Off-season thread

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I wonder if Nill could get Domi to come back on at the same AAV as Dadanov, but with more term. Perhaps 3 years, so that it expires with Marchment and Robertson? If so, does that also make Marchment more expendable (than he already is)?
there is 0 chance Max Domi takes a 3 year 2.25M contract. He's looking at a 5x4.5M+ contract on July 1.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I understand that, and it's a fine and normal part of the business. But when those players are taking a significant part of the cap, GMs can't build a winning team around them. Perhaps there isn't enough data yet, with the cap era still being relatively new, but as my original post mentioned there aren't any teams in this era (that I'm aware of) that have won a Cup with one player making more than something like 12.5% of the team's cap.

That's why my opinion is that Robertson can chase his big money somewhere else if he wants, while the future Stars GM can keep building a roster that is balanced and with role players, with ELCs, and with star players that don't take too high of a percentage of the team's cap.
You're mixing up cap percentage with actual dollars. Vegas just won the Cup with two guys making more than Miro.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Getting 31 and Ross Colton for Newhook is a very tidy bit of business. Maybe that’ll get Colorado out of the first round. They still need a goalie though.

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
Colorado making some good moves. Kind of wish big trade Nill would show up again.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Colorado making some good moves. Kind of wish big trade Nill would show up again.

I just think our cap situation is too sticky. Not saying something can’t happen but it doesn’t seem likely with how little we’ve heard. Unless someone is taking Benn or Seguin off our hands I don’t see anything of relevance happening. Probably just going to promote from within and hope Lundkvist takes another step.

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
I just think our cap situation is too sticky. Not saying something can’t happen but it doesn’t seem likely with how little we’ve heard. Unless someone is taking Benn or Seguin off our hands I don’t see anything of relevance happening. Probably just going to promote from within and hope Lundkvist takes another step.
Yeah that is probably the path forward. Unless Seguin is willing to waive. I don’t have much hope for Lundkvist. Doubt he learned in the press box. I hope I’m wrong and he turns it on.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Getting 31 and Ross Colton for Newhook is a very tidy bit of business. Maybe that’ll get Colorado out of the first round. They still need a goalie though.
They're probably fine with Georgiev being the #1.
Especially with their d-core, assuming everyone is healthy.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Yeah that is probably the path forward. Unless Seguin is willing to waive. I don’t have much hope for Lundkvist. Doubt he learned in the press box. I hope I’m wrong and he turns it on.

Obviously Lundkvist will never be Miro, or a #1 D, but I still think he'll be a decent 2nd pairing Dman that helps our 2nd pp unit

Hopefully he gets to play most of the next season

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
you know they still get to practice, right?
Practice and games are different.

To quote Iverson “I mean it's strange... it's strange to me too, but we're talking about practice man, we're not even talking about the game... the actual game, when it matters... We're talking about practice …”

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Also looks like Florida might target Zadorov or Hanifin in exchange for Duclair

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
If Calgary can get Duclair for Zadorov, that’s a pretty big win. Hanifin, not as much.

The rule every offseason is to find the dumbass and trade with them. If the Toffoli mismanagement/trade is any indication, they might be the idiot at this year’s table. Time to get Tanev for cheap.

Reactions: roryjones

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Practice and games are different.

To quote Iverson “I mean it's strange... it's strange to me too, but we're talking about practice man, we're not even talking about the game... the actual game, when it matters... We're talking about practice …”
of course they're different. but a young player can certainly be expected to improve when practicing with nhl talent, and being coached by nhl coaches.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
He's also probably far more willing to listen to his coaches and do what's asked of him because he wants to play. He also, as stated above, doesn't have to be great. He just has to not be a problem for DeBoer. Decent on the 3rd pair seems attainable.

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
I've said for a while that Dallas needs to get tougher. The playoffs did nothing to change my mind on that. How about Brendan Lemieux as a cheap 4th liner to replace Glendening/Kivi.

Dallas isn't buying out Suter so they need to find a way to ship out Miller to free up some money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad