Off-season discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
Can't have dd and plek as the top 2 centres. Trade one of them or move Dave to the wing. I'm already excited for fall. Reading some of the posts last night you'd think we were the leafs. Yes I was frustrated with their effort last night but we had a good season. This teams cup window has opened, exciting time to be a habs fan!

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
So essentially, you're fine with keeping MT, but you're also fine with getting another coach?

I would like to see an improvement. I want to see us moving forward.

I don't care if it's with or without MT.

If MB thinks he can find us an upgrade over MT I'm fine with that. I know MT is not the best. But he's not the worst either. Maybe there is a way to improve the team by changing the coach. Lots of quality out there. If MT is not the answer then let him go, and pursue other options.

If MB would rather improve the top 6 and see what MT can do with it because he believes in MT, that's also fine.

So to answer your question, yes, I'm fine with either as long as the improvements are there.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Can't have dd and plek as the top 2 centres. Trade one of them or move Dave to the wing. I'm already excited for fall. Reading some of the posts last night you'd think we were the leafs. Yes I was frustrated with their effort last night but we had a good season. This teams cup window has opened, exciting time to be a habs fan!

To me, I'd say trade both of them.

Plekanec at 5M with the little offensive production he brings and huge defensive mistakes.. unacceptable. He was horrible in these playoffs. Just nowhere near worth 5M.

DD was ineffective at best.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
MB thinks winning games 1-0 is the only way too, it's why he has decided to ignore the top 6 since his hiring, unless of course, he's subtracting from it.

In the two years he's been here, Bergevin has acquired arguably the two best deadline pieces in Vanek and Petry. While he certainly isn't not without faults. I'm going to give him the summer before I start getting the coal fire burning.

I do find it interesting just how many reputable people in the media are calling out Therrien. There may just be hope yet.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Plekanec at 5M with the little offensive production he brings and huge defensive mistakes.. unacceptable. He was horrible in these playoffs. Just nowhere near worth 5M.

Honestly, if we could move DD and Plekanec and sign Matthias, I think we'd be OK until we can find a better solution than Eller at 2C although, I'm not sure was Matthias used as a winger now?

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

Pleks had 60 points this year and 26 goals. I'd trade him for the new scenery but not for lack of production. He's a good/great two-way centre who needs very little upkeep. He *could* be part of the solution if he played a middle6 role.

DD is actually 57 weasels stitched together in a human-suit. I don't like him at all

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
It would be nice to package pleks + tinordi + 1rst for a scoring winger and then we could sign Soderberg to a 5 X 5.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
In the two years he's been here, Bergevin has acquired arguably the two best deadline pieces in Vanek and Petry. While he certainly isn't not without faults. I'm going to give him the summer before I start getting the coal fire burning.

I do find it interesting just how many reputable people in the media are calling out Therrien. There may just be hope yet.

This is certainly his summer to make a move, all his moves have been designed to get to this summer. We'll see what he has up his sleeve.

But he has vouched for Therrien's approach MULTIPLE times and his prized extension of FOUR YEARS hasn't even kicked in yet.

Therrien could change his system if he were given the tools, maybe Therry doesn't have faith in his top6? We'll see. But the special teams were brutal, and someone's head ought to roll.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

We just burned one of its years.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
Davey to wing

It's a vicious circle... DD makes the team as a Winger...

1) Lose a couple of games. MT starts thinking DD helps more as a Top-2 Center
2) DD not producing without MaxPac. 2nd line not producing.
3) MT starts remembering there's some synergy with MaxPac
4) DD plays huge chunk of the season on 1st PP with MaxPac
5) DD one of our go-to playoff offensive Center again. Does nothing like usual.
6) Playoffs on the line. Puts DD to replace Carey Price as 6th attacker.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Pleks had 60 points this year and 26 goals. I'd trade him for the new scenery but not for lack of production. He's a good/great two-way centre who needs very little upkeep. He *could* be part of the solution if he played a middle6 role.

DD is actually 57 weasels stitched together in a human-suit. I don't like him at all

I would keep pleks as a number two and Eller at three but DD has to be bought out or traded to Switzerland. We either Go with Galchenyuk or make the big splash where he and another player get us that number one guy. We have to move forward and we have to make some big decisions to benefit the team. Who is the best attainable center that can help us right now?

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY

If MB thinks he can find us an upgrade over MT I'm fine with that. I know MT is not the best. But he's not the worst either. Maybe there is a way to improve the team by changing the coach. Lots of quality out there. If MT is not the answer then let him go, and pursue other options.

If MB would rather improve the top 6 and see what MT can do with it because he believes in MT, that's also fine.

So to answer your question, yes, I'm fine with either as long as the improvements are there.

Right, you're fine with whatever management decides to do.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

I don't think there would be too many people to disagree with that. We all want the team to improve going forward.

The question about Therrien, really, is whether he can change his spots? Can he really lead and develop a balanced game plan? I have my doubts, but I'd be thrilled to see him succeed.

Dr_Hook

Jun 4, 2006
Yeah let's be more like Chicago. The thing is they have Kane, Toews, Hossa, Sharp, Saad. I'd argue Kane is the best forward in the NHL right now and Toews is Top 10 (all things considered).

Habs have Max Pacioretty, so one Top 25 forward.

Blame the style of play all you want, I'm not a big MT fan. But if he had Chicago's roster he would have swept Ottawa and steamrolled Tampa.

I kindda agree the Chicago comparable may be misleading cause of all their top-end talent. What if we said "let's play more like Minny" ? Patch is our Parise, Plek is kindda our Koivu, Galchenyuk could be our Granlund ? Providing we keep Petry (or replace him with equivalent) our D core is more than capable of advancing the puck. And as unreal as his numbers were, I'm sure we agree Price can do as good a job as Dubnyk.

Implement more speed, more posession, limit the shot against. The irony is Mike Yeo is a MT pupil. I know they're out too, but it seems to me that type of style might lead to some nice long term success here.

I just can't stand to watch Therrien turn Galchenyuk into and instinctless scared-to-make-mistakes dump-and-chase grind-it-in robot. It would demand an audacious move from Bergevin to replace MT, but he proved last summer he wouldn't shy away from change. Hope he surprises me once more.

Last edited:

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Very expensive to get, and even more expensive paying his huge contract.

During the season Danny Dubé and a few people on the Habs' french radio broadcast said Carolina would be willing to take some of Staal's contract in order to get good players back.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Very expensive to get, and even more expensive paying his huge contract. I would like Skinner. As fast as any Bolts player.

I don't know how expensive he'd be. He actually only has one year left on his contract. I think what hurts is the name is greater than the player. I think he gets a bad reputation considering he hasn't played with good wingers for a long time in Carolina. I'd rather have him than Joe Thornton though, at least Eric is younger and has won.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I don't know how expensive he'd be. He actually only has one year left on his contract. I think what hurts is the name is greater than the player. I think he gets a bad reputation considering he hasn't played with good wingers for a long time in Carolina. I'd rather have him than Joe Thornton though, at least Eric is younger and has won.

I would take Eric Staal all day long and if the chance comes to get him we would be crazy not to get him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad