Off-season thread

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I’ve never really looked into PLD so I just looked up his stats. All this hype is for a guy with a career high of 63 points and two trade demands. I don’t see it.
If he's your second line center, he's a great addition. He's clearly not going to put up big #1 center numbers. The problem is his contract. If he's paid like a #2 center, then great. If he's instead paid like a #1, it's going to be a frustrating 8 years.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Can always go back to the regular top line if it isnt working, but I wouldnt hate it if they tried to get the max value out of Seguin by putting him on the top line. Could roll the top 9 lines fairly evenly at 5on5 and Pavelski still gets the top PP minutes. Can't imagine they would deploy 3 rookies in Stankoven, Bourque, and Blumel at the same time so probably bring in some cheap vet depth.

Robertson-Hintz-Seguin
Benn-Johnston-Stankoven
Marchment-Bourque-Pavelski
UFA vet-Faksa-Dellandrea
Blumel/Karlstrom

Im assuming they arent going to get rid of Suter so maybe moving Lindell over to the right since its not like he makes killer breakout passes anyways and can just chill and let Harley activate. Suter and Lunkvist would need some protected minutes, but Suter at actually 3 pairing minutes instead of top pair would probably be fine defensively.

Heiskanen-X (Dream pickup would be Pesce, but would be fine with Mayfield.)
Harley-Lindell
Suter-Lunkvist
Miller/Hakanpaa (maybe trade one and re-sign Hanley for cheap)

Oettinger
Wedgewood
If dont have faith in Murray to play then pickup some league min vet who could be called up in a pinch.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
Can always go back to the regular top line if it isnt working, but I wouldnt hate it if they tried to get the max value out of Seguin by putting him on the top line. Could roll the top 9 lines fairly evenly at 5on5 and Pavelski still gets the top PP minutes. Can't imagine they would deploy 3 rookies in Stankoven, Bourque, and Blumel at the same time so probably bring in some cheap vet depth.

Robertson-Hintz-Seguin
Benn-Johnston-Stankoven
UFA vet-Faksa-Dellandrea
Blumel/Karlstrom

Im assuming they arent going to get rid of Suter so maybe moving Lindell over to the right since its not like he makes killer breakout passes anyways and can just chill and let Harley activate. Suter and Lunkvist would need some protected minutes, but Suter at actually 3 pairing minutes instead of top pair would probably be fine defensively.

Heiskanen-X (Dream pickup would be Pesce, but would be fine with Mayfield.)
Harley-Lindell
Suter-Lunkvist
Miller/Hakanpaa (maybe trade one and re-sign Hanley for cheap)

Oettinger
Wedgewood
If dont have faith in Murray to play then pickup some league min vet who could be called up in a pinch.
Don’t like it at all but this is probably realistic.

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
That's an unrealistic directive and a poor way to manage a team in general.
With the cap shooting up in 2yrs to 90m, that will not be the benchmark you want it to be
Unrealistic? Perhaps. A poor way to manage. Not necessarily. Every team has internal cap standards. Some are just more obvious than others. (Edmonton? No one makes more than McDavid.) Sure, things can change as the cap goes up. But that's also what long-term cap management is about. You don't necessarily sign those contracts now with the assumption of the cap being $90M in two years.

As an aside, I'd be curious what the history is of Cup-winning teams and the largest % of cap any one player's contract has. Is there any precedent of a team winning the Cup with one player taking up the max cap percentage. I've seen articles with a breakdown of percentage based on position players (e.g. 68% of cap spent on forwards). But I haven't seen one with a breakdown of individual players.

IIRC, Toews and Kane got their $10.5M contracts after the 2014-15 Cup. I'm guessing of all the cap-era teams, Ovechkin had the largest contract and cap % at $9,538,462 (12.72% of the cap). Otherwise, no team with a single player making more than that particular percentage has won a Cup.

My point being: unless a team finds a way to keep contracts within reason, they will not win. You simply cannot build a long-term contender with no internal plan for player salary limits. Hence, for example, "No one makes more than Miro."

Thanks for the comment. :)

Reactions: redbeardtx

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
If he's your second line center, he's a great addition. He's clearly not going to put up big #1 center numbers. The problem is his contract. If he's paid like a #2 center, then great. If he's instead paid like a #1, it's going to be a frustrating 8 years.

Looks like Roope Hintz numbers. Yikes

• Wow

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg

Robertson-Hintz-Seguin
Benn-Johnston-Stankoven
UFA vet-Faksa-Dellandrea
Blumel/Karlstrom
Man, if Seguin could only get even a just a little chemistry with those two this forward lineup would be ideal.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
LFG happy to have Dadonov for 2 years. Based off the poll results we’re probably all pretty happy lmao

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
With Daddy signed, what happens with Bourque and Stank will be very interesting. I can't see both playing on a healthy roster. And I would hate to see Bourque moved to wing to play on the 4th line. One of them is bound to get saddled to Marchment and Seguin. :(

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Don’t have a crystal ball or anything but you’d think that the lines stay pretty much the same with Stanky sliding in for Domi’s role. Feel like they’re similar types of players with Stankoven having more of a two way game, but who knows. Could also be Bourque.

Robo-Hintz-Pavs
Benn-Johnston-Daddy
Mush-Stank/Bourque-Segs

Jamie, Radek and Dadanov also all come off that same year. Frees up $15mill in cap space too.
Don’t forget Lindell and Suter. That’s another 9.5 to make it almost 25 million.

That offseason could be pretty fun.

Reactions: Dallasman

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
What's the cap situation assuming no buy out or trades? About $4m left?

Given the buyout window is closing in a few days seems unlikely to occur (unless Nill is swinging a trade and will only pull the buy out domino when a trade is ready)

Have a gut feeling all we will do is add a cheap veteran depth forward. Hopefully they have some speed as we don't have alot of it.

Sports2

WDI
Jul 1, 2018
2 years is perfect- if you wanted him back you couldnt have possibly asked for a better contract.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
2.25 is a little cheaper than what I thought he would come back as, but maybe the 2nd year helped that.

I'm guessing they start Stankoven in the AHL and Bourque in the NHL now. Maybe Dellandrea can used as a trade chip as he just seems locked into the 4th line?

Assuming:
Robertson-Hintz-Pavelski
Benn-Johnston-Dadonov
Marchment-Seguin-Bouque/Stankoven or swap Seguin to RW
X-Faksa-Dellandrea

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad