Off-season discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Hook

Jun 4, 2006
Wouls u guys give a shot at Eric Staal?

Definitely an upgrade from what we have right now as a so-called offensive centerman (*cough cough* Desharnais)

But the return will be too pricy for my taste I am afraid, not too mention it would be really hard to make it work money wise.

All in all, I don't think it would end up being a savy move, unless the market gets real cold on him. Intriguing, but don't see it as the answer.

* BTW the answer for #1 center is a well coached more mature Galchenyuk. Then go after a legit scoring winger (comes much cheaper) and we're good to go.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
Yes. 2 guys I would target are Eric Staal and Chris Stewart. We need to become a heavier team up front.

Plus I think McCarron can make the jump.

Dr_Hook

Jun 4, 2006
I don't know how expensive he'd be. He actually only has one year left on his contract. I think what hurts is the name is greater than the player. I think he gets a bad reputation considering he hasn't played with good wingers for a long time in Carolina. I'd rather have him than Joe Thornton though, at least Eric is younger and has won.

Look at what Bobby Ryan went for. Silfverberg looks like a solid young player plus a 1st. Edit *there was also another legit prospect going to ANA in the deal* Is that a price you'd be willing to pay at this point ? For 1 year of Staal ? And then as a pending 30 yr old UFA, do we throw huge money and term at him to justify the trade ?

I don't know... As appealing as it looks right now to add EStaal to our offensively-challenged line-up, I think it would prove to be an ill advised move in time.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Wouldnt mind mtl finding a winger to help insulate Galchenyuk. Some one who can score but help defensively.

You have to make your decision on him. Either he is a center or a winger for good and you roll with it.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Montreal's best bet right now is to develop Galchenyuk at centre and pay up for a winger. Wingers are cheaper to acquire. Give Galchenyuk the shot, you might not need to pay for a centre.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Montreal's best bet right now is to develop Galchenyuk at centre and pay up for a winger. Wingers are cheaper to acquire. Give Galchenyuk the shot, you might not need to pay for a centre.

I actually like the earlier mention of acquiring Sharp to help insulate Galchenyuk. Pair them with Pacioretty and you have two excellent two way wingers to take the load off Cluckie if he struggles a bit. I still like Vrbata though. Either way, we need to sink or swim with Galchenyuk as our #1. Enough is enough.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
Not the biggest concern, but after dealing with Petry and addressing the top 6..
dump PAP for a 7th to a team that needs to reach cap floor, buy him out whatever..and sign AK for half the price.
A lock for 20 goals to our third line + gives Eller someone who can really shoot. 9 points in 6 games for Belarus at the Worlds, 31 points in last 37 games in the KHL. Says he still watches MTL games and wants to come back.
:dunno:

Yes, I'm still lobbying to bring back the guy 80% of Habs fans hate. Deal with it.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Not the biggest concern, but after dealing with Petry and addressing the top 6..
dump PAP for a 7th to a team that needs to reach cap floor, buy him out whatever..and sign AK for half the price.
A lock for 20 goals to our third line + gives Eller someone who can really shoot. 9 points in 6 games for Belarus at the Worlds, 31 points in last 37 games in the KHL. Says he still watches MTL games and wants to come back.

Yes, I'm still lobbying to bring back the guy 80% of Habs fans hate. Deal with it.

*sigh* fine.

1.5 million, 1 year.

ROSSter

Jul 5, 2011
I actually like the earlier mention of acquiring Sharp to help insulate Galchenyuk. Pair them with Pacioretty and you have two excellent two way wingers to take the load off Cluckie if he struggles a bit. I still like Vrbata though. Either way, we need to sink or swim with Galchenyuk as our #1. Enough is enough.

Thats an amazing idea! Really like it. Two vets to show the guy the ropes.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I like Sharp but I feel he's getting to be on the wrong side of 30 and isn't a guy that creates chances himself. I feel he would have disappointing numbers in Montreal.

punk255

Mar 15, 2014

Agree with that but the problem is MT

A player will have as much confidence in his playing than how much the coach will have confidence in that player

MT dont have confidence in Galchenyuk playing and Galchenyuk already have confidence problem with his playing

MT is not a good coach to give confidence in offensive player because for him you only have one kind of hockey player

I see the opposite, He will remove him from center or other favorable situation as soon as he will see Galchenyuk performance go down

You need a more positive coach that will give confidence to Galchenyuk.
Need a coach that believe in Galchenyuk playing and take decision to improve his playing and make him progress . All thing that MT is not

Galchenyuk should change his name for DD

Vi Nc E x13x

Oct 30, 2011
Who Knows

I dont see how they could hate a guy who is good enough to be on our top 6 with the trash we have lol. Id take him at a decent contract over most of whats available this year if UFAs

PricePkPatch*

Can we offer him.a 2-way contract?

PricePkPatch*

Sign Kostitsyn and Kovalev for one year and make them play only on PP

Nop.

Kovy is finished.

Take Kostityn on a PTO, with a 2-way contract at 2.5M in the NHL. Make him understand he'll ride the bus in Hamilton if he doesnt play the way Therrien wants.

HabsDieHard*

Sharp isn't really anything special as a 2 way player to be honest.

He's also almost always played with one or more elite players on his line.

Steen on the other hand, is actually an excellent 2 way forward, and while he might not have the career numbers Sharp does, he hasn't been on an offensive juggernaut the whole time either.

HabsDieHard*

Steen is also a couple years younger, and while it might cost more to get him out of St. Louis he'd be worth it IMO.

Dr_Hook

Jun 4, 2006
I'd rather give Ghetto or Hudon ice time to develop.

Given that Parenteau is most likely a goner, one of our C might be traded, and that neither DLR, Weise, Prust or Smith-Pelly has shown anything to prove they should be full time top 9ers, there might be more than enough spots available.

Slew Foots

Everything is OK
Sep 6, 2006
I would take a chance on Andrei Kostitsyn. He would net you 20 goals..

I would love to bring him back too.

I don't know if he would net you 20 goals playing on a 3rd line, but he'd be an upgrade over most of our wingers. He'd arguably be the team's second best puck handler, with the second best wrister.

He has a thick body, can hit (people forget how he was often among the leader in hits for our team) and sustain the physicality of the playoffs (he usually played solid for us in the playoffs). Our PP desperately needs an injection of skill. And in case MT stays, despite what logic might have you think, MT would often defend AK on Antichambre (how he would deal with AK not fitting perfectly with DA SYSTEM is another story).

People knock him because of how strong the 2013 draft was, but on a $2M contract or less, he might be the best bang for buck deal available on the open market this offseason.

He had a big season in Sochi, and he's playing great during these World Championships. I look forward to seeing how he plays vs. Canada later today.

Also in the category of veteran skilled wingers who want to play for Montreal: Jaromir Jagr. The dude may be crazy old, but amazingly he's still a force out there. He's another potentially cheap option to upgrade our skill on the wing and on the PP.

Subban signed e5

Jun 21, 2012
I would love to bring him back too.

Also in the category of veteran skilled wingers who want to play for Montreal: Jaromir Jagr. The dude may be crazy old, but amazingly he's still a force out there. He's another potentially cheap option to upgrade our skill on the wing and on the PP.

He resigned with Florida

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I don't think we need a defensively minded winger. We need a pure goal scorer, preferably with size....

this offseason should be another shift to our younger core. It might be time to move on from guys like Plek and Markov imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad