Off-season discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I dunno, if the GM needs to dictate style to the coach, what he truly needs is a new coach. MB didn't discuss vision/system with the coach prior to his extension, but will just prior to it kicking in?

If he doesn't like what he seen, he needs to can his ass imo.

You're imagining the meeting a lot more confrontationally than exit meetings/reviews usually are. Therrien will discuss his opinions on the roster (I.e. Why he didn't implement a more possession system) and MB will appraise Therrien's performance and discuss ways to reach the goal of having a possession team. If MT is belligerent, then you'd hear of a rift between the two. I'm not an MT fan, but he's not a moron.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
MB thinks winning games 1-0 is the only way too, it's why he has decided to ignore the top 6 since his hiring, unless of course, he's subtracting from it.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Interesting.

Marinaro reported a few days ago that the players aren't too fond of MT's system. hmmmm

I've heard otherwise. I've heard they worship at the alter they built to commemorate 110 points, and grind against it for good luck.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
MB thinks winning games 1-0 is the only way too, it's why he has decided to ignore the top 6 since his hiring, unless of course, he's subtracting from it.

He's been here two years a half, and he got Vanek in one of those years.

He did try to improve it. Not everything you throw at the wall is going to stick.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada

I find that hard to believe given where he learned his chops. I think it's more of him looking at his roster and where his best players are situated and building from that while waiting for prospects.

I think his biggest downfall is also his biggest asset. Patience.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
You're imagining the meeting a lot more confrontationally than exit meetings/reviews usually are. Therrien will discuss his opinions on the roster (I.e. Why he didn't implement a more possession system) and MB will appraise Therrien's performance and discuss ways to reach the goal of having a possession team. If MT is belligerent, then you'd hear of a rift between the two. I'm not an MT fan, but he's not a moron.

No this is exactly how I would expect an exit meeting to go, however, I think PG is just voicing his opinion, MB won't be telling THerrien how to coach. MT has naked pictures of his mom :sarcasm:

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Nik #DriveFor25 6/16 ‏@NikkF07 10m10 minutes ago
Pierre McGuire is the 3rd analyst to come on #TSN690 to say he thinks Habs style of play will be questioned in team year end meetings

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
He sure tried to improve that bottom 9 though, kudos for that.

So you agree that you were wrong or what? Not sure why you're being snarky, I'm not MB in person, only pointing out he did bring in help for the top 6.

If you recall, this season, the biggest name as far as forwards go that got traded at the deadline is Vermette, and I'm glad we passed on him.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Yeah let's be more like Chicago. The thing is they have Kane, Toews, Hossa, Sharp, Saad. I'd argue Kane is the best forward in the NHL right now and Toews is Top 10 (all things considered).

Habs have Max Pacioretty, so one Top 25 forward.

Blame the style of play all you want, I'm not a big MT fan. But if he had Chicago's roster he would have swept Ottawa and steamrolled Tampa.

HabsDieHard*

So you agree that you were wrong or what? Not sure why you're being snarky, I'm not MB in person, only pointing out he did bring in help for the top 6.

If you recall, this season, the biggest name as far as forwards go that got traded at the deadline is Vermette, and I'm glad we passed on him.

Jagr had 18 points in 20 games for Florida. He cost a 2nd and a 3rd, but he re-signed for another year too.

Also, it's interesting how often people pigeon hole the argument into simply a deadline acquisition.

Bergevin had from June 2014 until April 2015 to improve the teams' forward depth.

He did the opposite.

That's all there is to it.

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
As far as Price is concerned, I am and have always been a huge fan and he is by far the greatest goaltender in the world.. HOWEVER..

He is being honest when he said we lost because of him.. The truth is our superstar is our goalie and our best player needs to be our best player to win.. Carey Price (not every goalie) should have saved that goal at the end of game 3.. Also, even though we were unlucky.. Facts are we outplayed Tampa 4 games and a half on 6 and we hit a bunch of posts.. Price should have saved one of the goals in game 1 as well.. Either an extra game 1 save or an extra game 3 save would have been the difference in the series.. I wouldn't change him for anyone in the world.. But that is the reality

This series was much much less about the save they didn't get than the goal they didn't get. Pathetic offence and special teams lost this series. Most of it coach-driven.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012

No I don't concede I am wrong, because I am not, his only improvements involved a rental, this isn't a solution to a problem, this is kicking the can down the road, MB hasn't done a damn thing for this roster, and when Petry walks, that will remain unchanged.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
MB will have one of his most important summers in his career as GM because there are opportunities to really improve us as a team, and there are also pitfalls.

One of the biggest consideration is of course coaching. Normally, I'd say stay the course with MT. But with so many coaches fired, and Babcock/Boucher available. If MT is not the guy to bring us all the way, then we have a big opportunity to change that and get the guy who will.

It also seems obvious that our first two centers DD and Plekanec are inadequate and need to be replaced. So there are obvious personnel issues. Kinda tough to fire your coach as a young GM when you haven't really provided him with the weapons to go all the way.

One thing is for sure is that Subban sent a message to management when he said he was 26 year old and he wanted to win right now. If I'm him, Price, Patch, Markov, Plekanec... not sure I love the transition talk. It seems obvious the time to win is now. It started this year. But then again last summer was spent fixing the mistakes of the previous one. And this summer MB has huge salary cap constraints he has to deal with. Can he find a taker for PAP, DD, Plekanec ? Who will be available to us to replace them ?

MB has some quality assets. He needs to set them up for success.

The easiest way to do this is to change the coach for a better one. But sometimes, you think you're getting a better deal when you're not. I hold MT in higher esteem than most here, but this summer there could be upgrades available. Will definitely be interesting to watch it all unfold.

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
MB will have one of his most important summers in his career as GM because there are opportunities to really improve us as a team, and there are also pitfalls.

One of the biggest consideration is of course coaching. Normally, I'd say stay the course with MT. But with so many coaches fired, and Babcock/Boucher available. If MT is not the guy to bring us all the way, then we have a big opportunity to change that and get the guy who will.

It also seems obvious that our first two centers DD and Plekanec are inadequate and need to be replaced. So there are obvious personnel issues. Kinda tough to fire your coach as a young GM when you haven't really provided him with the weapons to go all the way.

One thing is for sure is that Subban sent a message to management when he said he was 26 year old and he wanted to win right now. If I'm him, Price, Patch, Markov, Plekanec... not sure I love the transition talk. It seems obvious the time to win is now. It started this year. But then again last summer was spent fixing the mistakes of the previous one. And this summer MB has huge salary cap constraints he has to deal with. Can he find a taker for PAP, DD, Plekanec ? Who will be available to us to replace them ?

MB has some quality assets. He needs to set them up for success.

The easiest way to do this is to change the coach for a better one. But sometimes, you think you're getting a better deal when you're not. I hold MT in higher esteem than most here, but this summer there could be upgrades available. Will definitely be interesting to watch it all unfold.

So essentially, you're fine with keeping MT, but you're also fine with getting another coach?

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
The post count on GDT's throughout the season should be evident enough of what we think about the Montreal Canadiens' playing style. There were how many times this year when the game started before a GDT was up?

Heck there were days were we didn't even have a GDT and the Pre-Game thread had to be made into one. I think there is no question that the Habs system must be questioned and looked at during the year end meeting. The way the Habs play was unsustainable and the only reason why it ever worked was because of Carey Price. He had no room for error most nights and if his stats were slightly lower there is no doubt that we wouldn't be a 110 point team.

Our system should be build around Price and play to our strengths. We seen in the playoffs how effective the Habs can be when they play aggressive and don't sit back. They use their speed to create turnovers and are quick on the transition. We didn't see that during the regular season.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Nik #DriveFor25 6/16 ‏@NikkF07 10m10 minutes ago
Pierre McGuire is the 3rd analyst to come on #TSN690 to say he thinks Habs style of play will be questioned in team year end meetings

Pierre McGuire also debuted calling the Johnson line "Triplets" last night.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
You haven't been paying close enough attention then. Just because Gallagher takes a beating in front of the net when the rest of the forwards won't, doesn't mean he works harder than Subban. I'm not talking about just ont he ice, I'm talking about during the off-season, on the ice, in practice, the whole deal.

Just think, during the all star break Subban went back to Toronto to get in a couple work outs before going on vacation for a couple days. How many other players do you think did this? Gallagher included.

Gallagher always shows up for a game. I don't doubt Subban's work ethic but you have to agree he had his inconsistent moments this year and he is taking dump penalties.
The captain is not the best player but the player the team respects the most which I have a feeling is Gallagher.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
UFA salaries are usually ugly but there's a few names I'd look at if we are going to off-load Desharnais, PAP, Markov, Emelin and Plekanec.

Mike Green (probably too expensive and isn't the player he used to be).
Drew Stafford (I always liked him as a 3rd line/2nd line tweener)
Michael Frolik (defensively sound, cup winner, good for around 20 goals and 40 pts)
Francois Beauchemin (Not good anywhere but Anaheim, he's a stop gap)
Cody Franson (Not sold on him.. depends on price.. and if we lose out on Petry)
Justin Williams (Getting older but he's clutch and can score).
Joel Ward (He's a play-offs monster)
Jiri Tlusty (He's an ok option)
Johnny Oduya (Good enough for the Hawks)
Chris Stewart (reclamation project?)
Zbynek Michalek (short term show-me deal if we need defensive depth)
Shawn Matthias (can plug a center hole if Pleks is dealt)
Andrej Sekera (Good replacement if we move Markov and Emelin)
Matt Beleskey (Physical and can score)

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Gallagher always shows up for a game. I don't doubt Subban's work ethic but you have to agree he had his inconsistent moments this year and he is taking dump penalties.
The captain is not the best player but the player the team respects the most which I have a feeling is Gallagher.

Gallagher works hard, this isn't in doubt. But Subban was not inconsistent defensively, which is his primary job. Offense is always inconsistent with every player, it's the nature of it. But the fact still remains that he's an All-Star, top 5 player at his position in the entire league. These guys have clout in the league. We all love Gallagher, but Subban is the choice here.

Just take a look at the top teams in the league and who their captain is. How many aren't the best players on the team but instead the hard working guy?

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
So essentially, you're fine with keeping MT, but you're also fine with getting another coach?

Not speaking foes Des Louises but it's like anything else. It's MB's job to make the team better. If he can find a better coach, great, if not, Therrien is fine as a coach. It's the same for every player on the team. If you can get better players than Plakenc, DD, Eller, Markov, Subban and so on. They go ahead and make moves. There shouldn't be any untouchables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad