OT: 'Off topic' thoughts

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Too much gaming talk, back to important stuff. I was looking for something at the LCBO yesterday and happened to see this on the shelf. I'd never tried the cask strength stuff but I've read about it lately, I like Laphroaig so on an impulse, I bought a bottle even though it was damn pricey. I tried some last night, holy smokes what a peat bomb. I'm honestly not ever sure I like it, perhaps my palate isn't sophisticated enough or maybe it's just too peaty but I guess I'll have to try it a couple more times to decide for sure. I don't normally add water to scotch but for this stuff it's a must, completely changes the taste and opens it up. This is batch 16, in batch 15 there are apparently instructions on the package to add double the amount of water to the scotch, but for this batch is says to add just a little bit. An interesting experiment anyway, next time I try it I will probably add more water than I did. If I had to say right now, I'd say I won't be buying any more of Laphroaig Cask Strength as I'd rather just by Lagavulin (8 or 16) but who knows. It's different anyway from any scotch I've tried before, VERY different!!

View attachment 802170
That is beautiful.
Too much gaming talk, back to important stuff. I was looking for something at the LCBO yesterday and happened to see this on the shelf. I'd never tried the cask strength stuff but I've read about it lately, I like Laphroaig so on an impulse, I bought a bottle even though it was damn pricey. I tried some last night, holy smokes what a peat bomb. I'm honestly not ever sure I like it, perhaps my palate isn't sophisticated enough or maybe it's just too peaty but I guess I'll have to try it a couple more times to decide for sure. I don't normally add water to scotch but for this stuff it's a must, completely changes the taste and opens it up. This is batch 16, in batch 15 there are apparently instructions on the package to add double the amount of water to the scotch, but for this batch is says to add just a little bit. An interesting experiment anyway, next time I try it I will probably add more water than I did. If I had to say right now, I'd say I won't be buying any more of Laphroaig Cask Strength as I'd rather just by Lagavulin (8 or 16) but who knows. It's different anyway from any scotch I've tried before, VERY different!!

View attachment 802170
I'm not a peaty scotch guy, but that's still beautiful. I just picked up a Lagavulin 16 and Macallan 18, so even if the Leafs lose tonight, I'll come out a winner. Or at least have enough to not remember the loss.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
That is beautiful.
I'm not a peaty scotch guy, but that's still beautiful. I just picked up a Lagavulin 16 and Macallan 18, so even if the Leafs lose tonight, I'll come out a winner. Or at least have enough to not remember the loss.
I found this quote in a review, it's kind of how I feel - If you’re not used to peat, be prepared to be shocked and overwhelmed.

Lagavulin 16 is my all-time favorite and that's peaty too of course, I feel like the peat in this Laphroaig is just overwhelming though I'm no expert so maybe it's something else that's making me unsure about this one whereas Lagavulin was just love from the first sip. Even Lagavulin 8 is amazing, for my palate anyway. I hadn't had any Lagavulin in a long time as I've mostly been drinking bourbon lately but yeah last night, first the Laphroaig and then I opened a bottle of Lagavulin 8, yum!

I picked up a bottle of Lagavulin Distillers edition in the summer, haven't opened it yet, I assume it will be on the same tier as the 16.

I've never really gotten into Macallan, from what I hear it's really good (and I know there are people that won't drink anything else) but also so hyped that it's overpriced. I just looked it up in lcbo.com and at distiller.com, there's 2 different ones at lcbo, both priced at over 700 bucks, is that what you have? There's the double cask for 744.95 which user reviews at distiller rate to be roughly on par with Lagavulin 16, and then the Sherry Oak for 845 which user reviews rate a bit higher. Seems really expensive, I feel a bit sheepish already for spending over 150 buck on a bottle that I'm not even sure I really like LOL.

Reactions: al secord

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

View attachment 802170
Ya that's known if the peaty flavour. Instead of adding water try having it on the side to chase. That way you don't dilute the scotch, just the aftertaste

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth

View attachment 802170
I was eying this one too, I wanna see if I can get into the peaty ones myself. Not sure where to start at.

All this video game talk reminded me I have thos bad boy. BNIB 😂
1000016088.jpg

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I was eying this one too, I wanna see if I can get into the peaty ones myself. Not sure where to start at.

All this video game talk reminded me I have thos bad boy. BNIB 😂
View attachment 803500
I tried some again last night, it's definitely too peaty for me. Laphroaig 10 and Lagavulin 8 might be good ones to try, they're both peaty but much less so. They're both good bang for the buck IMO, I especially love the Lagavulin 8 (I really love everything Lagavulin does).

Reactions: Metroid

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
I tried some again last night, it's definitely too peaty for me. Laphroaig 10 and Lagavulin 8 might be good ones to try, they're both peaty but much less so. They're both good bang for the buck IMO, I especially love the Lagavulin 8 (I really love everything Lagavulin does).
I'll give em a try.
Watching Parks and Rec few months ago wanted me to give Lagavulin 16 a go, but don't wanna spend that cash until I know I can handle the peat

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'll give em a try.
Watching Parks and Rec few months ago wanted me to give Lagavulin 16 a go, but don't wanna spend that cash until I know I can handle the peat
Yeah the 16 is pricey, single malt prices have gone up so much it's crazy. I still think it's worth it, but Lagavulin 16 is simply my all time favorite and others might disagree. The Lagavulin 8 is also amazing though, if you try it, let us know how you like it. Cheers!

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
I can't believe how much better my modded NES looks over component cables versus the normal composite AV ones.

Zoom in on the pics below but watching in person is night and day. I have some videos but not sure how to post them here.

Composite

View attachment 803845View attachment 803846

Component

View attachment 803847View attachment 803848View attachment 803849
I once won an RBI Baseball 2 tournament. Pitched a perfect game in the final. My opponent was not happy.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'll give em a try.
I forgot to say earlier (and not sure if you know this already) but if you're a fan of Parks and Rec, it might be interesting to know that Lagavulin worked with Offerman to do a special version of Lagavulin called the Offerman edition. It doesn't currently show on the lcbo website and I'm not sure exactly what the deal is with this, but I'm guessing there will be another batch of these coming at some point. I've been lucky enough to try 2 versions of it, one was finished in Guinness cases I believe, the price was a bit more than the Lagavulin 8 and like every version of Lagavulin I've ever tried, IMO it was well worth the money.

If interested, you can read about the various Lagavulin offerings at this site. As far as rating go, I ignore the "sort by" as I have no idea what it means, but I have found the "relevance" scores (which I assume are user ratings) to be on point.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
I forgot to say earlier (and not sure if you know this already) but if you're a fan of Parks and Rec, it might be interesting to know that Lagavulin worked with Offerman to do a special version of Lagavulin called the Offerman edition. It doesn't currently show on the lcbo website and I'm not sure exactly what the deal is with this, but I'm guessing there will be another batch of these coming at some point. I've been lucky enough to try 2 versions of it, one was finished in Guinness cases I believe, the price was a bit more than the Lagavulin 8 and like every version of Lagavulin I've ever tried, IMO it was well worth the money.

If interested, you can read about the various Lagavulin offerings at this site. As far as rating go, I ignore the "sort by" as I have no idea what it means, but I have found the "relevance" scores (which I assume are user ratings) to be on point.

Oh shit eh, that's awesome. That Guinness cask one sounds very interesting!! I have couple buddies that are Product Consultants at the LCBO, I'll pick their brain about it!

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Baseball Stars was the best baseball game of the NES era. Discuss.

Absolutely hilarious game. 90% of fly balls would drop in the outfield and seemed like every guy had the Johnny Damon noodle for an arm.

Grew up playing Roger Clemens' MVP Baseball for SNES. Hitting and pitching were really fun. Fielding got a little dicey at times with the weird camera angles.

• Haha
Reactions: BallardEra

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Just a group of guys from work back in the day.

The original one was definitely different.
I liked them both but I loved that the second one (and RBI 3) had a homer run distance measurement. My friends and I realized that when you brought in a pinch hitter they'd have some extra pop. I think the programers did this to make things interesting when a pinch hitter came into the game.

We actually wrote the developers from Tengen back in 1990 and they gave us the passwords to use their hidden Tengen team. Some fake names on there but also a lot of the development team. By throwing these super players on the bench and bringing them in as pinch hitters you could hit 500+ ft homers in the game.

Check out one of their players below with 70 homers. :laugh:

1000015301.jpg

1000015322.png

Baseball Stars was the best baseball game of the NES era. Discuss.
It was a great game for sure but I remember renting the Neo-Geo back in the day and that was the superior version without a doubt.

Reactions: keonsbitterness

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I've decided that I want this guitar. I don't want to spend the money right now but I will probably buy one at some point in this calendar year. I've never played one, my understanding is that they might be hard to get used to but I am determined to try very hard and even if I fail, I can just hang it on a wall and stare at it. The Firebird is IMO the sexiest guitar ever made, these Epiphone sunbursts come in for a fraction of the price of a Gibson and they are getting rave reviews from pretty much everyone. Lynyrd Skynyrd is my second favorite band of all time so it doesn't hurt that Allen Collins played one of these, not to mention Johnny Winter. I don't have a bucket list but if I did, owning a Firebird would be on it.

Does anyone have experience with one of these hotties?

firebird.jpg

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Re: RBI Baseball. Used to have tournaments with my buddies, so many fun memories of those times.

Sometimes, I play this youtube link to hear all the beautiful sounds of the game, to take me back to those times in the 80s hahaha

There is also a 10 hour Bubble Bobble theme on youtube lol

This is so awesome too:

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I've decided that I want this guitar. I don't want to spend the money right now but I will probably buy one at some point in this calendar year. I've never played one, my understanding is that they might be hard to get used to but I am determined to try very hard and even if I fail, I can just hang it on a wall and stare at it. The Firebird is IMO the sexiest guitar ever made, these Epiphone sunbursts come in for a fraction of the price of a Gibson and they are getting rave reviews from pretty much everyone. Lynyrd Skynyrd is my second favorite band of all time so it doesn't hurt that Allen Collins played one of these, not to mention Johnny Winter. I don't have a bucket list but if I did, owning a Firebird would be on it.

Does anyone have experience with one of these hotties?

View attachment 804329
Do you already play guitar?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad