Off-season discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Possibly, but considering who he played with this season. I think 60 is a safer bet. Trust me, Bonino is very average.

I disagree. Our 1st is 23rd overall, which means the likelihood of drafting a good player a slim. Even if the pick did turn out, it wouldn't provide dividends for 4-5 years. The way I see it, the late first and Tinordi gets us Vrbata while paying Vancouver to take PAP. The 2/3rd is for Higgins. Personally, I would try and get Stanton as he's a stay at home LHD we could re-sign for cheap (he's a RFA). That way if Pateryn struggles, we have options.

If it's a 2nd/3rd for dumping PAP, there are other teams that will do that. Higgins isn't really a guy the team needs, especially with how readily guys like him are available in free agency. That's a move you make after you strike out in free agency. And Vrbata's most common line mates were the Sedins, not Bonino. I love Vrbata, but he isn't the fix the team needs at that price. He's like Plekanec, a good all around player, but not super skilled. Montreal has plenty of two-way players, they need the skill.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Therrien said Galchenyuk asked to be moved back to wing because he didn't want to play center or some **** so when the media asked Galchenyuk, he denied that and said he'd play wherever they need him.

As if a 20 year old boy is going to say to the Montreal media that Therrien lied. FFS

The players will know. So I don't worry about it.

Haaabs

Jul 16, 2010
Montreal
How do we know he lied though, don't get me wrong I agree I think he did, but thats just me, there isnt any proof no?

Every interview is taped. You can go back and look for them contradicting each other. Its around the end of January.

It was also covered in LaPresse

Basically
Therrien says Galchenyuk seeked him out to tell him to move him back to wing.

Galchenyuk says
Therrien asked him to move back to wing.

Slew Foots

Everything is OK
Sep 6, 2006
This team needs a major injection of talent. And a new coach who won't force an archaic outdated system on a team as opposed to devising a system tailored to the assets at his disposal.

We were never set up to be a team of grinders. But sadly, MB acquiesced to MT's wishes, and talent was either shipped out, or whipped out of our players through Pavlovian methods. MT needs to go now, despite the 110-point season, before permanent damage is done and whatever creativity remains in players like Galchenyuk, Beaulieu, Subban and Eller is whipped out for good.

Finding sufficient talent in the open market will be next to impossible. We will need to look at our prospects internally for an injection of speed and talent. TB showed us that you can still succeed with less experienced young talented players as long as you put trust in those kids. People will say our kids are not as good, but we won't know unless we give them a real shot. Andrighetto was better than Kucherov in juniors. Thomas and Andrighetto looked dynamic in their limited stint with the Habs, and the team was playing well, before we decided to go all in with DA GRINDERS after the deadline. Hudon was the top rookie in the AHL for long stretches last season. Scherbak and McCarron have interesting tools too. We probably need 2, maybe even 3 of these guys to step up at training camp and earn spots on the team.

Next up: Galchenyuk. It has been covered ad nauseam: he has to play at Centre. Live with the growing pains. Fire MT so that you have a coach who isn't always fighting for short-term survival and choosing regular season points over long-term success. Get a coach who is willing to live with dropping a few regular season points in order to rebuild this kid's confidence and get him ready for being our #1 centre on the long run.

Now: even with 2 or 3 kids making the team in order to inject talent and speed, we probably need a trade to get a proven scoring winger. Which assets do we have that have enough value to get that scoring winger? The only logical candidate is Plekanec, as has been mentioned many times.

I would love to re-sign Petry, but to me, this is less critical than upgrading our forward group. Beaulieu has the talent to take over Markov's minutes, and I think Markov can still be solid in a much more reduced role. Gilbert and Emelin aren't always great, but they are adequate more often than not. Pateryn has been a pleasant surprise and could be a good #6 full-time next season. Again, try hard to re-sign Petry, but it's not as critical as some of the other abovementioned roster moves / changes.

If MB decides to keep MT, then he will have to buyout DD. I don't hate DD, and think he can be a solid 3rd liner, but we all know that DD will be MT's #1C as long as he's in place, so it's the only way to force his hand.

I am convinced Eller can match Plekanec's production if given Plekanec's minutes on the PP and wingers 5-on-5. Unfortunately, MT seems to hate the guy, so it's another reason why I think MT needs to go: he is a coach that is unable to do what's best for his team because of his big ego. We saw what MT tried to do by bringing up JDLR and making it clear that he thought JDLR could replace Eller and that MB should ship Eller out. JDLR is a MT player: kills offense - for both teams.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that we will regress next season if MT is kept in place. Matthias Brunet, who I initially thought usually made some sense, couldn't be more wrong on this one.

walsy37

Jul 12, 2006
Is Tyler Johnson too small?

We need to start playing a different style of hockey to win...MT has these guys playing dump and chase...he is destroying any talented players (or limiting them at the very least). For us to take the next step MT has to go.

His supporters will say that he had 100 points, division wins, bla bla bla...the only results that matter are CUPS. Not saying it's easy, but I didn't like the intensity of our team AT ALL during these playoffs. We were better last year. Coach is finished with this group imo.

and that is why you are wrong. To fans you might be right, but to the owner, the primary results that matter is $$$ and winning 2 divisions and playing in 6 rounds of PO over 3 years makes the owner lot of $$$. To the GM who hired MT, keeping his owner happy are the results that matter. Until they start losing and the fans/media start screaming in a financial way or in a way that embarrasses the owner/gm, there is no reason to make a change, particularly when they have just invested in a 4 year extension and will have to pay that.

HABsurde

Jul 28, 2005
Montreal
This team needs a major injection of talent. And a new coach who won't force an archaic outdated system on a team as opposed to devising a system tailored to the assets at his disposal.

We were never set up to be a team of grinders. But sadly, MB acquiesced to MT's wishes, and talent was either shipped out, or whipped out of our players through Pavlovian methods. MT needs to go now, despite the 110-point season, before permanent damage is done and whatever creativity remains in players like Galchenyuk, Beaulieu, Subban and Eller is whipped out for good.

Finding sufficient talent in the open market will be next to impossible. We will need to look at our prospects internally for an injection of speed and talent. TB showed us that you can still succeed with less experienced young talented players as long as you put trust in those kids. People will say our kids are not as good, but we won't know unless we give them a real shot. Andrighetto was better than Kucherov in juniors. Thomas and Andrighetto looked dynamic in their limited stint with the Habs, and the team was playing well, before we decided to go all in with DA GRINDERS after the deadline. Hudon was the top rookie in the AHL for long stretches last season. Scherbak and McCarron have interesting tools too. We probably need 2, maybe even 3 of these guys to step up at training camp and earn spots on the team.

Next up: Galchenyuk. It has been covered ad nauseam: he has to play at Centre. Live with the growing pains. Fire MT so that you have a coach who isn't always fighting for short-term survival and choosing regular season points over long-term success. Get a coach who is willing to live with dropping a few regular season points in order to rebuild this kid's confidence and get him ready for being our #1 centre on the long run.

Now: even with 2 or 3 kids making the team in order to inject talent and speed, we probably need a trade to get a proven scoring winger. Which assets do we have that have enough value to get that scoring winger? The only logical candidate is Plekanec, as has been mentioned many times.

I would love to re-sign Petry, but to me, this is less critical than upgrading our forward group. Beaulieu has the talent to take over Markov's minutes, and I think Markov can still be solid in a much more reduced role. Gilbert and Emelin aren't always great, but they are adequate more often than not. Pateryn has been a pleasant surprise and could be a good #6 full-time next season. Again, try hard to re-sign Petry, but it's not as critical as some of the other abovementioned roster moves / changes.

If MB decides to keep MT, then he will have to buyout DD. I don't hate DD, and think he can be a solid 3rd liner, but we all know that DD will be MT's #1C as long as he's in place, so it's the only way to force his hand.

I am convinced Eller can match Plekanec's production if given Plekanec's minutes on the PP and wingers 5-on-5. Unfortunately, MT seems to hate the guy, so it's another reason why I think MT needs to go: he is a coach that is unable to do what's best for his team because of his big ego. We saw what MT tried to do by bringing up JDLR and making it clear that he thought JDLR could replace Eller and that MB should ship Eller out. JDLR is a MT player: kills offense - for both teams.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that we will regress next season if MT is kept in place. Matthias Brunet, who I initially thought usually made some sense, couldn't be more wrong on this one.

THIS TEAM POST 11 fu%?$ 0 POINTS !!!!!

Slew Foots

Everything is OK
Sep 6, 2006
THIS TEAM POST 11 fu%?$ 0 POINTS

Despite obvious deficiencies that have been well documented. Price had a ridiculous two-month stretch where he had a .950+ save percentage, which have likely accounted for an additional 10-12 points. Without that herculean stretch, we would have been a bubble playoff team.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Defensively? I don't see why not, he's very responsible defensively while some people here tend to overrate how effective Plekanec is defensively, don't get me wrong, he's solid, but let's not act like he's Guy Carbonneau either.

Offensively? I don't think they need him to be replicate Plekanec's numbers offensively, I think Galchenyuk's role will be to do that. But to be honest, Plekanec was the Habs most used forward this year, in fact, he was one of the most used forwards in the entire league. Lars Eller scored 15 goals with virtually no PP time while playing with guys like Prust/Moen/Sekac/Parenteau/DSP/JDLR...is it really fair to assume he couldn't produce more offense if given more icetime in key situations like Plekanec gets???

IMO

Galchenyuk + Eller >> Plekanec

Plekanec put up 60 points this year. You can say whatever you want about playoffs but if you move out a guy like that and plug Eller in his spot, you probably end up out of the playoffs or at best needing all your spare change just to finish 7th or 8th.

Yes, Eller didn't play with great linemates, but that's in large part because he is a poor playmaker and not very creative. Also being on the 3rd line, a lot of those goals were scored against weaker players.

I think people on here massively underestimate how hard it is to put up 60 points in today's NHL. Galchenyuk is a very talented player and in his 3rd year, did not reach 50 points this year with similar offensive opportunities as Plekanec minus the defensive heavy lifting.

HABsurde

Jul 28, 2005
Montreal
This topic has been beaten to death. I still don't understand in a transition year, they (management / coaching staff) did not have Galchenyuk at C.

maybe because when your having the success this team had this year, the transition side takes a step back.... the problem with this city as that you need to perform and unless **** hits the fan early on in a season we are condemn to play for winning... we will never have a real transition period in a place like MTL, the only shot we have is like 3 years ago with the Cunneyworth debacle....

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

You shoot yourself in the foot twice in the first paragraph.

If the team needs a major infusion of offensive talent, obviously they won't beat top teams trying to play run and gun.

If you are missing top end skill, it makes all the sense in the world to play a grinding style to try and win that way.

MT is coaching the talent he has, much like in Pittsburgh when they scored more and were a lot more wide open...because they had a more skilled, less grinding team.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009

What bizarre world do you live in? If my boss instructs me to do do something I disagree with, I tell him I disagree, and why. If he still instructs me to do so, and it is legal, then I follow his instructions. He is my boss and it is his office.

What are you are suggesting is that the relationship between MB and MT is, frankly, insane.

MB has no need to fear MT or any of his coaching decisions when it comes to choosing player personnel on the team, because he can talk to him about it.

Slew Foots

Everything is OK
Sep 6, 2006
You shoot yourself in the foot twice in the first paragraph.

If the team needs a major infusion of offensive talent, obviously they won't beat top teams trying to play run and gun.

If you are missing top end skill, it makes all the sense in the world to play a grinding style to try and win that way.

MT is coaching the talent he has, much like in Pittsburgh when they scored more and were a lot more wide open...because they had a more skilled, less grinding team.

I'm not shooting myself in the foot. In the lockout shortened season, this team showed it had talent and was better suited to play an aggressive offensive style. We played that way before MT had a chance to implement DA SYSTEM.

We also had talent to start last season. More talent than we have now. We were set up to be a 3-line offensive team. Then MT decided otherwise. He killed Eller's creativity through unfair treatment, and he is killing Galchenyuk. We got rid of Sekac because he doesn't fit into MT's north-south chip n' chase scheme.

We had talent. We traded it away, or whipped it out of our players. A new coach could help to get our skilled players to rekindle their old creativity.

shawdowmaker

Dec 20, 2011
Montreal
after a 110 points season??? stop using smack brother....

The fans in Mtl know what's up! Ask yourself why the fans passion was so low this year at the start of the playoffs? The team did not look good in the sense that no goals were being scored, all about Price winning games! 2-1 games with Montreal getting peppered with shots and hanging on for dear life!!! Like most good habs/ hockey fans couldn't fool me! Getting dismantled by a young flames and Oilers team, dismantled by ANA, dismantled by SJ, or the first game vs LA I think the habs never touch the puck in that game! My point 110pts ya Okay.

HABsurde

Jul 28, 2005
Montreal
Despite obvious deficiencies that have been well documented. Price had a ridiculous two-month stretch where he had a .950+ save percentage, which have likely accounted for an additional 10-12 points. Without that herculean stretch, we would have been a bubble playoff team.

agree on that, but he is part of the team, so as ridiculous his stretch was, he did it, and we have to live with the conséquences of his good play... i believe what need to be done is on Bergevin sides of team, it's for him to be the GM and to form the team, and if Therrien is not happy with the players Bergevin is providing, than sucks for him and if he can find a way to do the job, is ass will be kick out of the curves....

But put this into perspective, Price performed miracles this year, but if the system wasn't so defense oriented, maybe he would'nt have.....

HABsurde

Jul 28, 2005
Montreal
The fans in Mtl know what's up! Ask yourself why the fans passion was so low this year at the start of the playoffs? The team did not look good in the sense that no goals were being scored, all about Price winning games! 2-1 games with Montreal getting peppered with shots and hanging on for dear life!!! Like most good habs/ hockey fans couldn't fool me! Getting dismantled by a young flames and Oilers team, dismantled by ANA, dismantled by SJ, or the first game vs LA I think the habs never touch the puck in that game! My point 110pts ya Okay.

Yeah and we beat Chicago, Saint-Louis, Rangers... what's your point? There is things to be work in this team, many things, but you don't throw everything away after a 110 points season.... that's not true.... and people in here instead of looking at way to twirk things to make this team better, they want to blow everything up.... that's stupid.....

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Every interview is taped. You can go back and look for them contradicting each other. Its around the end of January.

It was also covered in LaPresse

Basically
Therrien says Galchenyuk seeked him out to tell him to move him back to wing.

Galchenyuk says
Therrien asked him to move back to wing.

What difference does it make?

Bottom line, what the Habs need more than what position he plays is for him to become a premier offensive talent. A big part of the reason he's on LW(and Bergevin said that recently on radio) is they want him to thrive offensively before they add more things to learn in terms of faceoffs and defensive coverage.

Putting him at C and having to play him 13-14 minutes a game to keep him away from Stamkos and Johnson will not help his development it will ****** it. Other than in the defensive zone, he can do all the same things as a LW as a center can, it doesn't hold him back in any way.

The main thing he has to do and a few analysts touched on it is he needs to stop with the junior moves on every rush, trying to always beat guys 1 on 1, the book is out and NHL d-men are rarely beaten 1 on 1 by anybody. He needs to use his reach and stride to back them up or go wide, Pacioretty does this well. Apparently the coaches have been on him about this. He also needs to give the puck and get it back more also instead of trying to beat everybody by himself. He has good vision but tends to wait until he is pinned by the d-man to try to make a play.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I'm not shooting myself in the foot. In the lockout shortened season, this team showed it had talent and was better suited to play an aggressive offensive style. We played that way before MT had a chance to implement DA SYSTEM.

We also had talent to start last season. More talent than we have now. We were set up to be a 3-line offensive team. Then MT decided otherwise. He killed Eller's creativity through unfair treatment, and he is killing Galchenyuk. We got rid of Sekac because he doesn't fit into MT's north-south chip n' chase scheme.

We had talent. We traded it away, or whipped it out of our players. A new coach could help to get our skilled players to rekindle their old creativity.

The lock out year is a half season where a pile of veterans showed up out of shape and struggled to get going. It's more likely to skew numbers than be a true indication. The Habs also snuck up on a lot of teams after finishing 28th.

How can Therrien kill Eller's creativity? He never had any.

Again, Glachenyuk is getting top 6 minutes and PP time, the only unfair treatment he is getting is to himself in being stubborn with his junior moves. He has the talent to be a very good NHL player, probably a 1st liner, but not until he adapts his puck skills to the NHL and uses his teammates more.

habaholic

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The lock out year is a half season where a pile of veterans showed up out of shape and struggled to get going. It's more likely to skew numbers than be a true indication. The Habs also snuck up on a lot of teams after finishing 28th.

How can Therrien kill Eller's creativity? He never had any.

Again, Glachenyuk is getting top 6 minutes and PP time, the only unfair treatment he is getting is to himself in being stubborn with his junior moves. He has the talent to be a very good NHL player, probably a 1st liner, but not until he adapts his puck skills to the NHL and uses his teammates more.

Totally agree. The easy thing, it seems, is to blame the coach but hey, blame away!

HabsDieHard*

THIS TEAM POST 11 fu%?$ 0 POINTS !!!!!

Yeah you should definitely just look at the point totals to determine how the season went for the Habs.

I wonder why you go with such a simplistic approach.

:sarcasm:

HabsDieHard*

well, DA record exist, like it or not.

Changes has to be made, but to say that an all shake up needs to happen is ludicrous

Not really, it would simply mean Bergevin took a proactive approach and recognized the team wasn't winning the cup with a predictable, stubborn fool like Therrein as coach.

Unfortunately, Bergevin is a meek GM who just likes to feed lip service to the media, and he will certainly take the reactive approach and and fired Therrein in 18 months time when the whole team finally tunes him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad