OT: 'Off topic' thoughts

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
my "Fender File"
fender file.jpg

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
That Tele's beautiful!

I've spent the last month or so trying to decide on which finish/pickguard I'm going to go with when I order my Novo later this year. I'm now leaning towards going with my wife's suggestion - Ice Blue Metallic over '64 3-Tone Sunburst. She says it looks like a beautiful painting, I think she's right!

novo.PNG

But with this pickguard, and blocks instead of dots on the neck:

pickguard.PNG

I prefer a wired one instead.
I switched to a Logitech Trackball mouse almost 20 years ago, best decision I ever made. Wired, wireless, either way they're awesome!

Attachments

• novo.PNG
    novo.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
That Tele's beautiful!

I've spent the last month or so trying to decide on which finish/pickguard I'm going to go with when I order my Novo later this year. I'm now leaning towards going with my wife's suggestion - Ice Blue Metallic over '64 3-Tone Sunburst. She says it looks like a beautiful painting, I think she's right!

View attachment 812292
But with this pickguard, and blocks instead of dots on the neck:

View attachment 812291

I switched to a Logitech Trackball mouse almost 20 years ago, best decision I ever made. Wired, wireless, either way they're awesome!
Appreciate it thanks

That Tele is an April 68 build, I tripped over it in an Ottawa pawn shop in 85. It was in pretty rough shape it needed a refret and a bunch of general maintenance that had been ignored. I also have a 66 SG std that I bought in 2012. They both play like a dream and oh that Tele bridge, nothing like it.

The Cola Strat is an Am Std, the shoreline gold is a Mexican classic 50s and the SB is a 57 avri(the Layla strat basically) The pink paisley Jazzmaster is a "Crafted in Japan" reissue

I also have a few others an Eastman T486 (think 335) is the latest and probably the last.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
So apparently Morgan Rielly is now a married man. Tessa claims to be a good judge of character and the fact that she married the only one of our star players about whom we can say with 100% certainty that he's not a cupcake, suggests that she is indeed that. This puts a smile on my face, wishing these two all the happiness in the world.

tessa1.jpg

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Last night I bought myself a new toy, should be delivered by Monday. I have almost no experience with guitar pedals but I think it's about time I learned. The reviews are really good for this thing, and it seems like much more cost effective than buying individual pedals and I'm watching some youtube vids now to get at least a little bit of learning done before it gets here. If anyone has experience with this toy and has any comments, tips etc., please share your thoughts.

valeton.png

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
^^^^^

That's a nice looking unit. It looks like it has a built in drum machine which is pretty cold, if so. When I last bought guitar pedals, it was long before the days of YT and the interwebs so it was a crappy task to figure out what you're doing if you were on your own; it sure is nice to have YT to help guide you through the process.

My only advice I can give you is to learn all the ins and outs of the unit. Definitely plug in and have fun to start, but over time, it's always a good idea to do a deep dive and really find out what the unit is capable of doing. I had a Roland effects unit for about 5 years until someone showed me how I could get the thing actually sounding great (as opposed to just decent).

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
^^^^^

That's a nice looking unit. It looks like it has a built in drum machine which is pretty cold, if so. When I last bought guitar pedals, it was long before the days of YT and the interwebs so it was a crappy task to figure out what you're doing if you were on your own; it sure is nice to have YT to help guide you through the process.

My only advice I can give you is to learn all the ins and outs of the unit. Definitely plug in and have fun to start, but over time, it's always a good idea to do a deep dive and really find out what the unit is capable of doing. I had a Roland effects unit for about 5 years until someone showed me how I could get the thing actually sounding great (as opposed to just decent).
From what I've gathered, the drum effects aren't great but still, better than nothing and cool to have. You can't save loops with this unit so I'm hoping that will make me practice both lead and rhythm as to be able to create decent sounding loops and having drums will I think be a nice thing to have for the loops.

5 years wow, food for thought definitely. I definitely want to get great sounds as opposed to just good ones but since I'm just starting out with effects, it'll take time. I also want to avoid the trap of spending all my time playing with effects instead of learning how to play the damn guitar and I still have a long way to go there. But anyway, I do expect to have a ton of fun and I'm hoping that having all kinds of interesting tones to play with will result in me having more motivation to practice.

And you're so right, being in this age of YT helps a ton, I'd be lost without it TBH.

Reactions: Mr_Fun

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
While we are talking about music, I've been starting to learn guitar myself; I might have mentioned it earlier.

I don't have a lot of free time but I enjoy it now, and that is what is different about my previous attempts. I have a lovely practice amp; it's the smallest tube amp (1W!) I've ever found but it's more than loud enough for my practices in my office. It sounds good clean and even better when overdriven and since it's so low wattage I can easily overdrive it without waking the dead.

I didn't get the most appropriate guitar for a beginner though...why I thought I needed a locking nut, I have no idea.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
While we are talking about music, I've been starting to learn guitar myself; I might have mentioned it earlier.

I don't have a lot of free time but I enjoy it now, and that is what is different about my previous attempts. I have a lovely practice amp; it's the smallest tube amp (1W!) I've ever found but it's more than loud enough for my practices in my office. It sounds good clean and even better when overdriven and since it's so low wattage I can easily overdrive it without waking the dead.

I didn't get the most appropriate guitar for a beginner though...why I thought I needed a locking nut, I have no idea.
I'm pretty sure that at some point in the future, I'm going to buy a tube amp and since it will be only for playing at him it will also be 1 watt, or maybe even .5 watts so I'd be interested in which one you have. And being interested in guitars in general, I'm curious as to what kind of guitar you have.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
I'm pretty sure that at some point in the future, I'm going to buy a tube amp and since it will be only for playing at him it will also be 1 watt, or maybe even .5 watts so I'd be interested in which one you have. And being interested in guitars in general, I'm curious as to what kind of guitar you have.
It's a Blackstar, I'll look up the model later.

The guitar is an Ibanez RG1320. Far too nice for a beginner. The neck is primarily made of wenge (wenge is oiled and never hard finished so it's super fast) and it's to die for. The fretboard, however, is a bit too flat for a beginner and optimized more for leads than chords...and I hate having a locking nut when I'm not ready to divebomb anyways.

AllHeartNoSkill

Nov 23, 2008

The guitar is an Ibanez RG1320. Far too nice for a beginner. The neck is primarily made of wenge (wenge is oiled and never hard finished so it's super fast) and it's to die for. The fretboard, however, is a bit too flat for a beginner and optimized more for leads than chords...and I hate having a locking nut when I'm not ready to divebomb anyways.
Does the amp have a headphone out?

Man I never bothered to check out this thread, I had no idea we were nerding out on guitars! I’ve can’t shake this urge I have to pick up either a Fender Precision or a Music Man Stingray. Anybody have any input?

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021

Man I never bothered to check out this thread, I had no idea we were nerding out on guitars! I’ve can’t shake this urge I have to pick up either a Fender Precision or a Music Man Stingray. Anybody have any input?
Yes it does have a headphone jack.

Dude, if you're obsessed with gear and the little things, go to warmoth.com. Guitar parts and if you are as obsessed with customization like I am you'll waste hours lol.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

OK thanks, I've watched a few YT vids on the Blackstar and I assume there's just the one 1 watt amp they have. Having a guitar that's "too nice" for you is fine I think, if you like your guitar then maybe you practice more, at least I think that's theory. Of course being more suited for lead is perhaps another story, and maybe I'm just saying that to justify my actions - I'm planning on buying a guitar later this year that's way too nice and expensive than playing abilities could possibly justify. :)

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
This is way off topic.

I didn't know where to post this so I guess this thread will do.

I am a very social person, who has climbed the ranks of working with elite athletes and have become pretty succesfull at it.

The reason I bring this up is, I am grateful for all of you Leaf fans(even those whose opinions I find off the rails) for the community you have created.

I look forward to when I have a spare moment to join a debate, or just talk about the team we love in general.

Thank you for the past few years.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth

Can't go wrong with either or. Had buddies sell one to buy the other and vice versa and really didn't have anything bad to say about either one.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Took tonight to explore and create some cocktails from scratch for the first time. Usually I look up recipes , make the classics ECT .

Came up with two Mezcal based ones that ended up fantastic (after a couple tweaks to the specs)
Here are the recipes for anyone else interested in trying em out (maybe these exist out there who knows)

(no name yet)
1.5 oz Mezcal
0.75 oz St. Germain Elderflower
0.25 oz Amaro Montenegro
0.5 oz Lemon juice.

Riding the Ruby Red Dragon
1.5 oz Mezcal
0.75 oz Campari
O.5 oz St Germain Elderflower
0.5 oz lemon juice
PXL_20240203_234748451.PORTRAIT.jpg

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Just a little bit of snow on Cape Breton Island over the weekend. o_O

Attachments

• IMG_1756.jpg
    IMG_1756.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Wow
Reactions: Leaf Rocket

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Just a little bit of snow on Cape Breton Island over the weekend. o_O
Wow, your welcomed to it, were having a nice extended January thaw out here in Ontario right now and the sun has actually shown up two days in a row……….

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Wow, your welcomed to it, were having a nice extended January thaw out here in Ontario right now and the sun has actually shown up two days in a row……….
I just hope we don't have to call in the army. :snide:

• Haha
Reactions: rumman

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
East coasters are never going to let Toronto live that down, are we?
Never.
I was on a call earlier this morning and someone on from Cole Harbour made the same tired old joke.
It's become as creative as the '67 idiocy we hear all the time as leaf fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad