HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2024 Off-Season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
Rêve de tuyau

The NHL is a partnership of franchises each worth close to at least 1B if not more, where most teams have hit rockbottom at some point. The great majority of them will laugh and scoff at the very proposition.

It ain't soccer, bub.
Even the owners of the MLS franchises laugh at the idea of relegation. Too much easy money for owners of American sports teams to ever entertain the idea of pro/rel

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
Completely different economic landscape now comparet to pre-covid when Las Vegas and Seattle joined. Cash was free, interest rates were super low, no inflation, people were generally richer.
Investing in a hockey team in Atlanta might not be as intereting as it might have been 7-8 years ago.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Time to fire his agent. Hopefully that contract gets him to UFA and he can get a fair deal then. See Guenther deal.
He's still RFA after the 3 years. His agent is Brisson... Seems like he really wanted to be there.

Edit: He'll be eligible for UFA in 2028. Maybe he's calculating that the market will be better at that point with the cap going up.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
1000008769.jpg

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I don't think they are looking to expand in Canada. Daly is basically saying that the NHL is underrepresented in the US market. Plus, that's where the money is.​
Quebec City deserves a team. Bettman eyeing big tv money. I think NHL team could make go of it in York also. But Atlanta has big tv potential. Why Bettman hung onto Phoenix so long. If that was Quebec City or Ottawa, team been gone 10 years ago.

Reactions: Tyson

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
The new owner did in one year what crazy Geno Melnyk never could do. You have to hand it to Andlauer. As an Ottawa area resident, I'm real happy about the development finaly happening. Seems like having an entertaiment district really is the new craze for team owners!
It just makes sense, why buy a bunch of land just to put a single building to host 1 single entity? Might as well go all in and build a bunch of bars/restaurants and make money. MLSE was the starter on that, Maple Leaf square has been an absolute money maker for them. Teams started copying it. You can already see the success Edmonton has had with theirs. Calgary next, Ottawa etc.

Also from what it looks like for Ottawa is they are building a whole transit system to Gatineau which again expands the reach, the market etc. the easier it is for fans to get to the game the more money you can possibly make

Reactions: Pompeius Magnus

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
The new owner did in one year what crazy Geno Melnyk never could do. You have to hand it to Andlauer. As an Ottawa area resident, I'm real happy about the development finaly happening. Seems like having an entertaiment district really is the new craze for team owners!
As someone who lives 45 mins from Kanata , I’m annoyed. I have easy access off the 416. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Pompeius Magnus

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Quebec City deserves a team. Bettman eyeing big tv money. I think NHL team could make go of it in York also. But Atlanta has big tv potential. Why Bettman hung onto Phoenix so long. If that was Quebec City or Ottawa, team been gone 10 years ago.
It seems Quebec will need a failure elsewhere to ever get a team in the future.
To make matters worse it probably has to be a Canadian team. :help:

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
They will never go to Quebec City unless the Bloc disappears because until then there will be no corporate money.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
When is the last time any one of you visited QC? I was there recently.

It's tiny. It has little industry, little international appeal outside of its touristy old town, and it's not particularly wealthy. If it gets a hockey team, it would suffer to spend to the cap and every player in the league would have it on their NTCs.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Robertson is still on the market. Apparently not much interest which doesn't make sense unless Treliving is asking too much.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
They will never go to Quebec City unless the Bloc disappears because until then there will be no corporate money.
Unless Quebec City grows into a top-20 US population market w disposable income (which will never happen) … there’s no team ever coming.

I actually don’t how how Sens or Jets can survive mid/longterm regardless of Ott new arena

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Quebec City?

Why would the NHL go to a small market Canadian city that will do nothing to increase TV rights etc in the USA. Not to mention no market value outside Quebec.

Plus the way the cap keeps going up, I’m willing to bet some of the smaller market teams (Peg) are going to struggle to exist.

Unless Quebec City grows into a top-20 US population market w disposable income (which will never happen) … there’s no team ever coming.

I actually don’t how how Sens or Jets can survive mid/longterm regardless of Ott new arena
Bingo!!

Could there be a less marketable city to the NHL than QC, maybe Winnipeg, lol.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
When is the last time any one of you visited QC? I was there recently.

It's tiny. It has little industry, little international appeal outside of its touristy old town, and it's not particularly wealthy. If it gets a hockey team, it would suffer to spend to the cap and every player in the league would have it on their NTCs.

I go every year. I love the city but you are bang on. The arena was a dumb idea from the start and it's still hard to believe taxpayer money went into it, only for it to run a deficit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad