Blue Jays Discussion: Off-season Edition 5.0 - The Winter Meeting Chronicles

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
His agent was.over heard saying why can't he get a 4 year deal for his client. Well he had one. 4/80. I mean if they could get him at that price you do it and you give smoak away for free.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
EE's age, the term he wants, the fact that a team has to give up a draft-pick, that he can only play 1B and not everyday, and his seemingly short list of places he would want to go are all factors

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
i still don't think people understand how bad revere was last year. he pulled a bonifacio. he's got the same value as oberholzer.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Would Fowler and Revere be too expensive?

Also, what's going on with this bullpen? We haven't gotten anyone yet aside from maybe the guy we just drafted in the rule 5.

Revere isn't going to be making a whole lot after last year, but Pompey offers essentially the same as Revere so I'm not sure if it's even worth cracking open the wallet.

As far as the bullpen goes, it's probably going to be internal options, like Barnes and Loup, entering the positions that were vacated by Cecil and Benoit. IIRC, there are a couple of other relief prospects that are close to promotion.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2016-al-hitter-contact-quality-report-al-shortstops/

Interesting that Tulo had a 102 wRC+ last year but based on his contact you'd expect 124. I'm not even going to pretend I understand how they arrived at such a number, nor did I have the patience to read through the entire article but I thought that was interesting. If Tulo can perform anywhere near that number moving forward that's a boost I didn't really expect.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
This just in: Bob McCown just said that Jose Bautista "might not find a job" :biglaugh:

With Jose's contract demands and the pick attached to his name, he might not find on come spring training. Or someone will really end up with a bargain price. He's not the first one to say that.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2016-al-hitter-contact-quality-report-al-shortstops/

Interesting that Tulo had a 102 wRC+ last year but based on his contact you'd expect 124. I'm not even going to pretend I understand how they arrived at such a number, nor did I have the patience to read through the entire article but I thought that was interesting. If Tulo can perform anywhere near that number moving forward that's a boost I didn't really expect.

It's the same batted ball stuff that makes the Morales signing look smart. In this case, I don't find it that surprising... it sure felt like Tulo squared up a ridiculous number of balls for hard outs.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Revere isn't going to be making a whole lot after last year, but Pompey offers essentially the same as Revere so I'm not sure if it's even worth cracking open the wallet.

As far as the bullpen goes, it's probably going to be internal options, like Barnes and Loup, entering the positions that were vacated by Cecil and Benoit. IIRC, there are a couple of other relief prospects that are close to promotion.

If you could bring in Revere on a MiLC with a spring invite, I'd do it. Let them battle it out in the spring. If Pompey can't beat Revere out, well...

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Yes it is. He made Shannon Stewart look like Vladdy Guerrero.

Also for all the talk about Revere's batting average, his complete and utter inability/unwillingness to walk destroys that. If all he's going to do is hit singles to get on base ahead of other hitters, then his singles really aren't any better than walks. and for that type of hitter, all that matters is that he gets on base.

Revere's career .320 OBP would've put him 9th on last year's Blue Jays behind (in order): JD, Bautista, Encarnacion, Saunders, Martin, Travis, Ezequiel Carrera, and Darwin Barney. And it puts him just decimal points ahead of Tulowitzki's down year. What good is that gaudy .300 batting average to "let you use your speed" if you still get on base less often than guys that hit 20 to 70 points worse than you?

Fair enough, I guess I'm stuck recalling how much he brought to the top of the lineup when he was here.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
Yes it is. He made Shannon Stewart look like Vladdy Guerrero.

Also for all the talk about Revere's batting average, his complete and utter inability/unwillingness to walk destroys that. If all he's going to do is hit singles to get on base ahead of other hitters, then his singles really aren't any better than walks. and for that type of hitter, all that matters is that he gets on base.

Revere's career .320 OBP would've put him 9th on last year's Blue Jays behind (in order): JD, Bautista, Encarnacion, Saunders, Martin, Travis, Ezequiel Carrera, and Darwin Barney. And it puts him just decimal points ahead of Tulowitzki's down year. What good is that gaudy .300 batting average to "let you use your speed" if you still get on base less often than guys that hit 20 to 70 points worse than you?

msty.gif

Also to add onto the point about Revere, he is a complete travesty on defense. His noodle arm is something opposing teams salivate at when it comes to them taking advantage of offensive chances. It makes no sense for some people to complain about Bautista being a defensive liability, and then wanting another defensive liability in the outfield.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Note that after the ridiculous babip slump to start the year, Tulo pretty much did post a 120ish wrc+ with a normal babip from midmay on.

interestingly, after xander's crazy babip start, from june on his babip fell to normal and he produced at belngino's projected wrc+ the rest of the way too.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada

After Tulo returned from his DL stint, he had a 115 wRC+. Struck out at only 14.7% too. Not a fan of cherry picking stats but it seemed like Tulo fixed his contact issues by having a different approach. He started pulling the ball less at 41.8% rate, which is in line with what he did from 2009-2013. His oppo field % was his best since 2007 at 25.1%. His GB% went down, line drive rate went up at 23.6% (in his 2014 monster season, his LD% was 23.3%). I'm not sure if it was small sample size case either as this was in 354 PA.

I think he genuinely showed a much better and different approach and personally, I think he is due for a much better year.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
I'm leaning towards wanting EE back and then the Jays trading for Hamilton(might be steep) I see Pearce more of a Saunders replacement to be honest

Hamilton RF
Donaldson 3B
Morales DH
EE 1B
Tulo SS
Pearce LF
Travis 2B
Martin C
Pillar CF

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Fowler to take a physical at St Louis tomorrow.

Looks like the Cardinals got him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad