Off-season thread

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
On the Athletic, they are running their fan base survey of "Confidence level in your GM and management" for the year. Last year, Nill & Co. ranked 24th, despite good recent drafting. They questioned the "always win now, so don't rebuild" attitude and the hire of PDB, which they called a continuation of the Rick Bowness shackle system of offense.

I wonder how our reigning GM of the year will fare this year?

Reactions: 506

Ratbath

Jul 3, 2019
EA doesn't want it on PC because the community would make it better and then they wouldn't be able to charge us every year for a glorified roster update that the community ends up having to balance and fix anyways.

I used to buy the game at launch for the longest time, but now I end up waiting until it's either half price or practically free before buying it, if at all.
Never thought about that. What a sad business model.

I bought NBA2K during the pandemic when it was crazy cheap and that card system is fun and totally addictive in the same way as gambling. Can’t imagine paying full price for such a pay-to-win model though

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I mean you don't need to rebuild if you draft really well with later picks.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Never thought about that. What a sad business model.

I bought NBA2K during the pandemic when it was crazy cheap and that card system is fun and totally addictive in the same way as gambling. Can’t imagine paying full price for such a pay-to-win model though

It's especially bad because its yearly games. I spend some money on stuff like Hearthstone but i don't need to buy a new Hearthstone every year on top of spending money for card packs.

In the Sports games your progress will be worthless once the next series game is released a year later

Last edited:

Ratbath

Jul 3, 2019
It's especially bad because its yearly games. If spend some money on stuff like Hearthstone but i don't need to buy a new Hearthstone every year on top of spending money of card packs.

In the Sports games your progress will be worthless once the next series game is released a year later
Yes, this too. Even when I want to buy a discounted game it’s usually already useless to play already so I just never buy sports games any more

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
On the Athletic, they are running their fan base survey of "Confidence level in your GM and management" for the year. Last year, Nill & Co. ranked 24th, despite good recent drafting. They questioned the "always win now, so don't rebuild" attitude and the hire of PDB, which they called a continuation of the Rick Bowness shackle system of offense.

I wonder how our reigning GM of the year will fare this year?

Some hockey coverage you can count on to be on the right side of history.

Speaking of which, I'm writing about him tomorrow at D Magazine. As good as he is, there's still some shit to straight out. Namely finding Dallas' identity on offense. Scoring a lot of goals is not the same as having an effective system, and Dallas still doesn't have much of a rush attack, or a cycle for that matter.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Nothing wrong with splitting hairs when it's the difference between another WC Finals loss...or not. (IMO)

This hits on an important conclusion. You can say your system is whatever you want. But if the players on the ice are Lindell, Suter, Miller, Hakanpaa, and Hanley, well, it doesn't matter. They're going to do what they are capable of, which is fail to exit the zone with possession.

If Harley and Lundkvist aren't your #2 and #3 (barring future acquisitions), you won't achieve the final change in style that has to happen to reach the next level.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
OK check this out (video starts at correct timestamp) -- watch at least through 34:30 or so.

So Fedorov scores, they finally realize it and go to review, but keep your eyes on the margins of the rink. What's that? Yep, they're throwing trash on the ice in the playoffs! It's a Stars' fan birthright.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Tampa should change their logo to Capfriendly's little red arrow indicating the contract extends beyond their table size

lightningcontracts.JPG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad