Off-season thread

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Yeah if you were wondering if winning the Cup was going to make Vegas sentimental... nope

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
You never know...
There was talk Vegas wanted to re-sign Barbahsev so this frees up the $$$ to do so.

They'll also probably get DeBrincat too and put Stone on LTIR all season only to have do the Kucherov and come back for the playoffs.

Edit: Barbashev just re-signed in Vegas at $5 x 5

Last edited:

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
There was talk Vegas wanted to re-sign Barbahsev so this frees up the $$$ to do so.

They'll also probably get DeBrincat too and put Stone on LTIR all season only to have do the Kucherov and come back for the playoffs.
Hill's rumored 4.9m extension and Barbashev will eat most of that space.
Every team can use LTIR, this isn't some one up they get that nobody else does, there's no sense complaining about it.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Sens fans mentioned they needed a goalie...either that or the Preds wanna trade up

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
One thing that has plagued my mind this off season is that because we made the West finals this year, it covers up the weaknesses of the team and could have a bit of a rest on our laurels approach...roll up with the same team, almost got to the Cup finals last year so go again.

But my concern with that is how truly good are Dallas? If you take a step back we beat a very average Minnesota team and then a young up and coming but not quite good enough Seattle team, before succumbing to a genuine contender.

But what if the West finals appearance was a product of being in a favourable bracket? What if we played teams of the calibre of Edmonton, vegas, Toronto, Boston in our bracket in rounds 1 and 2. We may very well have been 1 and done with weakness glaring.

Are Dallas a contender, or are 2-3 more roster improvements needed to win the Cup...and if we don't make them are we back to being a 1st round and out / borderline wild card team...

Unsure.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The only other UFA i could see coming back is Kivi well maybe Hanley i guess because he only gets minimum salary.

Reactions: LT

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
One thing that has plagued my mind this off season is that because we made the West finals this year, it covers up the weaknesses of the team and could have a bit of a rest on our laurels approach...roll up with the same team, almost got to the Cup finals last year so go again.

But my concern with that is how truly good are Dallas? If you take a step back we beat a very average Minnesota team and then a young up and coming but not quite good enough Seattle team, before succumbing to a genuine contender.

But what if the West finals appearance was a product of being in a favourable bracket? What if we played teams of the calibre of Edmonton, vegas, Toronto, Boston in our bracket in rounds 1 and 2. We may very well have been 1 and done with weakness glaring.

Are Dallas a contender, or are 2-3 more roster improvements needed to win the Cup...and if we don't make them are we back to being a 1st round and out / borderline wild card team...

Unsure.

Last year was found money. Nobody expected Dallas to be that good. Or at least the vast majority of us didn't. The problem is the fundamental structure of this roster because a) the cap didn't rise with covid and b) Seguin ruined his legs and isn't worth the contract he got.

Benn being worth the money this past season after being worthless the prior two is great. Marchment is a disaster contract so far and of course Faska is overpaid. Lundkvist also hasn't turned out how DeBoer wants him either.

The cheap internal defensive options are a season or two away. Thankfully the internal forward replacements are ready/near ready.

The hope is the young players take a step forward. The vets don't take a step back and at the deadline Dallas is in a position to add help without mortgaging the future. A healthy playoff Otter makes a huge difference too.

Do I wish Nill was a bit more cutthroat like the Vegas GM? Yes. I want Suter and Miller gone like everyone else, but I'm not willing to sell Stankoven or Bourque to bring in a meh defenseman that's not even a vast upgrade on this blueline because the good expensive ones are unattainable due to the cap.

I don't see how this group gets to Cup Finalist without another Miro or similar on the blueline. Seems very doubtful another will fall in our laps like Miro did.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Just a side note: haven't seen Erik Karlsson linked to the Stars at all it seems..most insiders I've seen don't even mention them in the top 5 possible destinations for him. Doesn't mean much but it's weird to not see the Stars in on someone usually we are always rumored to be in on big names

Reactions: LT and Zapp

skygodz187

Feb 15, 2015
I think Harley, Stankoven and Bourque all make this squad out the gates with the way the cap is looking.

My problem is why Faksa and Suter are still on this team?

These guys are either needing cut or traded.

I get it. We have no cap space. But there are some trades we could make using these draft picks.
Maybe add in Diamani or Stranges.
I dony see Karlsson as an option.
Debrincat would be awesome but man it would be hard to pull off.

What about Carlo from the Penguins?
They are cutting some salary so he should bean target

• Haha
Reactions: account deactivated

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad