Off-season discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Was talking with a co-worker this morning, and he said he would give Subban (+picks/prospects) for Edmonton's first to fix our offense.
At first, I thought he was crazy, but then the more I think about it, I'm not sure anymore.

Let's say EDM would listen, would you guys do it to get McDavid?

It is a fair offers but our blue line would be complete trash.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
I mean, I think I'm not the only one who would be okay with an actual transition year, as opposed to some mindless nonsense about it that simply isn't true.

And Therrein needs to go.
We cannot have a transition year with Therrien behind the bench. He's simply far too stubborn to change his ways or his beliefs. He will not play youth unless they play his way. He will not change his perception of players. He will continue to over-depend on his favourites. He will continue to preach 'da system', which will continue to put an unfair burden on Price and stagnate development of key future pieces of our lineup, most importantly Galchenyuk & Beaulieu, and continue to get less out of players like Eller & even Subban himself than they are capable of delivering.

This team makes me sad.
Hard to argue with that.

Bergevin has until draft day to make me believe he can fix this. If not... I'm emotionally checking out for 15/16. I'll follow the team but I just won't get worked up about it. They'll be destined for another smoke-and-mirrors regular season followed by a disappointing playoff. Unless the wheels start to come off (injuries, regression, Therrien losing the room), and then I may take interest in that watching-trainwreck kind of way.

DD51*

Sorry goal is to win a cup

Coaching is still a major weakness along with many roster issues.

Its a message board to discuss the team. A team who took a step back this year and certain players like markov and pleks are getting older.

have an opinion. Why are you here if all you wanna do is heap praises for a second round exit.

how many teams per year are not winning a Cup ? Even teams with better coaches and players never won a SC. I would had preferred a longer run, but I am realistic, which is something you are not. This team is not built yet to battle to the end. Any superior coaches according to your set of criterias would not had achieved more with this current team.

Slew Foots

Everything is OK
Sep 6, 2006
That's complete BS, Eller's creativity is circling the zone protecting the puck, it ends there. He plays hockey in a tunnel.

Go do some youtube searches for goals by the EGG line in the fall of 2013, before MT broke up the line to save DD's NHL career. Plenty of creative plays by Eller...

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
how many teams per year are not winning a Cup ? Even teams with better coaches and players never won a SC. I would had preferred a longer run, but I am realistic, which is something you are not. This team is not built yet to battle to the end. Any superior coaches according to your set of criterias would not had achieved more with this current team.

Again, i said mtl wouldnt win anything countless times without upgrading in many areas. How was i unrealistic.

your continued propaganda you spew about people believing its just davey and mt as issues is bordering trolling.

You purposely ignore when people write pleks and markov may need to be moved because they also mention davey and mt. Then you say "why is it always daveys fault"

Heck i mention it, and its back to therrien and davey

DD51*

Again, i said mtl wouldnt win anything countless times without upgrading in many areas. How was i unrealistic.

your continued propaganda you spew about people believing its just davey and mt as issues is bordering trolling.

You purposely ignore when people write pleks and markov may need to be moved because they also mention davey and mt. Then you say "why is it always daveys fault"

Heck i mention it, and its back to therrien and davey

i see the team as a whole, not as a set of individual pieces with some favourites and some hated components.

Dannyhab

Feb 5, 2010
What are the rules for coaches? Can MB talk to Babcock without firing Therrien first? Like just a private quick chat to see his interest? Or get a guy like Carey to talk to his Olympic coach and see his interest. If Babcock is interested you promote Therrien to Vice President of some ******** and sack his coaching staff. Go hard after Babcock we should easily be his top choice if the money is there. Let Mike choose his coaching staff.

Trade Desharnais, Parenteau and Emelin for scraps, resign Petry and go after a top 6 winger

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Sharp/UFA
Camp Standout-Eller-Gallagher
DLR-Plekanec-DSP
Prust-Mitchell-Weise

Beaulieu-Subban
Markov-Petry
Tinordi-Gilbert
Pateryn

Price
Tokarski

Wouldn't mind finding a taker for Pleky either in a deal for a 3C+

We get a real transition year finally for our youth

This is pretty much EXACTLY what needs to take place. Well done.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Either Therrien or Desharnais goes, at the very least. Can't see an easier way this team can contend.

DD51*

All you do is defend two people.

i am defending these two because of the obvious hatred . I don' t care if DD is dealt or if MT would be fired, but the anount of stupidity spewed about them is incredible. No other boards are treating their own players or coaches that way. They are part of the team for the time being, and I will defend them . Just deal with it.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
the crappy thing in all of this is that we won just enough playoff games for Therrien to be secure in his position. I wouldn't have minded being swept by the Bolts if it guaranteed a new coach with a new approach to the team. humph!

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
the crappy thing in all of this is that we won just enough playoff games for Therrien to be secure in his position. I wouldn't have minded being swept by the Bolts if it guaranteed a new coach with a new approach to the team. humph!
Yeah. This was the outcome I dreaded most. With a Hart-calibre season from Price, we either needed to go all the way and win that Cup now, or flame out hard, preferably in R1, to get Therrien canned. We ended up with neither, and we're highly likely to go into next season with minimal changes as a result. Which just means we're highly likely to be right back in this same position next May. Which is highly depressing.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
the team won't be better overnight even if these two guys are gone.

with DD gone. It forces Therrien to use other guys on the PP. DD was not very effective. Is it his fault, or coaching? Either way, you have to admit that MT's obsession with DD borders on the neurotic. DD had hit a big slump and was still being used heavily on top lines and on the PP. He was finally moved out of that role temporarily, but only to return after a 2 game "slump" by his replacement in that role.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Plekanec put up 60 points this year. You can say whatever you want about playoffs but if you move out a guy like that and plug Eller in his spot, you probably end up out of the playoffs or at best needing all your spare change just to finish 7th or 8th.

Yes, Eller didn't play with great linemates, but that's in large part because he is a poor playmaker and not very creative. Also being on the 3rd line, a lot of those goals were scored against weaker players.

I think people on here massively underestimate how hard it is to put up 60 points in today's NHL. Galchenyuk is a very talented player and in his 3rd year, did not reach 50 points this year with similar offensive opportunities as Plekanec minus the defensive heavy lifting.

You think Plekanec is a good playmaker???

Galchenyuk similar offensive opportunities???

Am I watching the same team???

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc

The Habs definitely overachieved this season, they played well enough to have beaten Tampa Bay IMHO, a few bounces here and there the Habs would have moved on to round three. It's abundantly clear to every Hab fan there is a huge need for more offensive clout, Gallagher & Pacioretty carried the bulk of their offence, that just isn't enough obviously to carry them through to the conference Final let alone the SC Finals, IMHO.

Moves will be made in this off season, despite our great regular season and Carey Price's kingly efforts to carry the team on his shoulders, it's just not enough talent in our core group to create the offence necessary, yet.

Having Scherbak, McCarron, Andrighetto, Hudon, Lehkonen, Audette as our offensive prospects may be enough when Galchenyuk breaks through, that remains to be seen. The Entry Draft being the next big + other than the Petry signing which seems imperative to any future success ATM. The Habs have a 1st, 3rd, 5th, 6th & 7th round picks at the 2015 Entry Draft, my hope there is Kylington, Svechnikov or some highly talented offensive gem perhaps Bracco or Boeser in the 1st round. Many very good prospects this year hopefully we get either a LW to take AG's spot or a superb skating,passing Dman like Kylington. In the 5th round possibly hard working talented Russian LW Artur Boltanov from Magnitogorsk whom went undrafted last season as did Gavrikov, a player I pointed out before last season's draft as well. We did get Brett Lernout which has proven to be a steal IMHO, Vancouver took Nikita Tryamkin the behemoth Russian defenceman with good skating just before the Habs took Lernout.

The UFA market and free agent signings are the only other resources to use, besides trading players leaving holes in the lineup, for higher draft choices or some help offensively to team's deficient on defence, as that's the Habs real strength, huge depth of these types of players. Usually the players in demand for non- playoff teams, remains to be seen what moves Bergevin deems best going forward. Nobody can argue with the success the Habs have had, despite the dearth of offensive talent. The hope here being the quick development of the prospects in our system presently, Scherbak, McCarron and Hudon/Carr being the most impressive this season.:nod:

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
Some moves + trades I'd like and think ( In my opinion) the other team could be interested :

re-sign petry
re-sign Mitchell

Then :

Colorado receives : Alexei Emelin + B prospect
Montreal receives : Alex Tanguay

Nashville receives : Thomas Plekanec + B prospect
Montreal receives : James Neal

Arizona receives : DD + PAP ( could be one or another, in a perfect world both)
Montreal receives : Korpikoski + 5th 2015 ( If one trade : DD vs Korpi or PAP vs 5h 2015)

The Montreal Canadiens are proud to present your team for the 2015-2016 season :

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Neal
Tanguay-Eller-Gallagher
Korpikoski-De La Rose-Weise
Prust-Mitchell-Smith-Pelly

Beaulieu-Subban
Markov-Petry
Tinordi/Pateryn/Gilbert

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Some observations from this season and post season for me

- this team isn't as far off as many are going to claim it is.

- while they're not far off, what they need, is going to be extremely difficult to acquire or rather, will take some creative roster manipulation

- our top 2 centers are inadequate

- The Habs need one of Beaulieu/Tinordi to take a huge step forward next year

- Tomas Plekanec is trade chip that Bergevin has to and I believe, will use (I know, not popular opinion, but this situation is coming to a head and what I've learned with Bergevin is that he's often very proactive)

- Desharnais is neither important to this teams success or failure, whether he stays or goes is irrelevant IMO, what's more important is that the coaching staff understands his strengths/weakenesses and uses him accordingly IF he's going to continue to be a member of the team

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I agree with your entire list except for Tinordi. No way. I think it would be a mistake.

I'm not exactly wanting to run out of town....but I'm listening to offers. And Tinordi might very well be THE best prospect value we have in a package.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
You think Plekanec is a good playmaker???

Galchenyuk similar offensive opportunities???

Am I watching the same team???

FFS they played on the same line most of the year, on PP and 5 on 5. The only extra minutes Plekanec got was on PK or late in game for defensive situations.

With the fans on here sometimes I wonder if any of them are older than 12 or actually watch the games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad