Off-season discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Just make Subban the Captain. He's the best player on the team besides the goaltender, has the longest contract, makes the most money and is the hardest worker. The guy has done everything he's been asked, never complained and is an all-star, Norris winner and great ambassador for the game.

What more do you guys want from a captain? Seriously, these are the guys you make captain. While I love Gallagher, just because he works hard and annoys the other team doesn't make him the captain.

NOBODY on this team works harder than Gallagher. Subban takes too much stupid penalties for my liking to be captain.

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
NOBODY on this team works harder than Gallagher. Subban takes too much stupid penalties for my liking to be captain.

PK has led the team in scoring each of the last 3 playoff runs. That's a big game performer personified. Plays the most minutes and makes this team better. Does anyone else on the team do that besides Price as much as PK? No way. PK should've been captain since the beginning of last year.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
That is a lotto team first line right there.

Did you read the part where I said the ordering of the lines doesn't matter? Scoring by committee is the only way the Habs will be effective, I'm not holding my breath for a 1st line player. You'll notice Pacioretty on the 2nd and Plekanec on the 3rd.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
why not ? as 2nd and 3rd line.

Find a big RW to play with Pacioretty and Plekanec on the first line

Because you flat out don't rush prospects like McCarron and Scherbak...

They're both at least another season away from any NHL action.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I agree. Although he tends to take a bad penalty from time to time, he steps up when it matters most and he is a true leader.

Subban- C
Max- A
Gallagher- A
Price- we all know he runs the team

I'm good with that.

You haven't been paying close enough attention then. Just because Gallagher takes a beating in front of the net when the rest of the forwards won't, doesn't mean he works harder than Subban. I'm not talking about just ont he ice, I'm talking about during the off-season, on the ice, in practice, the whole deal.

Just think, during the all star break Subban went back to Toronto to get in a couple work outs before going on vacation for a couple days. How many other players do you think did this? Gallagher included.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Just make Subban the Captain. He's the best player on the team besides the goaltender, has the longest contract, makes the most money and is the hardest worker. The guy has done everything he's been asked, never complained and is an all-star, Norris winner and great ambassador for the game.

What more do you guys want from a captain? Seriously, these are the guys you make captain. While I love Gallagher, just because he works hard and annoys the other team doesn't make him the captain.

Wonder how the captain will be chosen, by the administration or by the players (should be that way). And if by the players, would they vote for PK ?

KingKovy

Sep 4, 2007
We scored one goal in game 3. We scored one goal in game 6. We scored barely over 2 goals/game in the entire playoffs (filter out that 6-pack in game 4 and it's even worse; 1.72 GF/G in 11 games).

You can't consistently win games with that pathetic level of scoring support. Price is not to blame for any of this.

He is definitely not to blame.. We should definitely have scored more.. But he is the first to admit he should have made that extra save.. We are talking about the best player in the world.. And no matter what anyone says Price is not to blame for our elimination but he definitely wasn't the best player in the world during these playoffs.. Just an excellent goalie.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
He is definitely not to blame.. We should definitely have scored more.. But he is the first to admit he should have made that extra save.. We are talking about the best player in the world.. And no matter what anyone says Price is not to blame for our elimination but he definitely wasn't the best player in the world during these playoffs.. Just an excellent goalie.

That's what happens when your teams relies too much on a single player. Sure, Price could have been better, but he was excellent nonetheless.

When your goalie needs to be perfect every night to give you a chance to win, all it takes is a slump from a single player to kiss your playoff hopes goodbye, whereas a team that performs as a unit is far less subject to those variations. The Bolts were a better team partly because of that. A lot more talent and depth on offense, whether it's Johnson, Stamkos, Kucherov, Palat, you name it, they always had someone to contribute when the other was going through a slump. Bishop isn't as good as Price, but he can be better than Price on any given night. Their defense was solid in general.

For the Habs, everything goes through Price, in victory or defeat.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Because you flat out don't rush prospects like McCarron and Scherbak...

They're both at least another season away from any NHL action.

There's no way of knowing that until training camp and pre season. We just can't bank on them to be NHL ready.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
There's no way of knowing that until training camp and pre season.

Do you really want therrien coaching them? Big macs offensive potential will be completely ruined and stifled.. Turning him into a bigger DSP and Scherbak will probably play his wrong wing and be forced to play chip and chase defensive role.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Do you really want therrien coaching them? Big macs offensive potential will be completely ruined and stifled.. Turning him into a bigger DSP and Scherbak will probably play his wrong wing and be forced to play chip and chase defensive role.

I don't want Therrien coaching anyone in this organization. You bring up a good point.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Wonder how the captain will be chosen, by the administration or by the players (should be that way). And if by the players, would they vote for PK ?

I'd say normally the players should choose, but because there is such high turnover I would think it would be a mutual decision between the coaches and managers. Either way, the choice is Subban.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario

I really don't know if I can handle watching another season (or multiple) of da system. I'm just..really not looking forward to it, at all.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I really don't know if I can handle watching another season (or multiple) of da system. I'm just..really not looking forward to it, at all.

I don't think anyone is. This team had 110 points and a good chunk of us hated it. That's insanity, especially when it's not like the team has won jack squat in the past 20 years. Everyone should be banging drums and dancing in the streets after a 110 point season.

Speaks volumes.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I don't think anyone is. This team had 110 points and a good chunk of us hated it. That's insanity, especially when it's not like the team has won jack squat in the past 20 years. Everyone should be banging drums and dancing in the streets after a 110 point season.

Speaks volumes.

We won a bunch of games, but how many times were we the best team on the ice?

I haven't counted, but seems like there was an irregular amount of games this season where Price single-handedly bailed us out. We have the record of a dominant team, but we play like a bubble team.

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009

Speaks volumes.

It was clear to that chunk that the team was successful because of Price and that once the playoffs came around in order to beat a really good team it would take more than just Price. It would take more offence, improved possession, a better PP, and it was going to take more than character and grinding.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
We won a bunch of games, but how many times were we the best team on the ice?

I haven't counted, but seems like there was an irregular amount of games this season where Price single-handedly bailed us out. We have the record of a dominant team, but we play like a bubble team.

I think if they had a competent PP coach, and strategy they could have. With a top 10 PP (not asking the world with the talent on the team), they would have blown teams out of the barn a bunch of times. Instead, it was pitiful, remained the same, and tehy had to grind out games all season long.

Not a way to go into the playoffs.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I think if they had a competent PP coach, and strategy they could have. With a top 10 PP (not asking the world with the talent on the team), they would have blown teams out of the barn a bunch of times. Instead, it was pitiful, remained the same, and tehy had to grind out games all season long.

Not a way to go into the playoffs.

Even a good PP isn't enough. We've had plenty of great PP teams in the past, and it never got us far. Great teams needs to dominate at ES, and capitalize on the PP. You can't have only one of the two, and we have neither for the moment.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
haven't read this thread so sorry if it's already been posted, but just heard a rumor, Marcel Hossa has left Modo to sign with another team, someone check to see if his gloves are on the way. :sarcasm:

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Even a good PP isn't enough. We've had plenty of great PP teams in the past, and it never got us far. Great teams needs to dominate at ES, and capitalize on the PP. You can't have only one of the two, and we have neither for the moment.

This was the best team they've had in a long time, IMO. It just wasn't deployed properly at all, and stifled the potential. Now we'll never know, and we don't know what Bergevin is going to do, or how long Therrien will be here.

Oh well, there's nothing to be done about this past season now. Just pray Bergy sees the light and addresses these very apparent problems and stops leaving it to the coach he hired who is a ****ing moron.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
The thing about the Therrien/Bergevin dynamic is that MB would get lambasted if he ever fired Michel after the kind of "record" he had this season. We, on HF, are a pretty darn intense group of fans :laugh:.

Most of the more casual fans I speak to don't see any problem with the guy, and he has the media on his side as well. MB was stupid giving him that contract extension, his hands are tied now... Unless there's a major meltdown in the upcoming season, which really wouldn't be good for anyone involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad