Off-season thread

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Karlsson, especially today, is a much better player than Klingberg, and outside of 1 year since he's been with SJ, he's paced for 50 points or better.
You're not expecting him to put up 100p, you're expecting 50-70p
The rumor is SJ would retain on him down to 8m, which makes that contract more manageable too.
He fills a big need at RD, and you pair him with someone like Lindell, who's useless at moving the puck and you have a more than competent 2nd pair. You also get a d-man that manage the 2nd pp unit basically by himself.

There's some good reasons to not add Karlsson, worry over his production isn't really one of them.
u trading for EK65 to put him on the second powerplay...?

im nitpicking for funsies but EK65 is a luxury asset

Reactions: LT

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
u trading for EK65 to put him on the second powerplay...?

im nitpicking for funsies
I think I would to start with at least.
1st unit worked great as is, not much reason to change it up.
the 2nd unit was a disaster outside of Johnston, feel like a player like Karlsson would be a better fit for that unit, if only because he can, and is used to, doing everything by himself.
If you were to put Karlsson on the top unit, Heiskanen isn't going to be able to have the same effect on the 2nd unit.
They could always bump Benn and run 2-d on unit 1, and give Harley/Lundkvist the 2nd unit, but then it's nothing more than a way to kill off some time while the 1unit rests

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
As enticing as EK was and maybe is, I got the impression Galardi was always the one who liked the big name acquisitions. I think back to all the big name UFA we lost over the years, and in reality, the team soldiered on when they left. Conversely, what % of big name trades or UFA really, really work out? Bret Hull, Ed Belfour, sure. Audette and Turgeon? Working backwards, what was our last big splash that really worked? (Mush, Miller, Hankanpa, Luke, etc.)

Many times, you can spend $8Mil on one guy, or spend it on 3 guys who could combine for EK's projected 50 points, which provides better injury protection, and more and more, it seems the NHL is a younger players league. The kids seem to be fearless these days and may need less seasoning that Nill thought they needed in the past.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
As enticing as EK was and maybe is, I got the impression Galardi was always the one who liked the big name acquisitions. I think back to all the big name UFA we lost over the years, and in reality, the team soldiered on when they left. Conversely, what % of big name trades or UFA really, really work out? Bret Hull, Ed Belfour, sure. Audette and Turgeon? Working backwards, what was our last big splash that really worked? (Mush, Miller, Hankanpa, Luke, etc.)

Many times, you can spend $8Mil on one guy, or spend it on 3 guys who could combine for EK's projected 50 points, which provides better injury protection, and more and more, it seems the NHL is a younger players league. The kids seem to be fearless these days and may need less seasoning that Nill thought they needed in the past.
i love you

and i love seeing brett hull, belfour ...... and donald audette in the same thought. if anything... acquiring future hall of famers tends to work out don't you think? The Stars should consider putting more future HOFers on the roster

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
I think the “success” of an EK trade is based off of 1) obviously on ice results (ringzzzz) and 2) how much you pay for him. You can’t predict the on ice results, but I really think you can get him for way cheaper than what’s thought to be out there due to his cap hit and San Jose’s situation. One San Jose fan on main brought up a couple picks, Faksa, and Lundkvist as compensation for a retained Karlsson. Another one I saw was Miller, Faksa, picks, and a prospect (Bichsel?) for a retained Karlsson. I love Bichsel and Nils, but that’s absolutely nothing for a guy that scored just a dumb number points from the blue line.

Edit: also while I’m thinking about it, San Jose owes us for that gift of a trade that was Jacob Peterson.

Last edited:

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I think Karlsson makes a lot more sense if the Sharks see Nils as a valuable piece. Karlsson would make Nils pathway a lot harder so it would make sense to have him going the other way.

I really don't know how to pinpoint lundkvist's value. Dallas probably overpaid a bit based on historical precedent and he had an underwhelming year. I would guess his value is probably around a mid to late 2nd? Maybe the Sharks see him as more then that? They have almost no good right shot defenseman on the team or in the system.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Stars fans spent almost a decade shitting on Klingberg because every now and then one of his passed would get picked off. There's no way Stars fans could handle the idea of a defenseman carrying the puck deep into the offensive zone.

Reactions: The Tourist and LT

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
When the D do carry it in, it can be a thing of beauty. Kivi's OT goal was set up by Andrej Sekera and Jamie Oleksiak interchanging the puck and then carrying it deep along the boards and behind the net.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
Stars fans spent almost a decade shitting on Klingberg because every now and then one of his passed would get picked off. There's no way Stars fans could handle the idea of a defenseman carrying the puck deep into the offensive zone.
I'm pretty sure no one would have complained if Klingberg posted a 100pt+ season. Klingberg was downright bad his last season here, and not great the year before either.

Reactions: LT and starsfan86

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I probably missed a few, but Nills UFA signings include (2023) Mush and Miller, 2021 (Hakanpaa, Suter, Glendenning, Petrovic, Holtby, Raffle, (2020) Pavs, and earlier, Hamuis, Tyler Pitlick, Alex Radulov (Probably the best UFA signing he has made), Hanzel, Oduya, Niemi, Hemsky, and Eaves.

Eaves ended up working out since we got a first round pick. The others filled the roster with adequate production, and some were absolutely necessary because we had a weak farm system.

I'm just supporting my point that the bigger name UFA don't always work out to the max. So, maybe we are due for another great Rads type signing, if we can swing it? Probably not. I think Nill would want to build through the draft now, even if he could clear the cap to to it.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
i love you

and i love seeing brett hull, belfour ...... and donald audette in the same thought. if anything... acquiring future hall of famers tends to work out don't you think? The Stars should consider putting more future HOFers on the roster
I guess i should apologize to HOFer Pierre Turgeon now…. Wowza

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I probably missed a few, but Nills UFA signings include (2023) Mush and Miller, 2021 (Hakanpaa, Suter, Glendenning, Petrovic, Holtby, Raffle, (2020) Pavs, and earlier, Hamuis, Tyler Pitlick, Alex Radulov (Probably the best UFA signing he has made), Hanzel, Oduya, Niemi, Hemsky, and Eaves.

Eaves ended up working out since we got a first round pick. The others filled the roster with adequate production, and some were absolutely necessary because we had a weak farm system.

I'm just supporting my point that the bigger name UFA don't always work out to the max. So, maybe we are due for another great Rads type signing, if we can swing it? Probably not. I think Nill would want to build through the draft now, even if he could clear the cap to to it.
:huh: You even listed Pavs

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I'm only in on Karlsson if he agrees to go back to looking like this

erik-karlsson-2019-44.jpg

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
OK so my new expectation for this off season is one of DeBrincat or Karlsson.

Not setting the expectations high for a team with no cap space or anything like that..

I know Debrincat is probably a luxury..but man can not help but think of him on a line with Wyatt for the next 5 years. Imagine that top 6. (Just choosing not to look down the line up at defense)

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I'm more interested in Hanafin. Not the most exciting defender, but I think he fulfils what the Stars would need on the back end. A well rounded #2/3 d-man. He's probably not going to be cheap trade-wise, and they'd basically need to sign him to a long-term deal the second he's traded or risk losing him to free agency.

I'm not a fan of trading for EK, he's expensive and 33 with a bad injury history. He's got another 4 years to go on top of it. Maybe he comes retained and doesn't cost much in trade assets, but I wouldn't want to be the team to try it. Just what the Stars need, another albatross contract on an old declining vet that they absolutely can't get rid of.

Reactions: Dallasman

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
I'm more interested in Hanafin. Not the most exciting defender, but I think he fulfils what the Stars would need on the back end. A well rounded #2/3 d-man. He's probably not going to be cheap trade-wise, and they'd basically need to sign him to a long-term deal the second he's traded or risk losing him to free agency.

I'm not a fan of trading for EK, he's expensive and 33 with a bad injury history. He's got another 4 years to go on top of it. Maybe he comes retained and doesn't cost much in trade assets, but I wouldn't want to be the team to try it. Just what the Stars need, another albatross contract on an old declining vet that they absolutely can't get rid of.

I think they'd have to move Lindell+B+ forward prospect for Hanifin assuming extension available...

I also agree that EK65 is probably not the most prudent choice for the back end even though they really could use a good two way guy. Lots of good penalty killers, not a lot of good puck security on the backend.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Looks like Hanifin, Lindholm, and now Backlund don’t wanna resign in Calgary. Toffoli and Tanev also have a year left on their deals and I don’t see why they’d stay with the way things are heading.

Shouldn’t have voodoo cursed Oettinger last year. Anyway, go get Tanev for cheap if Karlsson can’t happen.

Reactions: piqued and LT

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Apparently on sportsnet, Garrioch mention Detroit and Dallas have alot of interest in Debrincat. Not sure if this is new or from before

I also didn't hear it, just what two posters said in the trade forum, so who knows

Reactions: Zapp

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
If ture, it's kinda shocking to hear we have a lot of interest in Debrincat because that means that Nill has to be considering paying to move or buying out one of the big bad contracts. I'm far from a cap expert but based on what all of you have posted on here, the only way to fit him would be to move some combo of Seguin, Suter, Faksa, Miller.

If my assumption is correct, I am glad he is willing to make some bold moves to gain cap but I would rather he put any extra cap we gain into an upgrade on defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad