Off-season discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
So many drama queens in here. Yes things didn't go well but just getting the proper coach is a good start. There is no need for a total overhaul but a top offensive player would certainly be nice.

HabsDieHard*

This year, Monahan's 2nd year, Hartley played him 19:37 per game at center. That paid off very well. Galchenyuk in his 3rd year played 16:25 per game at wing barring a dozen games. This organization needs to grow a pair and do what Calgary did. Enough with the half measures and the aging centermen who aren't going to get any better, play Galchenyuk where you drafted him to play and keep him there no matter what. The alternative is to trade for a number 1, which will be costly, or continue with Pleks/DD, which we know the outcome.

Exactly.

How is it that all of these young players can play center for other organizations and have success?

Why does Galchenyuk need to play on the wing to become a center in the NHL?

he doesn't.

It's moronic nonsense they have used to justify pathetic Desharnais' spot in the line up.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
David Desharnais
Brian Flynn
Manny Malhotra
Torrey Mitchell
PA Parenteau
Tomas Plekanec
Brandon Prust
Alexei Emelin
Sergei Gonchar
Mike Weaver
Tom Gilbert

All either gone, or should be gone. That could be a lot of turnover. A great chance to have a new coach bring in a new system and change the mentality of the team. It also still leaves the core of

Lars Eller
Alex Galchenyuk
Brendan Gallagher
Max Pacioretty
P.K. Subban
Jeff Petry (must re-sign)
Nathan Beaulieu
Carey Price

Plus nice supplemental pieces in

Dale Weise
Andrei Markov
Devante Smith-Pelly
Jacob De La Rose

And the prospects that could make a run at a roster spot depending on what is brought in.

Nikita Scherbak
Jared Tinordi
Mike McCarron
Charles Hudon
Sven Andrighetto
Jeremy Gregoire
Arturri Lehkonen
Martin Reway

It's not all doom and gloom. But something has to happen with the coaching staff and the dead weight on this team that brought them down in the playoffs. If Bergevin is serious about contending, they need to get more scoring and change the god damn coaching staff, at the least get rid of the assistants and bring in some competent people (like he did with Waite).

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Keep: Petry, Mitchell
Let walk: Flynn
Trade: Desharnais, one of Emelin/Gilbert, one of Reway/Ghetto/Hudon
Sign: Frolik
Promote: Beaulieu, Galchenyuk

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Trade Acquisition
Frolik-Eller-Gallagher
DLR-Plekanec-DSP
Prust-Mitchell-Weise

Beaulieu-Subban
Markov-Petry
Tinordi-Gilbert/Pateryn

Price

If Scherbak or McCarron make the team out of camp, all the better.

DD51*

Frolik-Eller-Gallagher
DLR-Plekanec-DSP
Prust-Mitchell-Weise

Beaulieu-Subban
Markov-Petry
Tinordi-Gilbert/Pateryn

Price

To get that first liner/sniper, they gonna need to give something significant. DD won't cut it by himself, neither Emelin. It might cost the 1st round pick this season. Plekanec on a third line ? Forget it. he is the one with the most value to get us a top liner.

DD51*

David Desharnais
Brian Flynn
Manny Malhotra
Torrey Mitchell
PA Parenteau
Tomas Plekanec
Brandon Prust
Alexei Emelin
Sergei Gonchar
Mike Weaver
Tom Gilbert

All either gone, or should be gone. That could be a lot of turnover. A great chance to have a new coach bring in a new system and change the mentality of the team. It also still leaves the core of

Lars Eller
Alex Galchenyuk
Brendan Gallagher
Max Pacioretty
P.K. Subban
Jeff Petry (must re-sign)
Nathan Beaulieu
Carey Price

Plus nice supplemental pieces in

Dale Weise
Andrei Markov
Devante Smith-Pelly
Jacob De La Rose

And the prospects that could make a run at a roster spot depending on what is brought in.

Nikita Scherbak
Jared Tinordi
Mike McCarron
Charles Hudon
Sven Andrighetto
Jeremy Gregoire
Arturri Lehkonen
Martin Reway

It's not all doom and gloom. But something has to happen with the coaching staff and the dead weight on this team that brought them down in the playoffs. If Bergevin is serious about contending, they need to get more scoring and change the god damn coaching staff, at the least get rid of the assistants and bring in some competent people (like he did with Waite).

They certainly need a better PP. A top liner (winger or centre) + a new assistant coach who can teach PP properly would be a good start. Keeping Petry should be the other Bergevin's priority. But a first liner + Petry means lots of $$$$.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Europe players, Joonas Donskoi, very interesting player, is he still Florida property ? Viktor Tikhonov, too, would fit like a glove here, me think.

As for NHL UFAs, Curtis Glencross is interesting to me too, just because of his style, not the most gifted, but a hard worker who can complement in the top 6.

And yeah, DD must be thrown in a river, can't stand his no-show anymore.

But for all those who wants to trade or let go half the team, and replace them with UFAs and rookies, you really think that'll work ? Come on, it's a huge, huge guess, one I'm sure Bergevin don't want to take, not after 2 very good seasons in a row.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
They certainly need a better PP. A top liner (winger or centre) + a new assistant coach who can teach PP properly would be a good start. Keeping Petry should be the other Bergevin's priority. But a first liner + Petry means lots of $$$$.

Sign Petry, move Subban to RW and poof, we have our 1st line winger!

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Subban

:naughty::naughty: (I'm clearly joking)

Yes, they need a top 6 winger, 2 of them. But they also need a #1C. A lot of pieces missing, but some can be solved internally with a new coach who is capable of looking at a roster and putting players in the best position to succeed offensively. No more trying to win games 0-0, it's putting us all to sleep.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Lol people bringing up the record earlier. This was the first year the Habs didn't sell out much iirc and there were constantly playoff tickets available right up to game time. Passion is low. Fans aren't stupid. A lot of them see the problems with the team, and also, are just not feeling the passion. The players played a boring brand of hockey and it showed in attendance and whatnot.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Some moves + trades I'd like and think ( In my opinion) the other team could be interested :

re-sign petry
re-sign Mitchell

Then :

Colorado receives : Alexei Emelin + B prospect
Montreal receives : Alex Tanguay

Nashville receives : Thomas Plekanec + B prospect
Montreal receives : James Neal

Arizona receives : DD + PAP ( could be one or another, in a perfect world both)
Montreal receives : Korpikoski + 5th 2015 ( If one trade : DD vs Korpi or PAP vs 5h 2015)

The Montreal Canadiens are proud to present your team for the 2015-2016 season :

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Neal
Tanguay-Eller-Gallagher
Korpikoski-De La Rose-Weise
Prust-Mitchell-Smith-Pelly

Beaulieu-Subban
Markov-Petry
Tinordi/Pateryn/Gilbert

Tanguay is another version of Parenteau...pass

Lions999

Jun 28, 2011
Center line needs to be changed.

DD out

Live and die with Galchenyuk as our first center. Develop him. Keep him there NO MATTER WHAT. We have NO BETTER OPTION.

Eller as 2nd center and Plekanec as third.

Yup that's it and bring another winger that score...

HabsDieHard*

But for all those who wants to trade or let go half the team, and replace them with UFAs and rookies, you really think that'll work ? Come on, it's a huge, huge guess, one I'm sure Bergevin don't want to take, not after 2 very good seasons in a row.

Who watns to do that?

People want them to either be a "transitioning" team that is incorporating the youth and not misusing them at the expense of terribad veterans, or be a team that recognizes the spare parts who need to go and bring in better replacements.

Even if that means dealing a highly touted prospect or a 1st round pick.

Dr_Hook

Jun 4, 2006

Frolik-Eller-Gallagher
DLR-Plekanec-DSP
Prust-Mitchell-Weise

Beaulieu-Subban
Markov-Petry
Tinordi-Gilbert/Pateryn

Price

That line would be an offensive blackhole. Zero creativity or offensive awareness on the wings. Plekanec has enough trouble generating offense when it counts as it is...

DLR should have spent the whole year in Hamilton developping his offensive game, as he was starting to show progress before call-up. He probably should be in St-John next season too, if we don't want him to become just a no-offense 4th line plug.

Admittedly, I haven't seen much of Ghetto but I think he's the one who should get a good look for a spot on the top 9. He's got 2 yrs of pro hockey under his belt, he'd bring speed and energy. Could be a nice fit with Eller. Or Plek for that matter.

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
I think it's time to move on from pleks and markov, take Tampa for example. they cut ties with vinny and msl and tho it's not a huge rebuild they moved on from the old and created a better future.

KingKovy

Sep 4, 2007
Biggest weakness to fix that is actually fixable is to find a way to replace Parenteau with a RW that can one time the puck, is good on PP and can skate.. The ideal player for the habs (even though I HATE him is Phil Kessel)

Steps to take:

Do everything that is possible to sign Petry

Dump Gilbert and replace him with Pateryn (RD lower salary style we lack)

D next year:

Markov Subban
Emelin Petry
Beaulieu Pateryn
Tinordi

On offense:

Most important thing is for Galchenyuk to stop partying and not taking his career seriously and to man up and take that number 1 C position that is available for him

Dump Desharnais and Parenteau

Do everything we can to acquire a real sniper (one timer kind unlike Patch) that can skate.. I would shoot for Kessel since he is the best potentially available fit.. even though it would break my heart, I wouldn't mind giving up some top prospects of ours and 1st round pick (s) for him..

If our forwards look like:

Pacioretty Galchenyuk Kessel
UFA or from within- potential 20 goal guy LH- Plekanec Gallagher
De La Rose Eller Weise
Proust Mitchell Smith-Pelly (he needs to get in shape.. I saw him a bunch of times around downtown and he's really fat no joke)

goldglove

Mar 10, 2007
QC
I think it's time to move on from pleks and markov, take Tampa for example. they cut ties with vinny and msl and tho it's not a huge rebuild they moved on from the old and created a better future.

I agree , nothing againts those guys, but it's time for some changes.

punk255

Mar 15, 2014
Everybody is wrong here because MT plan is:
1) More DD in PP and offensive situation
2) Make DSP a PP player and first 2 lines players
3) Avoid Gach on center and put him on third line with DLR
4) Dont brind Andrighetto or Hudon in the lineup and use more grinders players
5) Ask MB to trade Eller and if it's not possible put him in line with lower average players
6) Make more players and teams bashing during press conference
7) Be more agressif and stubborn when somebody bring a good suggestion
8) Use Markov until Markov score 3 times on his own goal
9) Keep the same staf coach with same solution for lines, PP and PK and hope it will work
10) Continue to said it's players execution If you dont have success

KingKovy

Sep 4, 2007
Biggest weakness to fix that is actually fixable is to find a way to replace Parenteau with a RW that can one time the puck, is good on PP and can skate.. The ideal player for the habs (even though I HATE him is Phil Kessel)

Steps to take:

Do everything that is possible to sign Petry

Dump Gilbert and replace him with Pateryn (RD lower salary style we lack)

D next year:

Markov Subban
Emelin Petry
Beaulieu Pateryn
Tinordi

On offense:

Most important thing is for Galchenyuk to stop partying and not taking his career seriously and to man up and take that number 1 C position that is available for him

Dump Desharnais and Parenteau

Do everything we can to acquire a real sniper (one timer kind unlike Patch) that can skate.. I would shoot for Kessel since he is the best potentially available fit.. even though it would break my heart, I wouldn't mind giving up some top prospects of ours and 1st round pick (s) for him..

If our forwards look like:

Pacioretty Galchenyuk Kessel
UFA or from within- potential 20 goal guy LH- Plekanec Gallagher
De La Rose Eller Weise
Proust Mitchell Smith-Pelly (he needs to get in shape.. I saw him a bunch of times around downtown and he's really fat no joke)

For the second line LW I wouldn't mind adding him at trade deadline to allow us to fit a better one in under cap..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad