 70's. I'm an Investment Advisor, I work from home and most of my clients were either friends first, or became friends after working with them. I enjoy what I do, and have enough flexibility to enjoy life anyway.

100%! That's exactly why I never judge.

Just do what makes you happy.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'm lucky my dad is a mason by trade and overall, really handy so he can do the plumbing, tile floor and back splash for the kitchen but the cupboards / cabinets themselves, holy crap. I'm dumb labor and can move around stuff or can do basic screwing / hammering etc.

Basement is probably something to tackle a year later; that's mostly doing a drywall ceiling and laminate flooring, small amount of framing.

I don't think a recession is the answer and the raising of interest rates certainly isn't either lol.

I worked 400 extra hours in 2019 to cover costs of our old homes reno...and I had crazy burn out, put on weight etc....I dropped it and put it back on since for various reasons but yeah...it's not sustainable.

I just wanna enjoy life, I do a bit extra work now to help co-workers but at other points, they will take my shifts too.

I've been working since 16 and at 35 it's like holy crap...

Luckily we can do most of the work ourselves. Not the electrical though, but we know people. The framing, drywall (have to get a mudder), flooring... that we can do. Install lights, no problem. Basic plumbing isn't an issue either.

Pinkcat

Jul 4, 2013

I always believed that success was measured by most amount of renumeration for the least amount of work and not just most money. Also I know that I am most productive work wise early in the day. Get up early, put your work in and enjoy the afternoon.
Work life balance is really important, you never get the time back.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Always a good day when meat arrives. :thumbu:
Pic of the ribs for you.

1689362192616.png

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I always believed that success was measured by most amount of renumeration for the least amount of work and not just most money. Also I know that I am most productive work wise early in the day. Get up early, put your work in and enjoy the afternoon.
Work life balance is really important, you never get the time back.

Thank you for this. Gave me something to think about and I am the same way. I have been goofing off in the mornings doing shit around the house and then finding it hard to put in too much effort after lunch. Swapping that makes sense

Reactions: Da Cool Rula

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
On the flipside, I'll probably work into my 70's. I'm a Financial/Investment Advisor, I work from home and most of my clients were either friends first, or became friends after working with them. I enjoy what I do, and have enough flexibility to enjoy life anyway.

I hear ya. I have been a realtor for the last 24 years and. Probably won’t retire anytime soon but I also only work for family and good friends. My days are grinding hard at it are over but the 4-6 deals I do a year keep me in hot rod money. Lol

Reactions: Fogelhund

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario

A lot of the kitchens we’ve done lately have been used cabinets that we refinish. As long as you’ve got time to put in some extra work refinishing, you can still get deals imho. Covid has definitely inflated everything ridiculously, at least lumber came back down, somewhat

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If this is allowed, I thought it might help pass the time to have a safe haven where the same old Leaf thoughts aren't discussed.

I just placed my meat order for the next few weeks and as a public service I thought I'd share the link.

Woodward only ever sold to high end restaurants but over COVID, started selling by word of mouth to friends of employees.
That took off for them and now anyone can order.
They deliver anywhere in the GTA. Everything is great, really high quality and you won't get better Steaks delivered to your door.
I never freeze red meat but everything comes flashed frozen and once thawed you can't tell the difference.

Let me know if you're curious about a product and I'll let you know if I've had it. (Highly recommend the case of 20 Flat Iron steaks, stupid good)
Do you cook on a Big Green Egg or similar? It’s a difference maker.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009

I've been grinding out every day in the same office for the past ten years and I feel this. I'd like to retire by 55, but it's going to be tough and some lifestyle habits are going to need to change at my household. Half the reason I kept going into the office throughout covid is because I knew I'd lose all motivation if I tried working from home.

When we're on our death beds someday, I doubt we'll ever regret not spending more time at work or writing e-mails. Work to live, don't live to work. And congrats on the young family and home ownership.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
I've been grinding out every day in the same office for the past ten years and I feel this. I'd like to retire by 55, but it's going to be tough and some lifestyle habits are going to need to change at my household. Half the reason I kept going into the office throughout covid is because I knew I'd lose all motivation if I tried working from home.

When we're on our death beds someday, I doubt we'll ever regret not spending more time at work or writing e-mails. Work to live, don't live to work. And congrats on the young family and home ownership.

I dont think many people here can actually ever retire the way things are. I will die as a Walmart greeter or a security guard

Reactions: The Management

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad