Off-season thread

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He was good here and the caphit is fine . No issues with that contract

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I'll be a hater. I don't think any other team would've offered him multiple years. They should've let him test free agency and maybe circle back. I like the player, but I don't like the negotiation.

I don't think both of Mavrik and Stankoven are starting with the big club out of training camp. I didn't really think they would anyways but I consider this another indicator.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
I'll be a hater. I don't think any other team would've offered him multiple years. They should've let him test free agency and maybe circle back. I like the player, but I don't like the negotiation.

I don't think both of Mavrik and Stankoven are starting with the big club out of training camp. I didn't really think they would anyways but I consider this another indicator.

A full season with Wyatt and Benn he likely out performs that contract. Could see a 15 goal/ 45 pt season.

To get known chemistry for your young 2nd line centre at 2mil is a good deal.

Sports2

WDI
Jul 1, 2018

Thats a fair point but one year puts a lot of other teams back in the running and you almost certainly get outbid at one year. Was that worth the risk of losing a player you know meshed well here and had some chemistry? I think its a low-risk, medium-reward gamble.

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
So does this mean Domi is gone? There is about 5 mil left and Dallas needs a RHD.

BigTomBomber

Nov 17, 2017
2.25 is a little cheaper than what I thought he would come back as, but maybe the 2nd year helped that.

I'm guessing they start Stankoven in the AHL and Bourque in the NHL now. Maybe Dellandrea can used as a trade chip as he just seems locked into the 4th line?

Assuming:
Robertson-Hintz-Pavelski
Benn-Johnston-Dadonov
Marchment-Seguin-Bouque/Stankoven or swap Seguin to RW
X-Faksa-Dellandrea
Too many right-handed shots in the bottom 6 with Seguin, Bourque, Stankhoven, and Dellandrea ; the former 3 should never be saddled with Faksa. Id bet we see Bourque spend a big chunk of time in the AHL and the first “skill” callup in case of an injury. The 4LW being somebody like Karlstrom

Marchment has to have a better year

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Unrealistic? Perhaps. A poor way to manage. Not necessarily. Every team has internal cap standards. Some are just more obvious than others. (Edmonton? No one makes more than McDavid.) Sure, things can change as the cap goes up. But that's also what long-term cap management is about. You don't necessarily sign those contracts now with the assumption of the cap being $90M in two years.

As an aside, I'd be curious what the history is of Cup-winning teams and the largest % of cap any one player's contract has. Is there any precedent of a team winning the Cup with one player taking up the max cap percentage. I've seen articles with a breakdown of percentage based on position players (e.g. 68% of cap spent on forwards). But I haven't seen one with a breakdown of individual players.

IIRC, Toews and Kane got their $10.5M contracts after the 2014-15 Cup. I'm guessing of all the cap-era teams, Ovechkin had the largest contract and cap % at $9,538,462 (12.72% of the cap). Otherwise, no team with a single player making more than that particular percentage has won a Cup.

My point being: unless a team finds a way to keep contracts within reason, they will not win. You simply cannot build a long-term contender with no internal plan for player salary limits. Hence, for example, "No one makes more than Miro."

Thanks for the comment. :)
At this time in three years, whoever is the GM will be giving Robertson a contract paying more than Miro. The cap goes up. Contracts go up. Agents aren’t going to care about the Stars making up an artificial eight-year internal salary cap.

Reactions: Hull Fan and LT

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla

IMG_2492.jpeg

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
The thing is Detroit absolutely knows whether or not the Stars are in on a player with the front office ties. So Ottawa trying to drum up a market is not having the effect they wanted.

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
At this time in three years, whoever is the GM will be giving Robertson a contract paying more than Miro. The cap goes up. Contracts go up. Agents aren’t going to care about the Stars making up an artificial eight-year internal salary cap.
I understand that, and it's a fine and normal part of the business. But when those players are taking a significant part of the cap, GMs can't build a winning team around them. Perhaps there isn't enough data yet, with the cap era still being relatively new, but as my original post mentioned there aren't any teams in this era (that I'm aware of) that have won a Cup with one player making more than something like 12.5% of the team's cap.

That's why my opinion is that Robertson can chase his big money somewhere else if he wants, while the future Stars GM can keep building a roster that is balanced and with role players, with ELCs, and with star players that don't take too high of a percentage of the team's cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad