Off-season thread

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
I’d push the farm chips in for Karlsson, but not Debrincat. The need on D far outweighs the need for a winger. If Cat’s cheap for whatever reason it might be a different story.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Count me in on Karlsson. Toss em Bichsel, Dellandrea, Miller, and some good picks. Those trades always end up being quantity for quality.

You'd give up Bichsel? Spicy!

(Not saying if I would or wouldn't but I have to imagine this would easily get the deal done. Mike Grier has talked openly about building a grittier team, which would make Bichsel the perfect sacrificial lamb and exactly what Dallas would need to concede in order for them to eat enough salary to make it work.)

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
You'd give up Bichsel? Spicy!

(Not saying if I would or wouldn't but I have to imagine this would easily get the deal done. Mike Grier has talked openly about building a grittier team, which would make Bichsel the perfect sacrificial lamb and exactly what Dallas would need to concede in order for them to eat enough salary to make it work.)

Count me out on that. I’d move Harley before I’d move Bichsel

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
The organization can't really afford DeBrincat without moving out a big contract. I don't think Marchment moves the needle for the Senators, Faksa might but there's a big gap there to fill, even though I'd rather them not sacrifice your bottom 6 stalwart for DeBrincat.

I would hope their goal is to get younger and have a good core for a few years before contracts become a bit of a nightmare. It would be... distasteful at best for them to do something irrational like move Robertson for DeBrincat. Just from a money perspective, mainly.

End of story, a DeBrincat acquisition would require a significant longish term contract out.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I suspect one of the lessons Nill has learned from the loss to Vegas (similar to the loss to STL a few years back) is that a heavier team seems to do better in the PO. If he is high on Grush and Bish, then it would be hard to move them, albeit, again, if they are coming in a few years.....possibly past the current Cup window, he might consider one or the other for EK, or maybe any other upgrade. On the other hand, moving a now mostly proven Harley would also be difficult.

Even though I suggested the possibility of giving up some of our young chips, I don't disagree with the guy who called me dumb. A hockey trade with OTT will almost certainly be rookie chips for a proven vet. If Nill doesn't want to move prime pieces for win now pieces, then he does nothing. And, he hopes that just getting in will be all he needs to have playoff success, and hopes that two rookie forwards and a sophmore D won't hurt him too badly.

Short version, it will be hard to do anything much, which might be okay, because they really aren't that far off. He can convince himself that if they had been playing their A game, they might have beaten LV, and then also FLA. But, many here will go ape with that approach.

BigTomBomber

Nov 17, 2017
They're really dragging this Suter buyout window out. Just get it done with already.
Because theyd be foolish to trade the their 4th best D man unless they desperately need the cap space (the extra $900k over just doing a Miller trade) for a top pairing RD

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Dallas is going to be on most players' preferred list. Look at those teams. It's no state income tax + Detroit. Doesn't mean much

Reactions: redbeardtx and LT

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Not a subscriber. What does it say?
DeBrincat is one-and-done with Ottawa. He's a restricted free agent whom they've taken to arbitration -- his salary was $9 million this season, which gives you a good idea of what his next contract might look like.

The Rangers have just over $11 million in cap space, but they also have to give new contracts to both K'Andre Miller and Alexis Lafreniere. So how do they get a DeBrincat trade done? It starts with including Filip Chytil in the deal. The Senators need centers. They also need players who are locked into playing in Ottawa for some time. Chytil makes $4,437,500 against the cap through 2026-27. He's ideal.

Could the trade involve two Kid Line members? I don't think the Rangers are going to give up on Lafreniere. I'm less convinced they feel the same way about Kaapo Kakko. He's coming off a promising 18-goal season. I think they can unload here to clear even more space.

Can they get it done with those two alone? That really depends on the other offers out there for DeBrincat and his willingness to get something done contractually with those suitors. If -- and this is a big if -- the Rangers can hold onto their 23rd overall pick in a DeBrincat trade, perhaps they could package it and forward Barclay Goodrow ($3,641,667 AAV through 2026-27) for a replacement at center. Maybe Radek Faksa of the Dallas Stars, who has two years left on his deal?

The Stars could use a first-rounder, if only to potentially package it with a player they might want to move on from. Do they still have faith in Mason Marchment? Is it time to have the conversation with Jamie Benn, who has two years left at $9.5 million AAV and would absolutely need a sweetener and salary retention if they ever were to trade the captain?

The dominoes can sometimes fall in unpredictable directions.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Not a subscriber. What does it say?

tl;dr

these are all completely speculative by ESPN

PLD to Boston
Saros, Helle traded
Michkov at #2
Karlsson to Panthers (and Montour to Edmonton???)
DeBrincat to Rangers

Mentions Dallas as a backup for DeBrincat. Suggests one of Benn, Marchment, and Faksa plus a future 1st.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
i've read that blurb like 5 times trying to understand what Wysh is getting at but is he suggesting Radek Faksa for a 1st and Goodrow

Reactions: LT and Zapp

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
i've read that blurb like 5 times trying to understand what Wysh is getting at but is he suggesting Radek Faksa for a 1st and Goodrow

Seems that way. Then flipping that 1st to dump Marchment or Benn it seems

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Because theyd be foolish to trade the their 4th best D man unless they desperately need the cap space (the extra $900k over just doing a Miller trade) for a top pairing RD
The 4th best damn on this team is a joke.
He's had 2 weeks of good play in 2yrs. He's overpaid garbage and was the minute Nill signed that deal. He's also a noted locker room cancer/whiny bitch if he doesn't get exactly what he wants.
Buying him out saves a million over getting rid of Miller alone, but both should be gone.

There should be no scenario where 2 of Suter, Miller, and Hakanpaa are on the roster this season, with the final guy being a rotating 6/7, which won't be Suter because again he's a bitchy little diva and at 3.6m, to be a 6th/7th is a crazier waste of cap space than Cogliano was. Also either of Miller/Hakanpaa are both done after this year, either can be waived to open up more cap space too.
There's 0 options with Suter without his approval so we're stuck watching him suck for another 2yrs with the only out being a buyout window that exists once a year for 2-3weeks.

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
I don’t get the idea of adding assets to Benn to love him. The guy just had a season where he was almost a PPG and had 33 goals. That’s not usually someone you add a 1st to move for 2 more years. Not to mention people talking about top prospects and picks for debrincat who will command the same amount of salary as Benn and did not have as good of a year.

Now if you want to move Seguin different story. Any chance he wants to go to Ottawa? Carolina is looking for a 2C.

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
Benn and Seguin are not going anywhere with their NMCs.

Listening to Shapiro's podcast, it did not sound like he heard anything regarding a potential connection between Debrincat and Dallas. He was merely speculating based on the information that Debrincat has Dallas on his preferred list. However, I do not see how you could fit him in cap-wise. I think he'll end up going to Detroit.

I also think there is a better chance of Nill going after Karlsson. As we know Nill tried to get him before, and it's easier to fit him under the cap if San Jose is willing to retain a fair chunk of his salary. While I like Debrincat, I think Karlsson would actually benefit Dallas much more considering the team's needs.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
If we somehow get Karlsson then we are basically filling both of our needs with one guy. He would arguably bring more offense than any forward we could possibly afford to acquire and at the same time immediately becomes one of the best playmakers and puck movers on the team. Defensive disaster but he'd be fun as hell

So expensive though, is San Jose really willing to retain a crazy amount/nearly the allowed amount?

Reactions: LT and redbeardtx

Johno

Deserved it Tour - the sloppy seconds
Oct 30, 2013
I don’t understand the sudden love for Karlsson. He had good season, but shit if anything ever is a flash in a pan, it’s his this season.
If I wanted a dman who caused as many goals against as they provided, I’d re-sign Klingberg for a lot less for fewer years. EK is not gonna touch PPG for the rest of that contract, never mind anything close to a 100p season. For the love of God, don’t do in Nill.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I don’t understand the sudden love for Karlsson. He had good season, but shit if anything ever is a flash in a pan, it’s his this season.
If I wanted a dman who caused as many goals against as they provided, I’d re-sign Klingberg for a lot less for fewer years. EK is not gonna touch PPG for the rest of that contract, never mind anything close to a 100p season. For the love of God, don’t do in Nill.
Karlsson, especially today, is a much better player than Klingberg, and outside of 1 year since he's been with SJ, he's paced for 50 points or better.
You're not expecting him to put up 100p, you're expecting 50-70p
The rumor is SJ would retain on him down to 8m, which makes that contract more manageable too.
He fills a big need at RD, and you pair him with someone like Lindell, who's useless at moving the puck and you have a more than competent 2nd pair. You also get a d-man that manage the 2nd pp unit basically by himself.

There's some good reasons to not add Karlsson, worry over his production isn't really one of them.

Johno

Deserved it Tour - the sloppy seconds
Oct 30, 2013
Karlsson, especially today, is a much better player than Klingberg, and outside of 1 year since he's been with SJ, he's paced for 50 points or better.
You're not expecting him to put up 100p, you're expecting 50-70p
The rumor is SJ would retain on him down to 8m, which makes that contract more manageable too.
He fills a big need at RD, and you pair him with someone like Lindell, who's useless at moving the puck and you have a more than competent 2nd pair. You also get a d-man that manage the 2nd pp unit basically by himself.

There's some good reasons to not add Karlsson, worry over his production isn't really one of them.
Paced is a nice way of saying that he’s been injured a lot. And no doubt will be going forward too. I do understand that he is better than Klingberg, but I’d wager in his current form, JK wouldn’t cost more than 2 years @ 4.5-5.5m or around that (I think even that is generous).

Rather not have either tbh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad