OT: 'Off topic' thoughts

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I’m a 42yo man with 3 children who started collecting GI Joes again back in october

Attachments

• IMG_3276.jpeg
    IMG_3276.jpeg
    177.8 KB · Views: 5

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
I've decided that I want this guitar. I don't want to spend the money right now but I will probably buy one at some point in this calendar year. I've never played one, my understanding is that they might be hard to get used to but I am determined to try very hard and even if I fail, I can just hang it on a wall and stare at it. The Firebird is IMO the sexiest guitar ever made, these Epiphone sunbursts come in for a fraction of the price of a Gibson and they are getting rave reviews from pretty much everyone. Lynyrd Skynyrd is my second favorite band of all time so it doesn't hurt that Allen Collins played one of these, not to mention Johnny Winter. I don't have a bucket list but if I did, owning a Firebird would be on it.

Does anyone have experience with one of these hotties?

View attachment 804329
Thats a nice one! Never trier one of these.
I've always wanted to grab an explorer. I've played a flying V before, those were sorta awkward, just a doodle jam sorta thing .

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I’m a 42yo man with 3 children who started collecting GI Joes again back in october
I salute you (for the three kids thing, since I also have three). Everyone in that position needs to have a "thing", or you simply go crazy. Whether it's collecting, music, some kind of sport, whatever, but you need something to keep you sane amidst the chaos.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I've decided that I want this guitar. I don't want to spend the money right now but I will probably buy one at some point in this calendar year. I've never played one, my understanding is that they might be hard to get used to but I am determined to try very hard and even if I fail, I can just hang it on a wall and stare at it. The Firebird is IMO the sexiest guitar ever made, these Epiphone sunbursts come in for a fraction of the price of a Gibson and they are getting rave reviews from pretty much everyone. Lynyrd Skynyrd is my second favorite band of all time so it doesn't hurt that Allen Collins played one of these, not to mention Johnny Winter. I don't have a bucket list but if I did, owning a Firebird would be on it.

View attachment 804329
You have to get a monster strap to play a Firebird because of how neck-heavy they are. My buddy has one, and while he can play it beautifully, I struggle with it whenever I pick it up. But damn they are nice looking guitars.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth

I salute you (for the three kids thing, since I also have three). Everyone in that position needs to have a "thing", or you simply go crazy. Whether it's collecting, music, some kind of sport, whatever, but you need something to keep you sane amidst the chaos.

I'm a 42 yrs old man with 2 kids and I have a huge scale model car collection.
40 year old man, 2 kids
my thing is my "punk" band and our rehearsal space down in South Etobicoke/mimico . Been doing this since being 18. Can't see myself ever stopping!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The latest bit of fun for me is a 12 string. Took a bit of getting used to, but it's a treat to play.
I've neve tried one, don't know enough about guitars to even understand what the point is TBH, a fuller sound I guess? Just the thought of tuning one makes me a bit crazy though I suppose it's a lot easier now than in the old days when we used a tuning fork LOL.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
I've neve tried one, don't know enough about guitars to even understand what the point is TBH, a fuller sound I guess? Just the thought of tuning one makes me a bit crazy though I suppose it's a lot easier now than in the old days when we used a tuning fork LOL.
Fuller sound and essential creates a "chorus" sound as each string EADGBe has a higher octave next to it. So each set has a high and low octave. Pretty fun to play with.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

View attachment 804329
Johnny Winter says hi……….

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021

View attachment 804329
I'm learning now. I suck at it but it's fun.
Damn. I truly forgot how amazing Castlevania III for the NES was.

View attachment 804582View attachment 804583View attachment 804584
It's hard as shit. Japanese version is much easier and has an even better soundtrack that couldn't be emulated with NES hardware.Great game though.

Edit: Japanese soundtrack here

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Doing popcorn removal with the assistance of father and father in law because electrical is definitely not my forte.

It's not hard and sure I made some marks in the ceiling in the early going but it doesn't take a ton of skill but holy f*** is it messy. It's killing my OCD to see the mess.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
Very true. The Japanese version was much easier than the N.American version.
Granted, I was never a gamer of great skill (my only real gaming accomplishment that i can think of is beating Super C on the NES without taking a hit or getting a powerup, but that is not a hard game) but I've beaten the original Castlevania yet I struggle with III. Not that I have time to game anymore anyways.

Not to get moral or anything, but I kind of liked that the games were hard when I was a kid. It taught you perseverance at a time when the Interwebs was not widely accessible. Imagine picking up a copy of Little Nemo: Dream Master from Santa Claus back in the day and finding out that despite its childish charm it will f***ing bust your not-fully-yet-dropped balls. It was a cool time.

• Love
Reactions: BallardEra

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad