Off-season thread

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
If you take a couple minutes to search on Twitter/Google you’ll see the heavily implicated names. Feels gross to put it in these terms but there’s some real producers that are implicated. Feel like they should be given the Quenneville/Bowman/Mailloux treatment.

Reactions: LT

Dude Here

Mar 21, 2022
Do we wonder if there are suspensions imminent, and that was why Nill thought there would be some activity in mid-July?

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Do we wonder if there are suspensions imminent, and that was why Nill thought there would be some activity in mid-July?

Nah that has little to nothing to do it with it. Still free agents that need to make decisions and then you have situations like DeAngelo to Carolina, where the Flyers have to wait for a full year to pass before they can retain on him. Just a lot going on and teams need to get themselves squared away on paper before they start pulling the trigger on trades.

Edit: I am curious as to why Calgary hasn’t done shit. Trying to repair relationships with current players? If that doesn’t play out the way they want they’re gonna have a lot of work to do in a short period of time.

Reactions: LT and piqued

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Nah that has little to nothing to do it with it. Still free agents that need to make decisions and then you have situations like DeAngelo to Carolina, where the Flyers have to wait for a full year to pass before they can retain on him. Just a lot going on and teams need to get themselves squared away on paper before they start pulling the trigger on trades.

Edit: I am curious as to why Calgary hasn’t done shit. Trying to repair relationships with current players? If that doesn’t play out the way they want they’re gonna have a lot of work to do in a short period of time.
My guess is trade prices and free agent prices will drop as the summer moves along. There are still several teams who need to clear cap space, and they'll eventually have to bite the bullet to give guys away.

Reactions: LT and Dallasman

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
Not sure if I would be interested or not but if the cap is going up next year. What would a Seth Jones trade look like. He is overpaid so would not give up too much

soccermendoza

Nov 13, 2021
I think we ruined his development letting him play as an 18 year old. Should have let him stew in the KHL or not drafted him at all. He was barely 21 years old when he went back to the KHL. If he wanted to quit on the team he could have just said trade me but he came back, we bought him out and he became a pretty good player in Colorado.

His play after he left Dallas showed he was talented enough to do it he just needed to mature. But that 0 goal, 10 assist season was brutal to watch.

Although, with what happened recently with him my opinion on him could change.
what happened to him? I missed that

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Not sure if I would be interested or not but if the cap is going up next year. What would a Seth Jones trade look like. He is overpaid so would not give up too much
No idea what Chicago would want but how do you fit in his cap hit?

I would love to add him to the team. I wanted to see it happen 2 years ago or whenever he was available

Reactions: LT

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Just to make it work this year alone, we'd have to clear 9mil in cap space. There's no way you're getting any significant retention for 7yrs.
So you'd need to look at the ways you could create 9mil in space to fit him.

Seguin (NMC)
Benn (NMC)
Lindell +Marchment (NMC and 10t NTC)
Duchene+Faksa+Suter (5t NTC, NMC)
Duchene+Pavelski +Faksa(NMC, 5 NTC)

Of the players you would move to open that space, there's NMC involved, and even if they were willing to waive for Chicago, a lot have negative value.
Jones doesn't have a ton value anymore himself especially with that horrid contract but would still hold more value than most of the $ we'd have to ship out.

Of the players we can trade without concern for an NMC, you're gutting the depth to add jones.
All this is to say that there's no scenario where it works for this season, and even if you could make the money work, why would you want to anchor yourself to that horrible of a contract. We're finally getting towards the end of Benn/Seguin. We don't need to take on another washed up player with a bad hit and tons of term.

Reactions: eartotheground

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Why is Seth Jones' contract "horrid"? That's what #1 defensemen get paid in the NHL.

He's a top pairing defenseman with the good enough IQ to have positive value into his 30s. It's not like he's in his mid 30s, slowed down, with negative possession metrics relative to his teammates. I'd much rather have Seth Jones than Erik Karlsson.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Why is Seth Jones' contract "horrid"? That's what #1 defensemen get paid in the NHL.

He's a top pairing defenseman with the good enough IQ to have positive value into his 30s. It's not like he's in his mid 30s, slowed down, with negative possession metrics relative to his teammates. I'd much rather have Seth Jones than Erik Karlsson.
Because he's not a #1 defenseman, has been trending down for the last few years, some of that can be attributed to Chicago being a bad, but he's signed until he's 35, he's decent at preventing defensive zone entry but otherwise gets caved in while in the defensive zone, good offensively.
He'd instantly be our 2nd best d-man, and it would benefit him to be behind heiskanen, but he's already not a 9.5m player(there's a reason everyone laughed at that contract when it was signed he's done nothing to redeem it) and considering his last 3yrs it doesn't bode well for the remaining 7, regardless if being on bad Chicago and Columbus teams can explain some of it

Reactions: Elysian

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Because he's not a #1 defenseman, has been trending down for the last few years
has he? or did one bad season in 2020-21 + a massive contract cause public perception of him to change

1689202521018.png

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Member the Jones v Klingberg discussion?

I’m curious if anyone has changed their tune now.

Not everyone loves hockey so much that they can stomach full games of other teams, but being a DAL and CBJ fan made it easy to make the distinction for me. Klingberg was never as good as Jones and CBJ’s defense hasn’t been the same since he left. Go back and watch the Tampa Bay sweep if you wanna see what Miro looks like right-handed.

• Love
Reactions: LT and Satan

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Would like to add Jones but that would really f*** up the viability of this thing long term with how the “core” contracts are set up. Don’t even know how you’d move that money around.

Reactions: redbeardtx and LT

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Would like to add Jones but that would really f*** up the viability of this thing long term with how the “core” contracts are set up. Don’t even know how you’d move that money around.
Yeah unless part of that cap hit gets eaten by Chicago or a 3rd team, Jones isn’t happening. I think he and Heiskanen would benefit a lot playing with each other though.

Reactions: redbeardtx

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad